Secondary

Yepper! Will is a solid Slot and is multiple as hell.
He has made himself valuable. You’ll notice, he didn’t get a chance to test the market.

They have met this player couple times they are looking at a CB later in draft. Will they draft who knows but they are looking.

Check him out Cory Trice, CB, Purdue he had couple meetings 6’3″, 215 pounds two interceptions and 10 pass deflections while starting every regular season game.

3 Likes

Mosely is coming off a knee injury and only on a 1 year deal. Ideally he’s a “plug and play” but not 100% sure thing.

The only “sure thing” solid starter we have is Sutton.

I would take Gonzalez #6 overall.

Sutton/Gonzalez/Moseley starting, Jacobs/Lucas as back ups

Kerby locked in at one safety spot. I’ve got Okudah moving to safety and possibly challenging for a starting role. He needs to see the field in his last year before free agency if he wants to make money down the road and the best way to do it on this team is at safety. That leaves Walker/Harris/Iffy fighting for playing time.

1 Like

SS/NB Chauncey Garnder Johnson just like I said :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is an old thread , we’ve traded Okudah didn’t sign Hughes and got CGJ

But I’d like to circle back here to Brian Branch.

If you looked at the best football player on Alabama, it might be Brian Branch. Not saying he’s the best prospect or should be #1 pick

But he might be the best football player on that team. He tested slowly and he’s been off the discussion.

Will Harris & Tracey Walker are the 5th/6th DBs

CGJ 1 year deal

My preference is Quan Martin from Illinois but Branch at 18 …is there a better player to be had than him??

Where do we stand with him?

1 Like

Can Brian Branch play outside CB? We all know he was a lights out slot CB/NB Star defender.

But we have a huge need outside…and well CJGJ, Will Harris, Lucas are the inside guys as well.

I’m not a fan of switching a guy like Branch from a position he was SO good at in college…but I’m also not a fan of keeping our best players off the field.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Now we need him in the slot. We knew injuries would happen, but day 2?

Yup, nevermind disregard. Starting SLOT NB STAR DB

2 Likes

My thought is don’t disregard Jerry Jacobs. It’s pretty apparent he is highly thought of throughout the organization. He’s on that magical second year back from the ACL injury in December of 21.

Everyone has discussed this as a camp battle between Jacobs and Moseley for CB2, and that wouldn’t be the case if they thought he was a scrub.

4 Likes

I really like Jacobs, dude has some serious dog in him. However, he’s now had 2 ACL surgeries on the same knee, once in college, once as an nfl rookie, not sure how that holds up moving forward.

1 Like

My thought on that is he plays a position where that can happen to anyone at anytime. Perhaps he got a better quality of surgery and rehab this time around, perhaps it blows out tomorrow, or perhaps Sutton tomorrow. You never know when it comes to the wheel of misfortune, but he came back last year, and held his own. Second year removed is statistically better, so I think he’s the best we have out there at this point. We shall see.

4 Likes

Truer words have never been said about Lions players and injuries.

2 Likes

it has been dramatically changing the last couple of years

I feel like barring Levi becoming a pro bowler, most of these guys are still going to be doom & gloom extremist

2 Likes

Yep. Three years ago our injury rate was 11th worst, then (Dan’s first year) 2nd worst, and last year we were middle of the pack - 17th. And that felt like we were pretty healthy.

2 Likes

I think of it more as acknowledging statistical reality. Pretty much every GM in the league, past and present, agrees every player that they draft is a 50 50 proposition for anything to happen. You do your homework and try to shift the odds, but you never know. Every separate fan base believes their misfortune is unique, fact is they just aren’t all going to work out.

I love the work Holmes has done, but I’m also tempering my expectations with the reality of statistics, which is far from an indictment. At this point, any positive and meaningful snaps that Levi gives us takes Holmes draft class from fantastic to unicorn status.

haha - eeeeggg-zackly

no statistics will ever reflect how and why a dan Campbell team wins.

Completely agree.

Figured I’d put this one here as I’m posting for the just seemingly offhand comment at the end about Kirby Joseph. It’s what he does…

Goff has been extremely sharp in practice, throwing more touchdowns than incompletions the past two days. His only mistake was an interception to Kerby Joseph on the final play of the day, but Joseph tends to do that.

1 Like

Same article in the athletic had this little nugget

• Lions DBs spent part of practice working on communication in coverage. They split into two groups, with defensive backs coach Brian Duker running one and cornerbacks coach Dre Bly running the other. There were typically two to three DBs and two to three “WRs” (DBs lining up as WRs for the drill) who would immediately cross paths at the line of scrimmage, forcing the DBs to pass off to their teammate. Nothing too crazy, but a good thing to work on.

1 Like

Tyler Nubin is the perfect fit this year’s draft. 2024