Report: Mike Vrabel wanted full control of Titans, had soured relationship with owner

Thought the very detailed nature of this article warranted its’ own thread.

There are references to analytics on the player personnel side. What isn’t said, but remains the elephant in the room, is the front office’s trade of Pro Bowl WR A.J. Brown to the Eagles in exchange for first and third-round picks in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Clearly, that was not based upon performance, but an attempt to play moneyball.

Brown’s cheaper replacement, Treylon Burks, hasn’t exactly set the league on fire:

And Vrabel’s initial reaction to the trade wasn’t a happy one:

1 Like

I’ll bet he was unhappy when they traded AJ Brown. Tannehill’s regression right after he lost his #1 receiver basically took them out of playoff contention.

1 Like

He’s not seen eye to eye with two GMs now, and wants full control of the roster. I don’t think there’s many teams willing to give that kind of power to the HC.

If Vrabel is willing to compromise he’ll get a new job this cycle, if not then he might never get back in. Obviously the Patriots are a logical connection for him but with Kraft having just fired Belichick and one of the major issues there being how much power Belichick had it would surprise me if Kraft gives Vrabel the same.

2 Likes

I think in general it’s a very bad idea to give personnel control to the head coach. It almost never works out. So if those were his demands, I agree with the Titans for moving on.

3 Likes

It’s also a shit ton of extra work. Imagine Campbell drafting, signing free agents and making trades without Holmes.

Where do you find the time for all of those things and still focus on improving the current players on the roster. Something gets lost in the shuffle

Another note on Vrabel. I think he’s a decent coach but lets be honest here. He hasn’t won a playoff game in 4 straight seasons. He’s not in a position to be asking for full control of player personnel. Win a super bowl and lets talk.

Yeah but who ever traded AJ Brown should be publicly flogged and never be allowed around a football field again

2 Likes

That person was fired.

1 Like

Lets make this lions relevant… remember vrabel was another bullet dodged. Alot on here wanted him over MCDC

I think you’re confused.

Many here wanted Vrabel, who joined the Titans in 2018, over Patricia when the latter was hired in 2018.

3 Likes

I chuckle as I wonder how he would have gotten along with Quinn. Quinn and Patricia were tight and, if we believe the reports, even they weren’t together on the Okudah pick. You wonder if Vrabel would even coach for a team where Quinn worked, having known him from his Patriot days.

Thanks for correction yes it was over matty fat pants

What was Parcells favorite saying, “You want me to cook the meal, at least let me but the grocery.”

Would love to have him on our roster

I guess it depends on what he meant by full control. I think it is perfectly reasonable for a coach to want final say. I don’t think it’s doable for a coach to wear both titles. I think the two are different. I can see Vrabel wanting that after his star receiver was traded out from under him.

Holmes doesn’t make any moves without Campbell’s buy in, but Campbell isn’t in Tuscaloosa on Saturdays scouting corners either.

I think it can work if it’s set up like SF. Shanny was given final say but he trusts the FO to do the legwork while he’s doing actual coaching. He knows they’re looking for prospects who fit his scheme and preferences, so by the time he’s looking into them it’s basically a rubber-stamp process.

Bill made all the decisions in NE. Sure he had some of the legwork done for him, but he made decisions in spite of what his guys thought.

The info on both of those is 2nd hand so take that into account, but the latter seems to be the way it’s most often done, and it almost never works. Especially in today’s day and age.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.