Should the Detroit Lions move from their first-round pick?

It depends. If there’s a player there they really like, stay put.

If there are several players roughly equal, move down.

1 Like

Don’t see a move up this year, but predicting BH moves are foolhardy…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t move just to move

I know that goes against popular opinion

3 Likes

Howie Roseman does not agree with this message. He loves trading just to trade. LOL

2 Likes

Trade the pick

Brad made a joke at his end of season presser about sending a memo to the fans about trading out of the 1st round. He understands the expectations and the pressure to please the fans on day 1 but isn’t married to the pick if it benefits the team to trade out.

2 Likes

he should post here

2 Likes

you don’t trade first-round draft picks unless there is a special player at an ideal skill set and the money is right.

2 Likes

Trade the pick to get young stud de or cb.

1 Like

Not sure if they should move but I bet they do move up into the teens to grab someone they like.

1 Like

I have no idea. But Brad has made about 10 trades in 3 drafts so far. So the odds of him making deals are pretty good. Last year I think we made at least 5 trades.

3 Likes

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/tom-donohoe-is-latest-eagles-personnel-executive-departing

4 Likes

My pipedream is the Lions trading their first for Surtain. Though just their first round pick since this is my dream lol.

4 Likes

I can’t remember the exact number but did Brad not say there’s usually about 18 players he has a first round grade on? Obviously the number is different every year, he had only 14 last year, but I think he’ll do what he needs to do to get one of his first round guys. If the board falls nicely he’ll pick at 29, but if he needs to trade up to the low 20s to get one then I have no doubt that’s what he’ll do.

1 Like

I think eagles trade for him if denver wants to trade him.

Last year he said LaPorta and Branch were in their top 15 or something like that. Who were both 2nd round picks. Now he may be exaggerating a bit though.

I think odds are higher than 50/50 that they don’t even make a 1st round pick this year.

2 Likes

The fans at the draft wait 4 hours for the Lions pick and then Holmes trades out of the 1st round for more beans… sounds like a villain move to me

4 Likes

I can see this happening, but we don’t have much ammunition to move up. Low 20’s might be a bit rich, but maybe 25 or so wouldn’t be so bad.

There were other GMs and “draft experts” who said something similar. They said there are never 32 “1st round picks” in a draft. A typical number is around 18-20. Last year was unusual because teams had a lower number than usual. More like 14-16.

Judging by the draft footage, Brad and Dan thought so highly of LaPorta and Branch that they were talking about both of them during the 1st round. Not that they were the targets with pick 18. But trying to land 1 of them was part of their draft strategy. They even toss around the idea of trading up from 34 into the 1st round. But knowing that BOTH of them were still on the board at the end of the 1st round, they chose to hold their ground and see which one would be available at 34. They had no idea that BOTH of them would be obtainable. And the fact that Branch was the last man left in the green room, shows that it was a shock to alot of people he lasted that long.

From where we are at, moving down into the 2nd round doesn’t pay all that well. Many teams do it just to do it. But moving up doesn’t cost an arm and a leg either. We have an extra 3rd rounder from Minny. That pick alone can give us a chance to get into the teens if we want to.