Sheldon Rankins to the Bengals

If we land Reader my opinion of the off-season will drastically change.

1 Like

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

1 Like

Oh man, if Reader winds up signing elsewhere the meltdown around here will be epic and Iā€™m here for it either way Reader as a Lion or not.

4 Likes

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

Only way it isnā€™t happening is if the quad doesnā€™t check out. Just sounds to me like this was the linchpin of their offseason. Reader was their big fish. If fully healthy heā€™s probably our second best defensive player. Or damn close to it.

4 Likes

Not just that but heā€™ll make everybody so much better, the edges and LBs in particular. Not to mention that Alim can focus on being a 3T which is what he really is with the weight loss. Would be a huge get to get this huge man.

2 Likes

If Readerā€™s quad doesnā€™t check out then I feel pretty good about us getting Armstead as a backup plan.

Either way, it seems that Holmes is intent on upgrading the D-Line (they were in on Wilkins too apparently) which is music to my ears. Build them trenches.

1 Like

& a BroMart mentor.

2 Likes

The thing Iā€™m most excited about is the potential uptick in our short to intermediate pass defense as weā€™re allowed to not be total kamikazes in the run game. But I agree there are several areas in which he can be a big help.

And he had 1 sack last year and what we really need is pass rush, so itā€™s like a foregone conclusionā€¦

His value isnā€™t in sacks, itā€™s taking up space eating double teams which frees up others to make plays not to mention creating pressure up the middle which is what QBs struggle most with. His value will lie with improvements in others.

For sure. Check out the dance off

I mean I understand the excitement, but Iā€™m not sure how this signing changes much. They basically play different positions.

The reason to be excited is the visit imo. If he makes it very good chance we sign him.

He is the guy that takes on double teams and allows the guys around him to rush without being doubled.

PFF ranked him #9 of all interior D line playersā€¦

2 Likes

Definitely donā€™t agree with Brad here. If Reader is truly bringing in the 15m ish that insiders expect him to then I just canā€™t imagine the Brown family led Bengals ponying damn near 30m per to two 30 plus nose tackles.

IMO theyā€™ll sign Tart and probably grab an Evan Anderson type in the draft. Not saying they canā€™t afford it. Theyā€™re just not going to go that route.

Sheldon Rankins is not a nose tackle, thatā€™s the point. Rankins is short and light. Heā€™s a true 3T in terms of how people speak of those guys. Here are some of the knocks on Rankins from before the draft:

• Undersized for full-Ā­time interior position by NFL standards
  • Flashes quite a bit on tape, but many of his victims lacked the strength that heā€™ll see from NFL guards
  • Scouts believe he could lose some quickness if he tries to bulk up to prepare for rigors of NFL interior play
  • Some teams are concerned about his lack of overall size which could hurt his stock

1 Like

Iā€™m well aware of who Sheldon Rankins is. I just disagree with Brad about this not being a sign relative to Reader. They have BJ Hill at DT as well. Theyā€™re not going to allocate 38m per year to three DTs (IMO). Perhaps I am wrong but I just donā€™t see DJ as a Bengal in 2024.

1 Like

Timing is also a bit off to me being so close to his visit to detroit. I dont believe they are entirely unrelated

1 Like

Weā€™ll see. I think theyā€™re now committed to Reader taking his visit. If he leaves without a deal bc of the quad then I could see Cincy getting back in it.

But I would imagine betting odds are tilting towards the Lions here.