Seahawks first-round CB Devon Witherspoon reportedly holding out, is only NFL rookie without a contract

Maybe the Lions dodged a bullet there.

2 Likes

You could tell at the draft that the guys swagger and confidence in himself is off the charts. Thinking out loud, I am going to guess that the sticking point for the holdout is that the Seahawks are a team that likes to split up signing bonus payments. I am definitely on Spoon’s side on this one. They have one of the richest owner’s in the league. Its not a cash flow issue like a few teams have.

2 Likes

Then again, the way so many of these young guys blow all their money, splitting it up might be a good thing.

3 Likes

I remember we had a few posters that wanted Witherspoon here before-I was one of them.

Thought rookie salaries are slotted. Just to eliminate crap like this.

So hypocritical. The Seahags didn’t make Carrol wait for his lifetime supply of Doublemint gum, did they? But this kid has to wait for his bonuses. SMH.

The dollar value is known AND its guaranteed. The problem is some teams try to negotiate a “payment plan” for the signing bonus. So instead of putting all of the signing bonus into his account today, they try to split it up and pay some of it next spring (or whatever later date they can negotiate). 3 out of the 4 picks in front of him would have gotten their signing bonus immediately. The Cardinals pick being the exception. They do the payment plan stuff as well.

1 Like

He’s due a $20.1M signing bonus.

On the one hand, if they’re giving you 10 million dollars now and 10 million next spring, I can’t imagine fussing to the point that you’re holding out. Nice problem to have.
On the other hand, it is a SIGNING bonus – give it to him when he SIGNS.

Such problems!

1 Like

I think if it was a “cash poor” team like the Raiders, Cardinals or Bengals…you just kind of accept it. But I think the time is right now to break the Seahawks of this stupidity.

I don’t think the Lions do that, so it probably wouldn’t have been an issue if he’d been drafted Detroit.

1 Like