Sione Vaki knows he'll 'earn his stripes' on special teams in Detroit

Lions fourth-round pick Sione Vaki offers up an unusual profile. He played safety at Utah but was also a running back, and NFL teams viewed his positional fit as a variable. That was never more clear than one set of passing game drills during Senior Bowl practices, when Vaki began the drill playing defense and switched to the offensive side halfway through the exercise.

In Detroit, Vaki will play running back over safety. The 5-foot-11, 210 pound Ute knew that before the draft.

“Yes, when I came in (on pre-draft visit), I met with the offensive coordinator (Ben Johnson) as well as with the running backs coach (Scottie Montgomery), so I assumed that it was for the offensive side of the ball,” Vaki said after being drafted by Detroit.

1 Like

I like him taking a few snaps in the slot. I think that will be his bread and butter. Get him the in space. He has a backyard football skill set that is fun to watch. He isnt like gibbs. But he is still hard to catch.

If anyone hasnt, watch his offensive film against USC and Cal. USC defensive coaches had to be wondering “who the ■■■■ is that guy?!?!”

1 Like

Vaki can definitely catch the ball:

Vaki attended Liberty High School in Brentwood, California. In Vaki’s high school career he played on both sides of the ball. On offense he rushed for 401 yards and seven touchdowns, while also bringing in 107 receptions for 2,203 yards and 32 touchdowns .

1 Like

I would like to see vaki at rb and in the slot/gadget plays etc… but i would also be interested in seeing hin take some reps in two back sets as FB. I know he is a bit small for it but i feel his defensive background and love for contact could be positive

While I agree with you to a point. I would only be happy to see this if Gibbs was not able to play. Seriously, who do you want catching that ball?

Vaki is one damn interesting player. I am super curious how he develops and where he ends up.

One thing I will agree, last season Craig Reynolds had a key TD run on a play that everyone assumed he was in there to block. So having players like Vaki does give teams the ability to surprise the other team. Not so much the play but the fact that you would use them at that moment in time. You see ARSB lined up in the backfield and you know he ain’t there to block…LOL…or maybe he is

1 Like

And to suprise our own team…Craig wasn’t supposed to be in that play lol

If you believe ARSB this is a FACT. I do not know if you heard his pod cast (I think it was on there) that he comments on when he was in motion and realized the RB had white shoes…and was like what is Craig doing in here for this play?

In the usc game, there is a play where he’s maybe twenty or so yards out and there are five or six usc defenders nearby. No blockers to be found. He makes an unexpected cut back to the outside and outran everyone to the corner. Had to rewind and do a double take.

1 Like

Yup saw that too. Don’t care what his 40 time is he has really good game speed. Wasn’t the only instance I saw him outrun defenders

1 Like

21.5 MPH in the USC game…. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

https://x.com/CamMellor/status/1717293243233133036

3 Likes

I was thinking this too. Nightmare to to prepare for our offense, & possibly a bit of help with Gibby’s part of the playbook should he miss time here and there.

Jon Ledyard

@LedyardNFLDraft

Follow

I think the craziest stat I saw all draft season was that new #Lions running back Sione Vaki had 42 career college carries… And forced TWENTY (20!) missed tackles on those carries, per PFF. That is crazy.