Report: Steelers Plan To Release CB Desmond King If They Can't Trade Him

Detroit native. Lions need depth in the secondary. Worth a flier IMO.

3 Likes

Why they cutting him ?

Its his first year there, hasnt fit in their system I guess. Was released by Houston in the offseason. Not great signs obviously, but also makes him a cheap bounce back candidate. Throw in the home town kid motivation, worth a shot.

Also they signed Darius Rush off Chiefs PS to take his place.

1 Like

His 2022 PFF grade was 73.2. That’s pretty good.

To put that in perspective, James Bradberry is coming off the second-highest-graded season of his career both in terms of PFF grade (71.7), which ranked 27th at the position, and in PFF coverage grade (77.1), which ranked 12th among cornerbacks.

2 Likes

whose wife did he sleep with?

1 Like

Desmond King is listed as a NB, @CasanovaJack1 what do you got to say about this Iowa DB?

So Steelers get Porter Jr & Darius Rush. That’s great

Maybe we can sign him in a few years from them like we did Sutton

1 Like

He would have been a first round pick but he stayed for his senior year after promising his mother he would get his degree. It cost him millions. The following season his numbers dropped because they quit throwing at him and he ended up being a 5th round pick by the Chargers. Once in the pro’s he excelled, he was a first team all pro as a CB and a second team all pro as a punt returner in 2018.

In 2021 he had 93 tackles, 6 PD’s and 3 int’s. In 2022 he had 89 tackles, 8 PD’s and 2 int’s.

Steeler’s ■■■■■■ up, we need to sign him. Adios Harris.

3 Likes

It sounds like he just wasnt good enough in Pittsburgh.

'Purely Physical, On-The-Field Play': Beat Reporter Indicates Desmond King Not What Steelers Expected - Steelers Depot

I still think hes worth a look. We are a Sutton or Jacobs injury away from starting rookie UDFAs. Would feel much better with an experienced vet in the mix.

2 Likes

I agree with Steelers, would rather have Darius Rush than NB5 here

Rush has the size and speed, but a 5th round pick not even making it out of training camp raises some big red flags.

1 Like

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

A 5th round pick who was a first team all pro and is still putting up decent numbers? Rush is the future, we need a here and now guy.

1 Like

I was talking about Rush as the 5th round pick that didnt make it out of camp. King was also a 5th roud pick, but has had great success. He also has experience playing outside, nickel and safety. That versatility would seem to make him a valuable depth player, provided hes not washed.

While 28 isnt old, DBs tend to have shorter careers. And he has been cut by 2 teams in the last couple of months so there are warning signs.

He had a 2 year $7 million contract that Houston got out from under, but they got their money’s worth in the 2 years they had him.
" King, 28, played over 900 snaps for the Houston Texans in each of the last two seasons, and did it relatively well, especially in 2022, when he had an 89.2 passer rating when targeted per Pro Football Focus."

2 Likes