So you want to draft a QB?

It’s like you guys don’t watch, you keep saying it’s all because of his WRs and there not good forsure. But Goffs problem is this if there is a WR open 25 yrds down field and there’s also a WR open at the 5 yrd line. He will throw it to the 5 yrd guy almost everytime some say it’s cause he doesn’t read defenses well and some says he just lost his confidence. Campbell got on him in preseason for it and was one of the reasons McVay moved on. And is exactly what he’s done all year. He may not have forgot how to play he just doesn’t have the heart to do it.

This is hilarious. It’s true, but funny to watch from afar with no dog in the fight.

Jared Goff is an average QB on a really bad team. The fact that he has his team 0-10-1 says it all.

A QB won’t have success if there isn’t talent around him. Get the talent first, then find your QB. There might be 3 QBs in history to win a super bowl with an average roster. QB might be the most important position, but it’s almost irrelevant if the rest of the roster isnt good.

For the record, the only QB I like as of right now in this draft is corral. And I would only take him following a trade down or a with our 1B/2nd rd pick. I also would sit him all of 2022 if I did take him.

ok, I’m not starting another QB thread again/ soon. but we was Pro draft a QB not long ago and now?, " don’t draft a QB nobody’s worth it. " EVEN if Goff is a sad excuse for a back…noooo don’t replace him !..I am confused.
I understand you get a reasonably good team first , then get a stud QB, mindset. but we can also get a back “better” than Goff this draft AND also draft/sign KEY playmakers to refine a few areas…to. I don’t know how many total picks we have…but QB is one and we have free agents still and the waiv-wire, and that. I also get it can be Goff “looks” horrible bc we have nothing and no one to help him except the RB’s…defense is in question, WR is in question, I get it . Also I believe Pickett is 1 guy that can be better than Goff , small hands or no…he reached near 4,000 yards passing with tiny hands I guess , here in the NFL?? I expect around 2,800 a season. just depends on what this team has been built like IMO.

I hope he only plays 12 games for 2800 yards to satisfactory. Maybe I just misinterpreted what was said. If so, I apologize.

The issue with small hands for a quarterback is hanging onto the ball when he gets hit. Now I don’t know if Pickett has a fumbling problem, just saying throwing the ball isn’t really a factor in the small
hands debate.

I’m skeptical of Stroud as a college QB…so I sure as hell don’t think much of him as a pro prospect.

1 Like

the point is , he’s not going to have the same numbers in the NFL, as he has in college. I estimated 2800 yards ‘here’ with Pickett. always got to factor in Detroit bc we know bad stuff happens here lol. if he can get 30 TD’s and keep the INTS and injuries down ? I’d take that.

It’s not that simple though. He’s been getting tagged, and despite the few times a guy is open down the field, it’s been rare. He plays against 7 man boxes, they stack the run and short crosses and screens. So Goff choosing to turn his attention to slow developing downfield routes as his primary read, would be asking for more sacks, hits, batted balls etc.

He didn’t forget how to play football. The team around him is weak, very weak. The Matt Nelson and E Brown combo, along with a 20 year old that was 18 months away from a field was probably a tough group to have confidence in.

Put G Wilson and Mike Williams from LA in this offense next year, and let Cephus and St Brown fight for the slot…. Then put the take the double coverage off Hock, and remove the extra spy teams have been keeping up at the line on Swift.

They already literally spying Swift and doubling our freaking TE, as our WRs can’t even beat the #2-3 CBS in man to man

Yes it makes a huge difference. Goff trying to go downfield with regularity with this group would be like Iverson trying to post up Lebron. After 4-5 blocks, he’d just start firing 3s…. Still not going to be effective, but better than zero chance.

Same. I’d take Young over him easily.

Until proven otherwise, I like Cameron Rising

The other data is also in. That’s that IF you want a QB, you can either trade and pay for an existing one like the Rams just did for Stafford, or you can draft one at the upper portion of the first round. That is what the data says. Yes there are anomolies. Yes there are plenty of upper first round busts. We have had quite a few ourselves. I get it. But you have to take a swing if you want to hit a homerun. You can’t keep waiting for the Peyton Manning at 1OA situation that very very very few teams ever find themselves in position to take advantage of. There were quite a few pundits saying Leaf’s physical traits were superior and he was a little immature.

Maybe we can move down a little. Maybe we can move up from the Rams pick and pay a little less for a Corral/Pickett/Willis. I just think passing on a guy like that for another year like the one we are having now, assuming we will be able to get better than those three FOR SURE, may not be the best plan.

This!!!

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Wilson, Big Ben, Mahomes, LJackson, Josh Allen, Dak, and that’s about the entire list of QBs over the past 20 years that win 60% plus of their games because of THEM- so we have…

2 top 10 picks
1 teens pick
2 late 20s picks
1 second rounder
1 third rounder
1 fourth rounder
1 sixth rounder.

Guys like Flacco and Eli won lots of games, and big games but rarely because of them aside from a hot 2-3 game streak.

It’s amazing if you look closely at it. Only Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde have more starts and a lesser winning percentage than Stafford.

Bottom line a franchise QB is damn near impossible to find, and if you find one- Rivers/Ryan etc there is no guarantee your team is any better off.

Bridgewater, Flacco, and Foles have better winning percentages than Baker, Darnold, Winston, Murray, and D Watson…

Look at the Jags, Jets, Bears, and 49ers…? Ironically the miners gave up their future for Lance, who may never come close to the .711 winning
Percentage of Garropolo- funny thing is Mac Jones weapons are inferior to Kittles, Samuel, and Ayuik and he’s killing it. Maybe Shannahan should have stayed put, kept his picks and take Mac Jones at #11 lol. That was the rumor at 3 anyway.

There are really 4-5 truly elite QBs in the league at any given time. Right now I’d say Murray, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen- are them. Dak is close and Herbert and Burrow could be on the way. Jackson does win games.

That is maybe 8 truly franchise QBs though, and it’s a stretch to give Herbert abs Burrow that title given neither has a career winning record at this point.

But Eli has as many rings as Peyton. Flacco and L Jackson have more rings and better winning percentage than Rivers and Herbert.

Getting a “franchise” QB like Stafford, Rivers, Ryan still barely gets you career .500 record

In 25 years!!! Only Peyton Manning was drafted to be a stud, had an elite career, won Rings, and is the reason for those rings.

The Pats lucked into Brady like the Seahawks lucked into Russ…

Rodgers and Mahomes were high upside guys drafted to already built teams with already solid Veteran QBs in place. Both were outside top 10 picks btw.

Bucs won 2 rings by bringing in Vets to teams with good D, like Johnson and of course Brady

Saints went all in via free agency for Brees.

Ravens have stayed legit competitive for 23
Years by having stacked defenses and either signing FA vets like Dilfer, or drafting high upside guys mid to late 1st like Flacco and Lamar.

——————————————————————-

There is literally ZERO PATTERN of drafting a QB high and having a decade long success run with 1-2 rings. None. Just Peyton Manning.

This is the perfect year to draft a QB. I have been disappointed with Goff this year as even with poor WR options Jared isn’t making them better.

If we draft a guy now let the battle begin. Let the rookie push Goff and hopefully sit for a year so there is a reasonable chance 2023 will be the start of a serious push and he’ll, maybe a rookie 1st rd. QB will push Goff to take more chances?

Regardless, getting a rookie QB with the Rams pick 1st rd pick seems smart on many levels for my $.

I want a blue chip defender with our 1st rd. pick and I want defense in rd 2 and 3.

This team gets Romeo Okwara back as well as Okudah. Lock down Tracy Walker and draft a top safety high rd 3.

With free agency…sign a #1 WR. If we follow that script the defense is better, we have competition and hope at QB, we have a #1 WR. My concern then shifts to linebacker and we may have to use rd 2 and then rd 3 to go LBer and then strong safety?

If we can land a #1 WR and then a viable starting strong safety in free agency, if we get a top pass rusher in the draft and we add a starting LBer in rd 2 …QB in rd 1 with the Rams pick makes too much sense.

I look to draft a QB with the Rams pick if there is a guy you love in 2022.

All four guys are as likely to bust as the other.
If you scout, do your homework, and believe in a guy, take him. Don’t pass cause maybe at this time next year a guy you like a little better “might” be available if all the cards fall right.
But if you question how good the kid is, see red flags and whatnot, look elsewhere.
I, personally, like Pickett. Especially at 24 or 26. I do not like Howell. I’d stay away until at least mid round 2.
And because qb is so damn important, I subscribe to always taking one every year. A sixth round practice squad qb, or a practice squad cb,we,g… etc… Tom Brady, Rich Gannon and Mark Brunell are rare, but the upside of hitting on one is to good to pass up.

Fair enough, and to each his own, but let me ask you this: would you take them even if you knew they were gonna turn out to be Paxton Lynch or Josh Freeman? Because there’s about a 90% chance of that happening outside the top 12 picks. Maybe even higher than that, I’m ballparking. Sure we might get lucky, but that’s all it would be, luck. And since when have we been lucky?

Oh I’m 100% behind this, if you evaluate a QB as a franchise guy, you have to take him. I’m just basing this on my own evaluations so far, cause I don’t really like any of them. That it’s matching up with the overall narrative about the class is mostly coincidence.

It’s funny, my favorite guy is your least favorite (Howell), at least for the value. But again he’s terribly flawed and the idea of relying on him as our QB of the future gives me the shakes. But I’d still take him over Corral, Willis, and Ridder. I love Pickett’s tape this year, but I’m worried not only about his outlier hand size, but if he’s just a 24-year-old dude beating up on 18-year-old kids. His struggles before this year give me major pause.

If Strong fell far enough, I might consider him. His lack of mobility means he’ll have to be one of the best and quickest processing QBs in the league, but that’s certainly possible. It’s what made Brees, Brady and Manning so great, and Mac Jones looks good too.

1 Like

We have a lot of picks coming up.

Time to spray and pray at the QB position.

Truth is any position is a crapshoot.

1 Like

Lols who’s even talking about down field that’s a whole nother story, I would be happy if on 3rd and 10 he threw it for 10 yrds. Both coaches have had issues with him going with the easiest throw rather then the proper read. There was nothing wrong with his WRs in LA and he got fired for his inability to read the defenses and make the proper throw. Plays are there and he choose to go with the easiest throw. So let’s keep st disagree, Jared’s problem is more then just lack of WRs, like Patricia problems was more then just not having his guys.

I think it’s a real stretch top not include Flacco a s franchise QB. 40K yards 227 passing TDs and ring is a successful 1st Rd qb regardless of draft position