Should Lions inquire about Trey Lance?

(Slowly steps away)

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

That said I think Lance is getting a worse rap than he should.

He sat a year behind Garropolo. Played that weird game in the monsoon against the Bears, and then got hurt.

I’m not saying he’s good because he hasn’t looked good when he’s played, but I think it’s definitely too early for the 49ers to write him off. Especially given what they paid for him.

2 Likes

I mean if we can get him with a mid to late round pick maybe…

3 Likes

“Hi 49ers, this is Brad Holmes. I’d like to inquire about Trey Lance. Most notably how much do you regret it and what lessons I can learn from your mistake’

16 Likes

Lions were reportedly very high on Lance that year. Would not shock me if we showed some interest, especially if we miss out on a QB early in the draft.

4 Likes

This.

They were high on him, and not much else has happened—other than an injury and virtually no opportunity—to demonstrate otherwise.

Not sure what is value would be; it’s a weird situation. Maybe a third?

4 Likes

Lance turns 23 in a couple weeks.
Corral turned 24 just recently.

Both have rumored to be on the outs because of Bryce & Brock.

My preference has always been to trade for Corral as I don’t think he’d cost much and I really feel like he could be a Jalen Hurts type starter in this league.

Trey Lance he has everything you’d ever want in having a young talented QB of the future prospect on the roster. Jordan Love on steroids if you ask me.

I really hope Minnesota doesn’t beat us to the punch with either of these guys. Especially Trey Lance who grew up in Minnesota and went to HS there.

7 Likes

I beat you to it.

1 Like

Oops can you merge my bad

Great minds …

3 Likes

Brad Holmes did like Lance when he came out. You never know…

3 Likes

Overall, my thoughts are:
—we need a backup QB
—because we don’t have one
—because Sudfeld doesn’t count
—we have a plethora of picks
—if we’re not spending one super early on a QB, and anyone after round two is a project at best, and we can acquire the former third overall pick (who we had a mad-crush on) without giving up much, why in the hell would we not do it? He’s got 2 years + option remaining on his rookie deal.

This makes too much sense.

8 Likes

Considering we are looking at the spot

yeah, i think inquiring is a good idea

Feel bad for the kid tbh, has had some shitty luck so far.

Hes talented as hell, and would make a solid backup to goff

It’s definitely worth finding out what the price would be, although I’d expect teams like the Commanders, Cardinals and Buccs would make more sense as he’d have a better chance to start with them.

Yeah he kinda needs to start tbh just to truly see how he is

He needs the reps, which he lost last year

Its hard to say if we pull the trigger on this or not, but Brad usually is willing to do it, as we have seen before.

No!

Shanahan may not mind trading Lance then getting DTR from UCLA in the 3rd or 4th round…

Would they really go all-in on Purdy after just 5 starts? I don’t think they would. Trading Lance tells me they don’t think much of Lance.

3 Likes

No more than a 5th round pick for another injured player.
He’s getting beat out by Mr. Irrelevant, for Pete’s sake.

2 Likes

Is that an expensive back up ? Is that just a little time before lions would have to decide to pay Trey $40-$50m or franchise tag him ?

It’s like getting the rookie QB on the expensive part of their contract when they’re expected to be playing

Personally not sure niners trade Trey since Brock last I heard is still out and may not play next season …

1 Like