Report: Goodell wants Eagles' ‘Tush Push' permanently banned

If it happens, good riddance.

6 Likes

it’s the major outlier of a league moving towards flag football…

this is going back towrads rugby.

OUTLAW IT says King Goodell

1 Like

Good way to get your neck broken.

Should be banned. You can’t pull a player forward. A push is the same damn thing.

4 Likes

why because that’s his move in the bedroom ?

This is exactly my thought and has been since last year. Every time I think about defending it and the next tactic we may see, I can’t help but think of Mike Utley and an OL torquing his neck wrong beneath a 340 lb DL driving him into the turf.

2 Likes

Bad memory.

2 Likes

Urban Meyer does not want the Tush Push banned.

1 Like

I believe it will ultimately end up with a QB being injured and then action will be taken.

I bet it’s banned under cant push a player forward similar to old NCAA Reggie bush thing

I agree with Goodell for probably the first time ever. If you’re going to take out kick returns from the NFL, which are exciting, we sure don’t need this lame stuff. I’m not sure that Hurts can’t do it most of the time on his own without the push though. His line wins the push and he squats 600 lbs. It might not matter that much he’s not getting pushed from behind.

2 Likes

For sure. You have to believe there is a concern for the same thing in the league office. Teams aren’t going to just let it happen to them without trying to counter in some other way.

Then there’s also the attempts by lesser teams that are going to result in injuries to themselves.

On a lighter note, I’m waiting for the next Combine drill to be added. Seems like there’s a name for all the props and drills, maybe we tip Ted the Sled forward and make them push it back while doing a Lizard Crawl. Can just imagine the fun Rich Eisen would have with that.

Unless you’re getting pushed into an immovable object headfirst (3 D linemen). I know it’s probably low risk but I can see it happening.

There is an injury risk for sure. Which is why I think it’s gone. And it should be. I’m just not sure that Philly might still run it all the time minus the push from behind. If you watch Hurts, he doesn’t just plow into the line, he takes a quick look and looks for the weakest spot, and then he uses those powerful legs of his, combine that with the fact his o-line seems to always win the push and it’s pretty unstoppable.

2 Likes

ill be honest, people think its Hurts that allows the tush push

id argue its more Jason Kelce, who is so good in general, he makes it work.

this is his last year most likely (maybe also lane johnson aswell)

so Eagles got some interesting choices ahead of them next season.

1 Like

I would go with both of them. Tush push isn’t going to work with Jared Goff. Would be more like the automatic fumble push.

1 Like

I like how they broke it down showing the leverage, feet and alignment.

1 Like

The original:

2 Likes

Neither does JJ McCarthy’s dad. He needs the tush tap variant available for the CFP.

1 Like

I think it’s both. Hurts with his power lifter background has the strength and the footwork to keep his base underneath him which allows for additional attempts by him or those coming behind to drive him forward. But Kelce getting so low so quickly off the snap is part of it for sure.

I don’t think it’s the rugby scrum that is going to lend itself to injury, but LB’s diving over top and concussing someone that’s going to raise its head. But how is that different than any short yardage stand? Baring injury though, it just seems like a team figured out how to increase their chances of a one yard gain and because it isn’t sexy, it must be excised…