Since the trade Stafford and Goff

Um, no. Geoff needs everything to be perfect to be a good QB, so I have been told.

I believe the metric was throws with less than one yard separation from a defender

Rams have no business being in the playoffs. They were supposed to be all in a couple years ago. Stafford got his and etched himself in the HoF!

Lions should stomp them, too many weapons on our side. I like our pass rush over their crap OL all day!!! Still would love adding Suh though!

Ok. I would take Goff in most of those scenarios. As it gets to 1/2 or 1/3 of that distance Iā€™d probably change my mind.

Not by any meaningful measure. The ā€œno lookā€ is dazzling, but, itā€™s also dangerous as hell.
Goff was coming off a(nother) playoff appearance. Stafford a 3 win season.

ā€œWhen the target has less than 1 yard of separation, NFL quarterbacks are completing just 32.1% of those throws, with a gruesome 39.6 passer rating. With Goff, heā€™s hitting at a league-best 47.7% among qualifying passers with a stunning 90.5 passer ratingā€

3 Likes

Heā€™s definitely a surgeon when given protection.

Iā€™m curious of the Lions recievers getting open rate compared to the rest of the league. Seems like Goff is having to make tight throws at a fairly high rate. Just from watching the Rams it appears our recievers are ā€œwideā€ open at a bit higher rate.

I get what your saying but the consensus was Stafford being the better QB. We didnā€™t give up what we did for shits and giggles.

Iā€™d addā€¦McVay did Goff no favors there at the end. Which really hurt Goffs development and league wide perception.

Some of that is offensive design. We live inside of the hashes bc of Goffā€™s strengths and weaknesses. There are more bodies inside but theyā€™re probably less gifted at playing the ball. That probably aids this statistic as well.

When Goff had Woods they routinely connected on deeper out routes while Kupp worked inside. Goffs yards per pass were very high in 2017/2018, but there is no reason for us to ge there. We both know we disagree regarding the Lions strengths at reciever.

definitely a lot of that is by design. Goff often makes throws before the receiver has even broke his route

Part of why he and Jamo have taken so long to get in sync. Jamo gets sloppy in his route running

2 Likes

The same people that look at his current numbers and put QBā€™s with inferior numbers ahead of him.
The consensus was that he sucked.
Was that true?

1 Like

That Goff sucked? Well, yes. Thus the ā€œthrow inā€ commentary.

Obviously, Iā€™m a fan of Goff. So I never bought the narrative.

1 Like

The Lions have chosen to really prioritize the things that Jared does well. The result has been leaning into in breaking routes when targeting outside WRs. Some of that may be personnel related. I do think we lack a badass X and have been clear about that for quite a while. Despite that I think our main reason for targeting the center of the field with such frequency has to do with Goffā€™s strengths as well as that being the area in which our run game and the play-action off of it lost effects :man_shrugging:

Take a lookā€¦ go back 5-7 years.

One outlier- and really a testament to what Burrow could be if he could stay healthy.

Almost every year the SB participants have a top 10 OL (mostly top 3-6) and a top 15 Dā€¦. The losers also average better than a top 10 OL and a top 10-12 Dā€¦ One outlier was Burrow having #20 OL and #17 D

Even in 2018? Rams OL #6 and D #20 but Pats had #4 OL and #6 Defense.

• at some point people have to stop watching the games, and start looking al ā€œall the numbers.ā€

This is where many in here try and discredit myself or anyone else using ā€œscienceā€ in lieu of ā€œartā€

Top 6 defenses this year.

Baltimore
KC
SF
Buffalo
Dallas
Pitt- still in the dance with QB3???
(Cleveland 13 in points #1 in yards against)

OL
Eagles
Lions
Chiefs
Browns
Ravens
Cowboys
(49ers and Bills made top 12 fwiw)

Weirdā€¦. Itā€™s almost like the teams with top OLs and defenses are the best teams.

Dak (4th round)
Hurts (2nd rd)
Purdy (last pick in draft)
Flacco (off the couch at 38!)
Goff (trade)
Mahomes (top 10)
Lamar (end of 1st)
J Allen top 10

Even Packers are #10 D and #8 OLā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s because guys love to watch the no look passā€¦. Mostly because Detroit was so deprived of successā€¦ watching Matt do cool shit ā€œsometimesā€ was enough after the likes of Kitna, the piano man, and the corpse of Culpepper!!!

Goff- 12 career 4th quarter comebacks where his team needed 27 plus pointsā€¦117 games

Stafford- 22 career 4th quarter comebacks where his team scored 27 plusā€¦ 206 games

When the chips are on the table both guys are really good!

This forum remembers the comeback, the win, the two tough runs, and the bomb downfield to Diggsā€¦. Josh Allen GUTTED one outā€¦.

I saw 2 ints in the end zoneā€¦ and a fumble lost on the 15 yard lineā€¦. I also saw a Buffalo team the only needed 15 points to beat a reeling Miami teamā€¦ no Waddle, Chubb, Howard, or Mostert, and T Hill hurt-

2 Likes

Goff is low IQ??? uh ok.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a new one for the diss wheel

Make it so :grin: