S Barkley signs 1 year deal

Ian Rapoport tweet:
The Giants and star RB Saquon Barkley agreed to terms on a new 1-year deal worth up to $11M, sources say, as Barkley gives himself a chance to beat the franchise tag. He gets a $2M signing bonus.

Bottom line: Barkley is coming in & will be at training camp.

1 Like

Follow up tweet by Ian R

When a player doesn’t do a long-term deal by the mid-July deadline, the only option is a 1-year deal. But the two sides can negotiate that 1-year franchise tag into a 1-year new contract. It’s very rare. But that’s what happened here. Smart on all sides.

1 Like

So what your saying is he lost money.

Because the deal that was on the table was a 2 year deal for i believe $13m with incentives but $10m+ guaranteed.

The only way he makes more is if next year he can get a $15m contract which ain’t happening

1 Like

Would this prevent the Giants from tagging him next year? If it does, then Barkley took control of his career in exchange for less money this year. I can definitely see why he would do that. The Giants don’t want to commit to anything beyond 1 year contracts and Barkley wants out ASAP. He knows the window where any team will be willing to sign a long term deal is closing soon.

1 Like

I don’t think so but will let others chime in.

Definitely think this deal is in the Giant’s favor though.

How is it less money? Are you saying $13M per year was what was offered?

The google machine says that they can take him again next year. It would cost 120% of his current salary, so a little over $13M. Then to tag him again after that would be close to $20M.

A 2nd tag for Barkley is average of top 5 RB’s over 5yr period OR 120% of prior year salary, so $12.1M at a minimum.

Edited: I thought Barkley had been tagged twice, he wasn’t . . . edited my response.

He didn’t lose money and he’s in a better position. I doubt the contract offered was $26M/2yr with $10M guaranteed, the franchise tag is better than that as it’s only one year, same amount guaranteed.

Barkley gets $10.1M guaranteed this year, plus he will be a true UFA next season, able to negotiate with any and all teams. He will sign a multi year deal with probably in excess of $20M guaranteed and easily more than $13M per year.

Barkley is in a much better situation and it’s not even close.

Edit: Thought it was Barkley’s second tag, it’s not his first. $26M/2yr would probably be better if there was a larger guarantee (like 75% of base contract . . . ie $20M).

1 Like

Solidarity! Wow! That RBs group chat/conference call that Chubb and Ekler put together yesterday! Woooo! What motivators they are! Gonna Stick It To The Man!!!

Saquon does sound a little French though…I mean he kinda held out longer than the Maginot Line. Ish.

Yknow the alternate nameplate jerseys they sell?
NFL.com just posted Barkley’s…it reads

Phillipe Petain

Submit Season 4 GIF by Black Sails

2 Likes

You mean the hero of Verdun who later became a Marshall of France?*

*Preferred biography end point for his family

1 Like

Isn’t this years tag on Barkley his first tag? If so, next year would be a second tag and only cost the Giants 120% or somewhere between 12$ to 13$ mil. Seems the Giants might just do that and not allow Barkley to hit free agency. In 2025 the 3rd tag would become too expensive and the Giants would just let him hit free agency at that point.

Yeah, I can just see Josh Jacobs reading the headlines this morning, throwing his hands in the air, and muttering a few curse words.

Of course I’m sure Mr. Jacobs will reporting to his team in the near future as well.

You are correct, my bad . . . I’m going to edit my response, not to confuse people.

Thx

Requirements for Hero of Verdun-

Stop marching Divisions into withering machine gun/artillery fire.

Granted, the previous French Generals/ Marshalls were nicknamed “The Drinkers of Blood” by their own troops and the French Army was in a semi- revolt abandoning their lines just before Verdun…so Petain gets some points.

But running a Nazi rump state is not how you go out bro…

1 Like

Exactly what I was going to say! That sure lasted long. lol

His previous offer was basically the franchise tag for 2 years with incentives. It was
2 years 26m and 19.5 guaranteed.

Franchise tag would have been $10m this year and ~$12m next year. Or a
2 year 22.4m all Guaranteed contract.

So unless saquan gets a $15m contract with $11m guaranteed next year, he will be making less than the franchise tag AND the initial offer.

1 Like

I would have taken the 19.5 guaranteed if that report is accurate. That way he’d have some injury protection. If he blows something out this year on a 1 year deal, good luck getting paid next year.

3 Likes

I have a feeling a lot of these “hot shot agents” are telling the players false promises left and right. (See Jamal Williams)

Making players think they can get way more than whats offered and wind up making less in the long run

2 Likes

Looks like the incentives he “added” are not easily attainable.

Hence why the guaranteed money was so high. If he wants top 5 money he has to earn it. Dudes good. But is he NFL good or just good on a bad team.

It may not have meant they had to hold out since they all know the window is short

But it still could be productive for garnering attention and getting a unified voice to nflpa leadership etc