Source: Tua still in protocol 1 month after entry

9 million compared to the amount he would earn if he played until he was 40 years old? Nobody knows how many years he might have played, or maybe still will, but McDaniels really cost this kid a lot of money and his health.
Getting hurt is one thing, but putting him back out there with a brain injury is something else.

Im not sure this isnt just Miami keeping him classified where he is and doing a lot more

damage control

due diligence so as to really get a handle on what happens to him in specific as opposed to a generic protocol?

Maybe I’m just…optimistic?

That would certainly be a best case. Hopefully, that’s what is happening.

@BrokenGlass284 here is what I will tell you. When a patient comes in who is maybe otherwise destitute, tells you that this was their one in a million shot, and that they need to chance it to provide for their children, wife, parents, or whomever it’s a pretty compelling story. Add in that they know the risks (if you have explained it correctly) and still want to do it. It’s a compelling argument.

“I understand the risks and I want to risk my personal livelihood to earn more than the next 3 generations of my family for those next 17 game days. Otherwise we remain in poverty”. That may not be Tua’s story but it is probably many players’.

In short I am sure between that story and the pressure put on by physicians by the nfl teams it wouldn’t be hard to find a doctor who would endorse it. It’s a tough sell when the person understands that brain damage is the likely result and chooses it anyway. Probably most nfl players know that going in.

2 Likes

Then they can document it as the player acting against medical advice. Clearing someone to play when you know it isn’t safe is malpractice. We have patients leave the hospital where I work AMA all the time, and as long as they are competent to make that decision we can’t stop them. We will however make it very clear that we did not agree with their decision and that the dangers of what they are doing were explained.

Who was liable for Javid Best?

2 Likes

javid best. he did clear everything over time after his horrific concussion but it was a time bomb. that’s why we ended up getting him or else he would’ve went a lot higher. I’m sure all the teams knew it was a risk we just rolled the dice and lost. so did he. but he got paid.

so that was the sacrifice he was willing to risk is getting another concussion after college.

Best was made an example of. He came into the league when concussion protocol was just starting and they used him as an example that the league was serious.

He may have been able to play again in todays standards. However I think he’s a great example on how really bad concussions need a longer time to heal properly and if a player isn’t given enough time that the next concussion happens very easily.

Tua should retire or take all the time he needs to properly heal.

So we’ll curse Miami for allegedly being careless with Tua’s health, but we gush about Sean Payton’s new deal when he was head coach for a team that literally paid out money to injure players. “Kill the head and the body will die,” was their mantra, caught on tape. Strange world we live in.

2 Likes

It’s a valid point, although I think the DC Gregg Williams was the ring leader of that. But he was still hired by several teams after bounty gate as well.

Tua clears protocol just announced

Surprise!

Tagovailoa has met with several medical professionals during the process, and they’re confident he’ll be 100% healthy for next season, added Rapoport.

He’s also got a new agent.

lol