SI 53 man Roster

This is what I’ve got right now. There are some really, really tough cuts to make here. There are some even more difficult moves to make once some of these guys get off the PUP/NFI. Those choices may be made easier by injuries that occur but the Lions definitely will be cutting some good players.

Edit - Updated 8/11/2022

Position NFI/PUP Count
QB
Jared Goff 2
Tim Boyle
RB
D’Andre Swift 5
Jamaal Williams
Craig Reynolds
Godwin Igwebuike
Jason Cabinda
WR
DJ Chark Jameson Williams 6
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Josh Reynolds
Quintez Cephus
Trinity Benson
Kalif Raymond
TE
TJ Hockenson 3
James Mitchell
Brock Wright
OT
Taylor Decker 3
Penei Sewell
Matt Nelson
C
Frank Ragnow 2
Evan Brown
OG
Jonah Jackson 4
Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Tommy Kraemer
Dan Skipper/OT
DE
Aiden Hutchinson Romeo Okwara 4
Austin Bryant Josh Paschal
James Houston
Charles Harris
DT
Michael Brockers 4
Alim McNeill
Levi Onwuzurike
Jashon Cornell
OLB
Julian Okwara 3
Josh Woods
Chris Board
ILB
Alex Anzalone 3
Derrick Barnes
Malcom Rodriguez
CB
Amani Oruwariye Jerry Jacobs 7
Jeff Okudah
Mike Hughes
Will Harris
AJ Parker
Chase Lucas
Mark Gilbert
S
Tracy Walker III 4
DeShon Elliott
Kerby Joseph
Ifeatu Melifonwu
K
Austin Seibert 1
P
Jack Fox 1
LS
Scott Daly 1
1 Like

For those who are thinking we will carry 3 QB’s. well. maybe yes and maybe no, DC…

"“Well, I think most of it comes down to what else is on our roster. That’s what it’s going to come down to. Is it – are you keeping a quarterback three versus a stud special teams player? Or, someone you know is going to play 30 snaps for you on defense, he’d be a critical role player, or what – I think that’s what it’s going to come down to honestly.”

1 Like

I think Justin Jackson is going to make the team. He’s been productive in his career with a 5 yard per carry average.

1 Like

I thought so too. I actually had him on my original list and just swapped him out for an additional OL.

That last RB spot will be tough. You might very well be right - I like Jackson, too. Roster is definitely a bit more crowded this year!

1 Like

I’m not too sure about John Cominsky making it. Overall, your 53 man roster looks pretty accurate to me. Now, we gotta avoid injuries before the regular seasons starts.

1 Like

I doubt Trinity makes it and I also believe J Jackson makes the team.

2 Likes

I think Jefferson makes it before Reynolds and Igwebuike.

The only thing Igwebuike has going for him is his return abilities. As a RB he’s definitely behind Jefferson. I think JJ is going to be our RB3. It wouldn’t shock me if we kept Igwe over Reynolds because of his return abilities.

I expect Jared Davis to make it as well. LBer is going to be the toughest one to figure out because I have a hard time not projecting Hamilton onto the roster too.

I’m not convinced we will carry 6 WR’s and 3 TE’s. That’s 9 receivers. That’s a lot. I suspect we will try to slide Benson on to the PS. Last year we carried 6 WR’s and only 2 TE’s. We could choose to Carry 5 WR’s and 2 TE’s but I think we carry 3 TE’s. Griffin will make it over Wright anyway.

7 CB’s are a lot as well. Most teams carry 6 and we carried 6 last year. With Ifeatu Melifonwu switching to S he could fill in as a CB too. So 7 seems heavy to me but you can never have enough CB’s.

Last year the lions carried 12 DL. Which is a heavy DL rotation. I think we will carry more than 8 DL. Maybe Buggs will also get the nod or a FA pick-up post cuts but my money right now is on John Cominsky.

I think Jermar Jefferson will be RB3 too. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Fingers crossed.

He’s got some real competition in Jackson and Reynolds. The preseason games don’t mean too much, but it does for that 3rd RB spot and other backup positions. Special teams will be an important factor for those backup spots.

2 Likes

The biggest mean streak in the world doesn’t mean anything if you’re not good enough to stay in front of the player you’re trying to block. Reports from camp have stenburg getting roasted by fringe defensive tackles in one on ones. That’s not good at this point. He’s failed when they tried him at center. So he doesn’t offer position versatility. I think he ends up on the practice squad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.