Running Bax

The reasons I see RBs going later in this draft is

1. it is really deep at a lot of positions. Especially DL and WR. Lots of good CBs (always a need) and
    S as well and you can’t ignore some great OL talent. They will push solid choices into the 3rd.
  2. RBs today are more of a group and few are solo backs. They are often injured or banged-up so
    you can’t rely on just 1 guy. (Henry, McCaffrey, Chubb, Barkley).
  3. they have one of the shortest “life expectancies” in the NFL so spending high picks can be costly.
  4. It is a passing league for the most part, so backs today have to be able to catch AND BLOCK.
2 Likes

This is why I wanted J-Will so badly. Agree w/what you say. Also, regarding j-will
2. Durable AF
3. Durable AF
4. Catches and will get better at blocking (he’s made for that shit)

Swift, Williams, Jefferson, Reynolds, Cabinda, Igwhatever. All under contract.
Who you cutting?

I don’t believe there’s such a thing as a durable RB in today’s NFL. Some are more durable than others perhaps, but even Derrick Henry missed most of the year. McCaffrey was durable until he wasn’t. Zeke has little injuries all the time that affect his performance. Saquon is built like a brick shithouse and yet he can barely stay healthy. It’s just the nature of the game, which is why you should never draft a RB too high.

Neither do I. That’s a massive part of why J-will is so valuable. He’s an anomaly.

1 Like

He could get hurt just like any other RB. Jonathan Taylor is more of an anomaly to me, but he could get hurt too. And Henry’s the biggest anomaly, and he DID get hurt. It’s just a violent position.

I project he gets hurt like Bettis and Frank Gore did.

It is a violent position, and I feel for the LBs that have to face him.

1 Like

I get that we’ve got gaping holes at other positions, but you’re saying if somehow Hall were there at 66 or 97 you’d pass?

Why would I take players who won’t be there. If you want to play fantasy land that’s up to you. Look, you guys who keep pushing on a RB act like there won’t ever be an opportunity again.

1 Like

No, probably not AP. But potentially a Todd Gurley or Le’Veon Bell type back.

Bang on Lyon! Listen, we’ve invested to make the foundation of this team our OLine and ability to run the ball. Those investments up front will return exponentially if/when we upgrade the RB room with an additional guy who can gash defenses, score touchdowns and be a workhorse when he comes into the game.

I know RB as a positional value has diminished the past decade. That said, if a RB is valuable to any franchise, it’s a more valuable positional value to a team like ours that isn’t going to sling the ball around the field 50 times a game. RB means more to the Lions!

I’m not against the Lions taking a RB but I view RB as the second strongest unit on the team behind the OL. So I wouldn’t see it as a need.

If we did decide to get a RB then I’d hope we were trying to fill a need. So what type of RB would we go after then?

I think a receiving back / gadget player type. Someone with speed. A guy I like is Ty Chandler. He can catch and has sub 4.4 speed. We could use a player like that.

I can also see us looking for a hard running powerfully back. A guy I like is Dameon Pierce. @BigNatty you should watch some of this guys highlights. I think you will like this guy.

1 Like

If you are looking for a “complete” back later in the draft then I would be looking at Tyler Goodson from IOWA. He’s a legitimate receiving back and does well in space. My boy Pierce moved up big time since the combine, he won’t last past the 3rd.

1 Like

Hope we get one that works out. I can see either of these dudes as a nice piece, but I’m not nearly as partial to them as I was J-will. I’m all about always having a good OL and RB group, as well as a dominant DL.

Super-excited to see what Dan and Brad do w/this thing.

Kid squats 705 !

You mean the way Reynolds and Jefferson did?
Again, Swift, Williams, Reynolds, Jefferson, Cabinda, Igwibuke, all under contract.

One of the reasons you keep drafting RBs is this:

3. I think the $18.2-million cap hit this year for Ezekiel Elliott is proof it’s rarely if ever good business to do a second contract with a “franchise” running back. The vast majority just don’t pan out as being anywhere near worth the money.

Most don’t perform at a high level for long periods of time. Barry, Emmitt, etc. are the rare exceptions.

People trot out numbers with re to our RB’s but ignore what happened when Decker came back. They ignore that this is in fact a RB by committee team by design, that ANY RB they bring in simply isn’t going to get that many touches. That Williams got 42 first downs last season in his role. It’s a good to great room. I wasn’t opposed to taking a RB late because I liked a couple guys who I thought might fall. Well, I doubt that happens now. I suppose if we want to bring in an UDFA or a waived player, sure, let the competition begin.

3 Likes

I consider Gurley at his best to be on an AP level. I’m just not seeing it on film with Hall. On paper he sounds like it. And in highlights he looks like it. But when I watch the actual game film, I see a different guy than on paper and in highlights. I am seeing more of a Sony Michel level guy. And there is nothing wrong with that. Its just a matter of placing value on Sony Michel vs a Gurley or Bell level back.