Should Dan Campbell be fired?

Actually they aren’t tied together. I’ll admit that’s how it’s been traditionally done. Because usually, the GM gets to select the coach. But in this case, like others recently, they are separate hires and will be judged separately.

1 Like

I really don’t know how to make my point any clearer, but it still doesn’t seem to be getting through. I’ll take the L on this one and move on.

You can’t use common sense to convince people that already have decided something is true. Most lions fans have “chronic loser sickness”. They have been in meshed in the cycle of losing for so long they are experts at it. 1. Fire current coach and GM 2. Immediately engage in ludicrous levels of optimistic speculation as to who the new super star coach will be that will take us to the promised land (I heard that the ghost of Vince Lombardi was going to be our next coach. Bill Walsh was going to be the new OC and Buddy Ryan was the new DC). 3. Experience damped optimism when a previously unheard of or unheralded prospect takes the job but still envision playoffs, division titles, and Super Bowls as immediately in our reach (meanwhile completely disregard the fact that the previous administration ran off ALL talented players and left us in serious cap hell those are just excuses and we must win regardless of the fact we are trotting out players that would not be on anyone else’s practice squad) 4. Break out torches and pitchforks when the team begins to (like actual knowledgeable people projected) lose games and the JV squad can’t keep up with actual NFL level talent. 5. Scream that we should be signing impact players in FA and bitch that some of our draft picks seem like duds (of course ignoring that due to 70 years of sucking no impact FAs of any kind want to come here unless it is for an absolutely insane contract and also ignoring that draft picks sometimes flame out). 6. Once (inevitably) the old coach and GM are fired (less than 3 years into tenure not sure what ANY coach can accomplish with this team in 2 1/2 years but that is our average length of time a HC keeps their job here going back to 1980. With such a dazzling record of stability how can any coach not succeed???) Immediately begin this cycle over but somehow convince ourselves that THIS time it will work! (What is the definition of insanity again)? Just curious.

4 Likes

A lot of truth in that!! And even when we do spend money in free agency it’s usually a massive disaster. Trey Flower and Jamie Collins style!

More Ovaltine please!

I think your point is clear and valid.

You can’t judge the coach without judging the roster, it’s pretty simple. At this point it’s too soon to separate them.

I think it’s fair to say Dans success is tied to Holmes.

Holmes success is tied to the coaching staff but I also feel it’s easier to judge a GM early on than it is the coach.

Personally I think both are doing a very suspect job but I’m willing to give them one more year but I honestly don’t think Dan is the answer. He just makes too many coaching mistakes and I don’t feel he’s learning from them.

Holmes roster building is also extremely suspect. When we’re starting players that didn’t make other teams 53 man roster it’s probably a bad sign that his roster building is questionable.

My biggest issue with Holmes is this board points to our biggest glaring hole every offseason and he barely does anything to fix that problem. WR last year, DT this year… etc my second biggest issue is his love for injured players. We saw Mayhew make this mistake over and over again. It’s a rookie GM mistake that experienced GM’s rarely make. He does it repeatedly.

I need to see some drastic improvements in this staff but I’m losing faith in them rather quickly. It’s too bad because I like the staff but I just don’t think thier the answer at this point. Hopefully they can change that feeling.

Please don’t tell me that I need to give it more time. Most teams turn over 30% of their roster each season. By year two the average nfl team turns over 60% of their roster by year three 90% of the roster they started with just 3 years earlier. Holmes has plenty of ammunition to get this roster turned around. He has extra draft picks and plenty of flexible cap space.

One more season for me and I expect to see a much more aggressive approach. If he takes another passive approach I will be leading the fire Holmes fan club.

2 Likes

Campbell is a moron. Not taking the FG early could have cost us the game. I still think he should be fired but know he won’t be until mid next year at the earliest

1 Like

Um…Most Lions fans would be nominating our coach for Sainthood if they had a record like this…

“Reich, who was in his fifth season with the Colts, compiled a 40-33-1 record in the regular season and 1-2 in the playoffs.“

1 Like

Instead of punting and pinning the packers inside the 10, or even 5 with your pro bowl punter, you go for it and give aaron rodgers a short field that needed a td to win the game.

that was a rookie hc first few games mistake. rookie hc in any football league lower than the nfl. especially with goff.

the fact he keeps doing this horseshit means he’s not learning. at all.

2 Likes

You forgot mortgaging the future and drafting the 1OA flavor of the month college quarterback. Because all successful QBs only come from the first two picks in the draft and they never fail. One player fixes it all.

1 Like

This was the first decision to go for it that he made that made absolutely no sense to me. The majority of the rest I understood even if I didn’t agree with it. Your defense was playing fantastic all day. Punt the ball and let them win it. If the defense was playing like it did against Miami or Seattle then you go for it 100% because you know your defense couldn’t stop them at midfield or inside the 5.

Gezz dude there is a difference between not being successful as you say, and being historically bad, you act like you haven’t seen much. Marnelli and Patricia were not just unsuccessful they were a total joke 2 of the worse coaches maybe to ever coach. Your already making excuses for if your wrong. And trying to diss guys that don’t fall for the same old Shit time and time again. Love the Fairy tails though keep them coming.

More bullshit, who ever said anything like this, you just hate the thought of drafting a QB your pulling strings out your ass. You like to exaggerate to make your self appear right.

Let me know when Bill Parcels is walking through the door. Talk about fairytales. You’re playing with a coin that has one head and 31 tails. So you pick tales and act like you’re the smartest guy in the room. I’ve found that guys who think they are the smartest in the room usually aren’t. I enjoy the games for the most part, win or lose (mostly lose). I can say I’m as excited as I’ve been in a long time with what Brad and DC have done. We will all know by the end of next season if their plan is working. So I guess that gives you 26 more games to bitch and moan.

1 Like

Brace yourself people, going for it from the opponent’s 43 is an NFL thing, not a Dan Campbell thing. Down and distance pretty well tips the call that way. And while the defense was opportunistic, let’s not forget how Rodgers had them in scoring position multiple times before blowing it himself.

There are games where both teams are really playing good defense and where yards are really hard to come by where you do try to pin them at the 1. It was an option in this game, but the play through the day didn’t tip the scale for Dan (or myself, for that matter).

Like Caldwell, Dan is labeled a bad game day manager based on little more than personal preference in when to go for it and when not.

Dan did say there are a couple games he cost them where he wishes he could go back and do things differently. But, you have to recognize that there’s going to be a bit of desperation in the game plan each week until they establish NFL starters on both sides of the ball.

1 Like

Whoever said anything about hating drafting a QB? I must have missed that statement because I am sure that as often as you accuse people of making shit up you would not do the same thing? Show me a QB worth drafting top 5 and I am happy to do so. Show me this QB class and it’s a hard pass. I might be interested in a couple in the 2nd round or later but nobody in the 1st and certainly nobody in the top 5. It also seems silly to draft a QB when we need so much help on defense. All I read about on hear is how putrid this defense is (which is true) but then everyone wants to get a QB with an early 1st rounder? Little inconsistent there. Please spare me the typical nonsensical “logic” that if we draft a QB early we can move on from Goff, save cap money and bring in instant FA talent. It sounds good but be honest bro, ain’t no “instant impact” FA coming here unless we offer and ridiculous contract. Lions fans like to indulge in fantasies (the next coaching regime will get us to the SB)(the next QB will get us to the SB)(we are going to sign instant impact stud FAs and they will take us to the SB). ALL of those are silly fantasies and ain’t happening until we actually do the work and build a team! You don’t build a team in FA, that is for getting the missing piece or 2. Look at the last few SB winners, they already had the team and added the QB as the final piece. Leave it to Lions fans to insist on doing it backwards.

1 Like

Didn’t he set a record for going for it the most in a game ?

Many say Bryce Young and if you haven’t read people not wanting to draft a QB then you haven’t been reading. If what you just said you don’t because you think there is none good enough. That’s just your opinion because there is a lot people out there think Young is that guy.

The rest is just some bullshit rant.

I never said any of this but there have been plenty to point that out. So yeah you are making things up.

Well you are the expert at bullshit rants. Most people on here that don’t want a QB in this draft have the same feelings I do. We don’t see one worth drafting given the defensive need. At the end of the day you have your opinion and I have mine. I can not “prove” I am right in my opinion anymore than you can in yours. I see more success league wide in the approach I favor (build the team then add the QB then the opposite approach).