So, the next 3 weeks look fun

It’s a good thought if Stafford doesn’t prove Shorts correct.

Whatever Schwartz knew in 2016 didn’t help lead them to victory. They got down 21-7 in the first half and ended up losing 24-23, when Slay sealed the victory with a INT of rookie QB Wentz.

One of the big issues that day was that the undisciplined Eagles committed several personal foul penalties.

2nd & 12 at 50

(1:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) M.Stafford scrambles right end to PHI 36 for 14 yards (R.McLeod). PENALTY on PHI-R.McLeod, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at PHI 36.

3rd & 9 at PHI 18–Bailed the Lions out on this one–led to a TD:

(4:25 - 2nd) (Shotgun) M.Stafford sacked at PHI 26 for -8 yards (C.Barwin). PENALTY on PHI-F.Cox, Unnecessary Roughness, 9 yards, enforced at PHI 18 - No Play.

3rd & 4 at PHI 39–Led to game winning FG

(2:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Stafford pass short left to G.Tate to PHI 12 for 27 yards (R.McLeod) [B.Logan]. PENALTY on PHI-M.Jenkins, Unnecessary Roughness, 6 yards, enforced at PHI 12.

1 Like

The nice thing about Bevell is that Schwartz is not going to know what the Lions are going to do in 3rd and short. Run? Maybe. Pass? Maybe. Throw it long? Maybe. Naked bootleg? Maybe. Screen? Maybe. Fake one way and throw the other? Maybe.

We might do anything, cuz we already have in the 1st 2 games, no? Might even sneak it.

Then there’s 1st and 2nd downs, the Lions might hand it off to KeJo, or go play-action and throw it somewhere, long or short. We got good TEs this year, gotta worry about them. Amendola too. Under this OC, Schwartz isn’t going to know what to expect in any situation. Especially if he’s got a backup to a backup DT in there.

That was Wentz 5th start of his career and we barely made it out of that game with the W. The Ryan Mathews fumble is why we won that game, they had us dead to rights.

1 Like

The Lions are also better in 2019 (or at least equal) than they were in 2016 at virtually every position.

They can definitely be different, but I can’t say perfect strangers unless the people were being fake while dating/being married. You are going to know things about that person no matter what. And what you know can give what you see context, which can put it into a perspective noone else has. You have the backstory, so to speak.

That all being said I’m confident that if Schwartz is going to destroy Matt, its going to be because he’s a hell of a DC, not because he has some unique inside perspective of him. Matt has very few weaknesses, and the ones he has are all over the film where even the casual fan can pick them out.

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part, but Schwartz would know how to press his buttons more than anyone else having been at his side for 5 years.

Whether it’s enough, we’ll just see on Sunday.

I’d expect Schwartz to bring a lot of pressure and blitzes. That’s what got to Stafford when Schwartz was HC

So I hope Bevell uses some screens, keeps a TE or RB to pick up blitzes and makes sure there are hot reads for Stafford

Bevell and Schwartz matched up twice, in 2016 & 2017.

Seahawks won both, but both were in Seattle.

2016 Seahawks 26 Eagles 15
2017 Seahawks 24 Eagles 10

1 Like

2012 Lions (Gym) vs Seahawks (Bevell) in Detroit…Lions win 28-24
2010 Lions (Gym) vs Vikings (Bevell)…they beat us 24-10 in Minny and we beat them 20-13 in Detroit
2009 Lions (Gym) vs Vikings (Bevell)…they beat us 27-13 in Detroit and 27-10 in Minny
2008 Titans (Gym) vs Vikings (Bevell)…Titans win 30-17 in Tennessee