Running Back Comps

Gray has more wiggle in tight spaces than Waters. Doubt he has the receiving chops as well. Of course Waters having been a WR in college has more than most.

Yeah I’ve never been a fan of that one. Same as the Kamara-Gibbs one, they’re just not all that similar overall. They share a couple of traits but it doesn’t hold up from a macro view.

A guy that Gibbs reminds me of is Eric Metcalf. Ginbs is a little bigger and probably not quite that level of receiver.

So they are all studs this year?

1 Like

Yeah and I think he’s actually more of an every down back than Metcalf. Or at least he has the potential to be. I think Metcalf is ideally a weapon.

It’s a very good class, but no, they’re not all studs. As I said in the original post:

“And I’m not saying they’re going to be as good or as bad as the running back they’ve been comped to, just that they have similar skill sets/size/style.”

1 Like

This class is so stacked that Adrian Peterson will be available in the 4th round!

I know you’re joking, but some people are gonna think you’re serious. Or at least they were I guess until I posted this.

What round will the next Barry Sanders be mocked in!? Anybody get 2700 rushing yards and 40 TD’s last season, haha

Love what @Thats2 does, but so much of this is just good luck, especially when it comes to drafting RB’s.

Thurman Thomas is this year. So that means Barry isn’t going to be available until next year.

1 Like

Why not both, I got my Barry OSU jersey in the cellar… but shit lets go!!

I actually think RB is somewhat easier to predict because such clearly good players are available later in the draft due to RB not being valued as highly.

My two favorite day 3 options last year were Damian Pierce (though I thought I would go in the 3rd) and Tyler Allgeier. Both of those guys are hits.

The year before it was Khalil Herbert and Chris Evans so that’s a 1 out of 2, and the year before that I loved James Robinson who’s definitely outplayed his UDFA status.

Now obviously because they’re RBs they’ll get hurt, so in that sense luck matters a lot. I really liked Kerryon when he was coming out (though as a 3rd round value, not a 2nd), but injuries killed his career. James Robinson has struggled ever since the achilles injury. Shit happens at RB which is why I think the less we spend, the better.

This year there’s so many I like it’s hard to choose. Spears, Abanikanda, Roschon, Bigsby, Evans and Deuce are my favorites, but I still really like McBride, Mitchell, Brown, Miller and Gray too. I really do feel like they could all contribute, which I know sounds nuts but we haven’t seen a RB class like this maybe ever. I certainly can’t remember one.

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t think it’s hard as hard to pick out guys who are most likely going to succeed at RB in the NFL. Sure, there’s always the chance you’re wrong, but l mean for example:

I also thought Pierce was going to be one of those guys who made the jump pretty easily. And again, I agree with you in this draft is loaded with talent of guys who can (and will if drafted to the right places) be successful.

I think this is one of the deepest and best RB drafts in memory. Which is why, no matter how much I love Bijan, I had to hop off the train of drafting him in the first, which I was solidly on at the end of the Lions season.

2 Likes

Yup, 100%. I’d honestly be more surprised if we somehow missed in this draft. And with so many guys it wouldn’t shock me if one fell to our pick in the 5th. I wouldn’t bank on it, but Brad & Co might decide to wait to see who falls, and if it starts to thin out, trade up a little bit to make sure we don’t completely miss out.

I like Gray from Oklahoma
Reminds me of Tevin Coleman

I’d comp Bijan closer to Todd Gurley, and he wasn’t too bad until that nasty tackle on the Rams first drive in the greatest MNF game ever (2018 vs KC) changed things (imo)

And I’d gladly use 6oa for a Reincarnated TGII

Gurley was a wide-zone stud, a one-cut and go star who really thrived once McVay got there. To me Bijan is much shiftier, stronger, and frankly, less likely to stick to the blocking plan than Gurley. Plus Gurley was more upright and angular as a runner.

1 Like

I agree they might draft one this year, SOMEWHERE in the draft. So I’ll just take him late and be done with it. I think he’s going to fall but be just fine in the league.

:pensive:

1 Like

Gurley was pretty nifty with Jeff Fisher also, a complete heady RB in every sense

2nd best Rams runner I ever saw next to ED (SJax 3 Faulk 4)

But if you really believe he’s a EJ comp, then it would make sense to draft him late 1st early 2nd, I don’t see it that way, EJ wasn’t your RB that comes around every 5 years or so

I believe Bijan is

Time will reveal my friend

So it’s not really a comp as to how their careers are gonna play out so much as a style and skill set comp. I think Tucker is a far worse prospect than Tiki Barber for example, it’s just that they’re physically and stylistically similar. I don’t know if Robinson’s career will be better or worse than Edgerrin’s (and he’s in the Hall of Fame so it seems like that would be a pretty good career lol), it’s just I think they move in a similar way, are essentially the same size, and have similar strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like