Senior/Shrine Bowl Risers

For me it’s Carter or don’t bother in the first as far DTs go. Yeah I don’t want to do the SOL method of drafting where we’re reaching for players due to need.

1 Like

It’s kind of where I’m at but I would take a serious look at Bresee in a trade down scenario. Carter, is he worth moving up for? Well, I would rather not but he may very well be worth it. I also get that if we take a guy like Benton we at least have a run stopper and can rotate with guys already on our team. I would rather that our DT’s be able to stop the run because we will get pressure from the DE position vs the pass. Last season you could run OR pass at will on us, a D becomes much, much better when it can make the opposition 1 dimensional.

3 Likes

One of the reasons I think Benton was a big winner was for what he showed as a pass-rusher. We know what we’re getting out of him against the run but I was really surprised at how sudden he looked in attack. Maybe it was because he lost weight (checked in at 312 pounds), but it didn’t affect him any against the run, he held up as well as you’d expect. He really looked like more of an all-around DT at the Senior Bowl.

Which of course means he’s probably going a lot higher than he’s regularly mocked right now.

2 Likes

Well, I tend to give less weight to what you see in a small sample size like this and am more interested in their seasonal play. Jared DeVries had a great first step, first time he played against a guy he could blow them up but it didn’t take long for players to figure him out. I think you see some of that in these practices. Best example is probably when the WR’s juke the D players. They can embarrass you but can they do it over and over? These guys have zero film on the people they are going up against.

Yeah fair enough. And he didn’t show much pass-rushing chops on tape. For me it’s like a highlight reel, not all that great for judging down-to-down production, but good for showing what they’re capable of at their best.

One of Chris Ballard’s famous scouting maxims is something along the lines of (paraphrasing) “If I’ve seen them do it once, I know they can do it. It’s up to my coaches to get it out of them.” Benton just showed that he can do it, and against pretty much the best of the best of the senior class. So now it’s on FOs to find out why he didn’t do it on tape. Was he just too heavy? This is one of the areas where we really lack info. Interviews, medicals, personalities, etc…

But it’s still a projection for sure, which I think is baked into his cost.

2 Likes

A good coach will find things in you that you didn’t know were there.

Reed goes deep a ton though. I think he can replace chark

1 Like

I’m just not sure he can survive the bullies on the outside in the NFL. He measured at 5’10.5 190 at the Senior Bowl and thrived when he had two-way go’s as he would in the slot. I’m not saying he can’t play outside, he did it enough in college to make you think it’s a possibility (he was especially great in contested catch situations), but he can for sure be a great slot option (and he can still go deep from the slot). It’s for this reason I think a team with a need at slot receiver will take him early. Earlier than we’d be willing to.

2 Likes

I agree. Chark is 5 10 too i believe

Nope 6 "4 , 198 lbs ran 4.34

4 Likes

I also liked Julius Brents movement skills for a corner his size. His stock wasn’t the only thing that was rising you know what I mean?

1 Like

When Trey wins he often really wins. I wonder if he paid Da Problem royalties fir that hop.

I heard he really shone on day 3.

I don’t love the WR class up top but there are going to be some guys going picks 75-125 that have a chance to be excellent pros.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Too bad we’ve only got one pick in that range.

1 Like

I think Trey’s hands are more consistent but he otherwise reminds me of Darius Slayton

1 Like

Yeah I can see that. We should have moved for Slayton before his little resurgence. He would have been a dirt cheap but viable piece.

1 Like

Agreed. Though his concentration drops would drive us crazy.

Yeah, but the good outweighs the bad IMO. And hopefully ARSB could have rid him of that problem.

I’d add Keanu Benton. I wasn’t sure how his pass rush would translate to the NFL. Well I thought, for me anyway, that he showed there’s more to be unlocked in that area which kind of shoots him up my list. Looks to be one of the more balanced DT’s in this class.

Copied this from earlier poster I was hoping he never hurt his ranking an He didn’t. He likely showed why he is just built not just size but strenth for a NT or fast move on line to tech 3 an do the job very well.

I get feeling when i watch him he will be a beast on I hope are Dline

1 Like