Should Lions inquire about Trey Lance?

Stafford is the only QB under contract with the Rams, so there’s that. I never, ever, liked Trey in the first, period. SF is somewhat screwed with Brock hurt and IF he plays next season it is likely to be late. The NDSU QB picked before Trey has an all time wins record not just there, but for all of FCS football and he went in the 5th I believe, Easton Stick. IMO, uh…no.

If you could get him for a mid round pick, why the hell not? He’s barely been given a shot to see what he’s got.

2 Likes

Athletic QBs are also ideal backups. They are capable of winning games and keeping you afloat during the season.

3 Likes

Why the hell not if it’s cheap enough.
Here’s a hypothetical. Would you take Hooker in Round 2 or trade a 3rd or 4th (future 4th in this case) for Lance? I’d take the latter.
Of course another choice could be neither but that wouldn’t be any fun, would it?

2 Likes

Yep. I’d rather have Lance for a 3rd than Hooker for a 2nd.

4 Likes

Would he get more of a shot here than in SF?

Per Profootballrumors.com it is teams calling the 9ers not them offering him in trade.

Lance’s value has obviously cratered compared to where it was two Aprils ago, when the 49ers traded two future first-rounders to move up for the North Dakota State standout. He has made four starts in two seasons, not posing a serious threat to Jimmy Garoppolo as a rookie and suffering a fractured ankle last season. Lance underwent two surgeries but is expected to be ready by the time the 49ers begin on-field work next month. With teams viewing Purdy as San Francisco’s likely future starter, the subject of Lance’s availability is coming up.

Two seasons remain on Lance’s rookie contract, which can run through 2025 if the fifth-year option is exercised by May 2024. Lance’s trajectory does not make that a likely scenario in San Francisco, but if the 49ers receive a viable offer, Lance’s option decision could become another team’s responsibility soon. It certainly depends on what the 49ers consider a worthwhile proposal, and Rapoport adds (via Twitter) no trade is imminent.

John Lynch said last month the team still has Lance in its plans but Kyle Shanahan said securing the 49ers’ 2023 starting job will be more difficult for the former Division I-FCS star than it was in 2022.

Lance is a project. Does he fit our offense…?

Agreed.

The RPO with Deebo and McC?

Watch out for SF this year.

All these folks saying they never liked lance … I wonder what grade they had on Brock ?

W o r d

LOL, who cares? In what way are these 2 things alike? 32 teams passed on Brock for 261 picks.

Is Brock the future starter though?
Is Lance available?

IF he is, our staff would be most likely place to get the ceiling out of him.

1 Like

Lance has played 9 football games since he was 19 years old. 130 passes attempted in the last 3 years.

He has played 21 football games since High School, 2/3 of them against Jackalope Bunghole Agriculture and Fracking State.

I’m out.

Back To The Future Abandon Thread GIF

6 Likes

Sure, they can have the 5th we got from our own #3 pick Okudah.

1 Like

These posters seem to care to make it be known they have expert evaluations that let it be known Trey wasn’t or isn’t that good

So my question is how reliable is their scouting for me to take their proposals seriously ?

I don’t see why niners would trade Trey for only a small return

At which time lions acquire a huge question mark given up by his original "smart team "

With a slight chance he beats out Goff over next two seasons

Leaving lions with sunk trade cost and needing to give a new contract to one of these two QBs …

How does Trey get experience on lions ? Unless he’s really good ? And if he’s really good , why would niners move him while they don’t have a qb ?

More likely than Shanahan ?
How do they develop Trey behind Goff or does Goff get beat out ?

1 Like

goff helps mentor him.
if you have faith in yourself, you believe you can beat him out anyway & try to help your brothers…by helping the team

My #1 principle to operate by —> if Brad believes, I’m all in.

2 Likes

And nobody even wanted to talk about his last college game.

He was 15-30 for 149 yards. 2 TD’s and an 1 Int vs a team they should have crushed.

I was told you can’t look at that and I just laughed. Why, isn’t it true? Yes, but…

That’s a big but.

2 Likes

I don’t think it would make sense for a team to trade for Lance unless they planned on starting him. He’ll be a cheap starter for 2 years but an expensive back up.

I think a team looking for a starter (Houston?) could get him for #33. They could get the best defender at #2 and the best WR at #12 and then their starting QB at #33 with trade for Lance.