Report: Goodell wants Eagles' ‘Tush Push' permanently banned

I HATE the idea of the league policing plays because one team has proven to be so much better at it than any other. That’s a Pandora’s box. Someday a QB who can throw it 110 yards will be banned cause it’s not fair to the other teams. Or something similar.

Yes, someone will probably get hurt. Just like guys get hurt on special teams/crossing routes/routine tackles/sacks/when running full speed/running when no one’s around/in contested catch situations/in a blocking scrum/on and on and on.

Football is a violent game.

I think it’s a thousand times worse when the ref “lets it play out” because they can fix it in replay. First of all it sets a precedent for the “call on the field.” If it’s close at all one team gets the benefit of the doubt because the refs were too chickenshit to make a call.

Second, someone is going to get hurt in the broken play aftermath. Of a play that should never have happened. These are especially egregious in QB throwing the ball forward, ball-in-hand situations. The refs regularly let those play out “just in case,” even though sometimes it couldn’t be more obvious.

Just make the best call you can. I can’t believe someone hasn’t gotten hurt yet on a play that should have been whistled dead much earlier. When it happens everyone will be up in arms. And they should be.

1 Like

When did they change the rule about pushing players forward? I recall you couldn’t push like even a RB now you see they push for like 5 more yards.

When D pushes a RB back when tackled they put ball back to point he was tackled ,yet they are allowing players to push a pack forward an keep the yardage. Now a team finds a way to gain on QB sneak they want to change it but yet no complains when they push the line for 5 yards?

This league just keeps changing to make it game they want not fans. Now we see how many fair catch on kickoffs an get ball at 25.

To top it off they restrict the start kick teams even have if a team try’s a return.

They can’t even call the rules they have now from game to game. That was PI on the KC WR last night at end of game just a plain easy example to use. So many every game are missed or wrong. Yet league wants to take away more before they fix what they have.

Was that a tush push or a bush mush?

The NFL loves scoring and points. It’s good for ratings and the tush push creates lots of first downs and easy TD’s so the NFL has a conflict of interest here.

Is someone gonna snap there neck? Likely but they also love tons of scoring

I agree with this in the sense that it is such a specific circumstances. So where does it stop? I mean there are dozens of plays a year where we see a RB on first down run into two LBS 7 years upfield and before you know it two of his lineman and a WR are right there pushing him passed the first down marker.

Less injury? 100%. But if the spirit of the rule is “no pushing”, well that’s pushing.

I agree that this has become much more common than it used to be and honestly, if they want to put a “no pushing” rule in because of that, I wouldn’t complain as much. Because it’s a rule that affects every team equally. (Even though I think those are actually entertaining plays to watch).

But it’s outlawing the tush push specifically that I find unacceptable. So what they’ll probably do is outlaw pushing and the tush push will die because of it. Whatever. I still think it’s chickenshit but at least it’s got a candy coating to make it go down easier.

And when the Eagles hit 90% instead of 99% on QB sneaks, everyone will still want to ban it for some other reason.

I heard Diana Roussini about two months ago talking about how this was the likely outcome. The way she made it sound is that it’s not about Philly having a competitive advantage bc of it but instead that Roger and quite a few owners hate the aesthetic of the play and feel that in terms of demographics for growth the further away from rugby aesthetics the better.

She made it sound like it’s more about money.

Please also ban QBs sliding on designed runs

1 Like

Drives me nuts when they slide at the last second then get hit and here comes the laundry.

I’ve even seen a fake slide and keep running a couple times. That deserves a shot in the ribs

2 Likes

And consider banning refs. They don’t do much or do too much.

1 Like

He’s still gonna get A LOT of QB sneaks by Philly, not much of a different aesthetic really.

I understand it for a QB who has been flushed from the pocket, but when it’s on a true run, it’s just an abuse of the rule book

Dont see an issue with it. Get tougher if you wanna stop it

I want to agree with you, but playing defense is practically illegal at this point

1 Like

Maybe. But I don’t think they’ll be doing them from 3 yards out.

Haha…

Ref: “illegal defense on the defense, number everybody…Chiefs ball…first down…”…
Kay Adams Sport GIF by FanDuel

Sometimes they get as much TV time as a QB.

Talked about at 22:00. Roussini being even more explicit that it’s about the aesthetic and that Roger hates the aesthetic.

I would like to propose a package deal of banning the tush push AND Roger Goodell.

1 Like

Judging from his dad, JJ McCarthy would probably excel at the tush push.