Running Back Comps

These came up a little in the Bijan thread and I thought I’d make a new one out of it. I think it’ll help everyone see just how deep this RB class really is.

So for me a comp is usually stylistic but can also be “what they’ll bring to the offense comps” (see Charbonnet below). And I’m not saying they’re going to be as good or as bad as the running back they’ve been comped to, just that they have similar skill sets/size/style.

• Bijan Robinson - Edgerrin James. This is the one that sort of kicked everything off and I was really proud of myself when I thought of it, only to find out the main draft expert over at PFF uses the same comp lol. So I probably stole it from him without realizing it. But it’s also one I really agree with. They’re the exact same size and both have a shifty strong running style, and Edge was one of the first elite pass-catching RBs too. As @CuriousHusker says Bijan is probably a little less disciplined, but that also makes him more creative. Edge might have been a little stronger but they’re both plenty strong.

• Jahmyr Gibbs - CJ Spiller but a better pass-catcher. Similarly sized guys, they’re both electric and explosive one-cut runners who annihilate angles. And like Spiller, Gibbs gathers himself to make sharp, lateral cuts, it’s almost like they’re moving too fast to slow down. I think he’d fit best in a zone scheme that asks him to make one cut and go, in fact I think he’d be a star.

• Zach Charbonnet - James Conner. This is less a stylistic comp and more of a “what he’ll do for an offense” comp, though certainly they have a lot in common. But like Conner you’ll rarely see Charbonnet break off any 20+ yard runs in the pros, but you’ll see plenty of 7-15 yard runs all the way down the field. Strong, tough and steady.

• Roschon Johnson - Adrian Peterson. I know it sounds crazy but just go watch his highlights and imagine him in those putrid purple unis. You don’t even have to break down his tape fully to see the similarities, the frenetic running style, the aggression, the size and length. They really look a lot alike.

• Tank Bigsby - Miles Sanders. They’re both a little angular and upright, they both cut and go and I wouldn’t call either one patient or smooth. What I mean by that is they both have hyper running styles, like they floor the accelerator when they get the ball. It’s a full of energy style.

• Sean Tucker - Tiki Barber. This is another stylistic comp, I don’t have Tucker rated anywhere near as highly as a prospect. But they’re the exact same size and it’s easy to see Tucker’s thin, sort of upright but smallish frame, not to mention his blazing speed and see Tiki Barber. At least it is for me.

• Zach Evans - Dalvin Cook. Like @Air2theThrown I really love Evans’s game. To me he’s kind of the prototypical running back. He’s got great vision and lean, he follows his blockers really well, he’s a good enough pass-catcher, and like Cook he’s more explosive than you think. He’s a little taller than Cook but their styles are very similar. The only reason I don’t regularly mock him to us is I’m worried he might be a turd, and as we all know Brad & Co have a no-turds policy.

• Israel Abanikanda - Tim Biakabatuka. Ever since @CuriousHusker mentioned this comp I can’t unsee it, they look like they could be twins on the field. I think Abanikanda’s a much better prospect, I think he’s stronger, has better vision, and might have a little bit more juice, but from a perspective of lookalikes it doesn’t get a lot closer than this.

• Devon Achane - Percy Harvin. As kick returns they’re very similar. Explosive guys who’ll house plenty of kickoffs/punts. Electric movement skills and really close in size too. Achane is a RB so he’s better at RB stuff between the tackles, though whether he’ll ever be good enough to do it with regularity is TBD. And Harvin was pretty good with handoffs as well. Achane is probably a little faster too but they’re both so fast it will hardly matter.

• Tyjae Spears - Thurman Thomas. Took me awhile to think of someone this size who was explosive but not necessarily straight-up fast, who could catch the ball, and who had fantastic RB instincts to boot. I finally settled on Thurman who might have a slightly smoother running style than Spears but who otherwise ticks a lot of the boxes. I LOVE Spears, though I’m worried his performance at the Senior Bowl has made him too expensive. Maybe he’ll run 4.5 to bring his hype back down a little.

• Kendre Miller - DeMarco Murray. Again similarly sized dudes with good contact balance and nothing flashy about their games, but who constantly seem to surprise DBs at the second level. Both players have outrunning bad angles all over their tape.

• Keaton Mitchell - Jason Huntley. Former Lion Jason Huntley who’s still hanging around in the league on the Pittsburgh practice squad (and he almost made the Eagles out of training camp). No, it’s not the most flattering comp but being a comp to Huntley doesn’t mean their careers will go the same way. But they’re both small, electric guys who played at small schools and often made the defense look silly.

• Chase Brown - Frank Gore. Watching them run you might think they’re the same guy. Brown is probably a little more explosive than Gore even, especially after Gore’s college injury, but Gore’s vision is a level above Brown’s as a prospect.

• Eric Gray - Curtis Martin. They’re the exact same size which is surprising, right? You think of Martin as being a bigger back and Gray as a smaller one, but nope. Same size. When I watched Gray I knew he reminded me of someone with the way he plants a hard foot in the ground as he moves forward without sacrificing much forward momentum at all, and I finally realized it was Martin. And they’re both good pass-catchers and tough to bring down, and while both have decent burst and good build-up speed, I wouldn’t call either explosive.

• Deuce Vaughn - Marcus Jones. The problem with most of the comps I see for Deuce - Sproles, Meggett, Jacquizz Rodgers - is none of them have Deuce’s juice. Vaughn is explosive, one of the more explosive guys in the class, and comping him to other small, shifty running backs just because they’re small felt disingenuous. Then I remembered Jones who entered the league as a DB but proved so explosive with the ball in his hands the Pats started using him on offense. Watch those plays - and the returns - then watch Deuce. They’re very similar. Of course Vaughn is much better at being a RB, but physically I think it’s a great comp.

• DeWayne McBride - Isaiah Crowell. Crowell is about ten pounds heavier than McBride is listed but I’m OK with that, they both butter their bread the same way. Tough, physical interior running with enough juice to surprise a defense. Similar leans to their running styles as well, and neither does much in the passing game. We’ll have to hope off-field issues won’t ruin McBride’s career like they did Crowell’s, but there’s no indication of anything like that so far.

• Mo Ibrahim - BenJarvus Green-Ellis. It’s surprising to me that Ibrahim is only listed at 210 pounds. He runs so hard and seems so impossible to bring down you just assume he’s bigger than that. He doesn’t look like a giant on tape but even then I expected something like 225. But there are other smaller, RBs who were tough to bring down, starting with Marshawn Lynch (215 at the combine). But Ibrahim’s not Lynch even if their styles were a match, he’s far too slow. And he’s too fast to be Elijah Holyfield, another similar runner. Green-Ellis is the perfect marriage of those two guys and when watching he and Ibrahim the similarities become clear.

Whew. That turned out to be a lot longer than I intended. But there’s just so many great running back prospects in this draft. So call me out, where did I screw up? Where am I way off base? I really think we’re in for a RB at some point this year so this is definitely a pertinent topic.

11 Likes

I don’t hate that comp, but I will say James didn’t have near the lateral quickness of a guy like Bijan. Bijan makes some of the quickest cuts I’ve ever seen.

I agree Bijan is quicker laterally, but when Edge hit the league before he ever got hurt he was was no slouch. There are plenty of almost 90 degree cuts on his tape. A lot of them jump cuts too.

3 Likes

This is great. I keep having that some thought but am hopeful that Mitchell performe better bc he’s so damn fun to watch.

On a different note, you don’t think Sproles had Vaughn like juice?

I don’t think Sproles had Deuce’s long speed, no. Vaughn is going faster 50 yards into a run than he is at the beginning. Sproles was shifty and plenty fast, but not that sort of electric, eye-opening speed Vaughn displays. He ran a 4.49 at the combine and that seems about right to me.

McBride’s gait really reminds me of Shaun Alexander. Otherwise totally different style of players of course.

Sean Tucker kind of reminds me of Michael Bennett. Rocked up track guy with poor instincts and is kind of robotic in his approach.

Dating myself here but Zack Charbonnet----> Gerald Riggs

2 Likes

This is a really nice list OP, thanks for putting it together.

When I see Zach Charbonet I see Jordan Howard.

2 Likes

I agree that its the lateral quickness that jumps out. I see LeSean McCoy.

2 Likes

Oooh, now this is a great one. Probably more in line with Tucker’s talent level as well. Will be stealing this one from you yet again. Thanks heh heh.

Gerald Riggs, now there’s a name. I remember him being the same type of back as Charbonnet but as for their similarities, that’s gonna require a trip to the YouTube lol.

1 Like

Yeah he’s almost like big, not terribly explosive back x. I went with Conner mostly for his more recent relevance, though I don’t think they’re perfect stylistic comps. But I think you’ll get basically the exact same thing out of Charbonnet as you would Conner.

Bijan is much bigger and stronger than McCoy, though admittedly their cutting is similar. But that’s why I went with James, he’s the same size as Robinson and while he might not be as elite as a cutter, I’d put him in the very, very good category (see video above). Plus there’s the pass-catching. He just seems a lot more similar to me as an overall player.

You got a comp for Chris Rodriguez Jr? He’s a guy I’ve looked at and thought he could look good in a Lions uni as a potential replacement for Jamaal, or that type of role, if he were to leave.

Rodney Hampton?

1 Like

What about Chris Warren (the Seahawks version no the Longhorn one) for Roschon Johnson? Warren played faster than his forty time from what I can remember.

Ha yeah it’s funny you should say that, because I remember distinctly there was an analyst that compared Peterson to Warren. I can’t remember who it was, don’t think it was Kiper or McShay. Was Mayock around back then?

Anyway yeah, Warren makes a ton of sense too. All three guys are pretty similar, though I think Roschon and Peterson are/were faster. But Warren had some kick return TDs too so like you said, faster than he tested.

1 Like

Holy cow that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time!

In before a Freeman McNeil reference.

1 Like

Tyler Allgeier is one I’ve heard that I can almost get 100% behind. Neither guy is all that explosive but they get what’s blocked, run guys over, and are hard to bring down. I think Allgeier has more juice than Rodriguez, but it’s not a strength of either one of their games.

2 Likes

Hampton was fun to watch. He ran like he played football in Logan’s Run and didn’t have to worry about arthritis.

Ricky Watters might be a decent comp for Eric Gray. He’s 3 inches taller but they weigh the same, both catch the ball, and both juke/cut while keeping their forward momentum. I think Watters may be a better athlete though.

1 Like

Nick Chubb is a common one for Charbonnet. I can see it but he’s such a poor man’s version of Chubb.

1 Like