Full official list

Orange Names - Non-Rookie First Year Players
Teal names - Draft Picks
Yellow - UDFAS
Red - Tryouts UDFA
Pink - Tryouts Vets

Teal birthday - unknown placeholder
Red birth place - out side of USA

Theres currently only 1 roster spot unofficially. So if they want to sign more than 1 tryout player, someone must be cut.

3 Likes

It looks like there is about a half dozen current roster vets attending the rookie minicamp.
Brandon Joseph
Mitchell Agude
Michael Niese
Connor Galvin
Chris Smith
Mathieu Betts

It doesn’t look good for those players.
I was thinking that it could also be for players new to the Lions like Betts and Agude, but Galvin and Joseph have been with the Lions for over a year.
Probably needed some extra bodies in those positions to fill out the camp and they volunteered or were volunteered.

2 Likes

Bets makes sense for yea to fill out a roster ad well as hes only ever been in 1 preseason before.

The rest are definitely there to compete for depth. Some of those vets might get released in favor of some tryouts

Not sure what RAS score means but if 8+ is good then it looks like a good possibility for some OL depth.

1 Like

RAS is Relative Athletic Score. It’s a score that takes a players athletic profile, spits it into a weighted algorithm based on position and then compares it to other players at their position historically. 10 = most athletic profile at their position ever. 0 = least athletic profile at their position ever.

1 Like

“weighted algorithm” = attempts correlate the measurements with past measurements of players who have done the best at the position.

At least that’s what I think is happening. I don’t know if the standard-bearers really exist in its formula any longer. That may have been abandoned a long time ago. The scores also use projections or estimates at certain times and is often incomplete in its total number of measurements. It was an interesting effort that settled in on something that could be mass produced without a full dataset.

1 Like

Updated info with official list from the Detroit Lions

I work on algorithms and the way you do this is to give a multiplier to the scores that you want to be most important.

Example:

For a DT, shuttle cone (short area quickness) arm length, and bench reps (strength) may be the best indicator of potential to be dominant.

Compare that to WRs where 40 time, vertical, and 3cone may be most important so you multiply those scores by a higher number to make their weight increase when compiling the overall.

I have an excel algorithm that is kind of similar where you can change the inputs and weights and it will recalculate the overall score. If I find the motivation to tweak it for this use case, I can make it a google sheet if anyone is interested.

Here is the actual calculator and you have to input the position. It would be very possible to reverse engineer what their weightings are by running simulations per position:

3 Likes

Ah, a fellow data nerd. I’m also a data analyst by trade (though I’m back in school for software development now). I put together an algorithm for the KCS scores for the draft class a couple years ago, but sadly ran out of time to complete this years class - full time work and school doesn’t leave much free time.

I’ve never taken the time to reverse engineer the RAS weights, but I should because I don’t always agree with the final score and think some could use work. Especially when it comes to NT.

2 Likes

I read a tweet by another of you data nerds who explained he doesn’t really use RAS and said something to the effect of the weights being too influential on the formula. Which is obvious when we realize a 400 pound receiver - who would undoubtedly suck - would score a 10 for it.

But it’s not just that. Kancey for instance was punished too heavily for being 6’1, 280 despite putting up an all-time freakish times for that weight (and his position). Should he really be compared against guys like Jordan Davis? It’s almost like they should break each position down into its roles.

I also wish he kept a metric for arm length (though you can find it on mockdraftable).

1 Like

Love it and my hat off to you juggling all that!

As you are mentioning, even for sub position you have to account for different weightings.

Short area quickness is more important for a slot WR vs height, speed, vert for an outside. A 3tech vs a 5 tech.

I have a feeling that Holmes as a former DL and having played a role in scouting Aaron Donald, really looks for that off the line burst/reaction time that is not measured in the combine/RAS.

Levi had it and it was why Holmes was so high on him.

I think that is why Wingo was a priority as well:

Strengths

• Hustles to beat the blocker to the spot.
  • Uses hands and power to work across lateral blocks.
  • Good bend and base strength to challenge a downhill block.
  • Above-average reactive athleticism with short-area quickness.
  • Experience rushing off the edge expanded his skill set and process.
  • Lateral quickness and leverage create rush wins into the pocket.
2 Likes

I don’t know that the scores are weighted in that manner, or at least it has appeared they weren’t. I checked out a little while ago on these.

I’ve started caring less and less about the total RAS score but instead loving the convenience of being able to look up individual drills.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a nice way to find all the info you want in one place. I almost always google “so-and-so RAS” when looking for arm length or height or vert or whatever.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.