St Brown just got paid 4yr 120mil

Post of the Day Amon Ra Scrooge St Brown

1 Like

Please don’t misconstrue about anything I’m saying about st. brown. dude is a ridiculous talent and team guy. I want him to retire a lion.

Is he 12% of the team tho? I mean, we have tom kennedy to be our scatback WR.

@DeadStroke can some of that money be moved over to this upcoming season?

No official comment from me until hearing from the guru @DeadStroke, but I’m thinking “yeah!”.
By the end of his career he might bleed as much Lions blue as Spielman, Barry, Lem, and Schmidt.

Happy Fun GIF by Shogun FX

Love ARSB but he squeezed every bit of money out of the Lions that he could. Don’t get me wrong, he deserves it and is well within his rights to maximize market value but it just illustrates that we’re getting no hometown discounts, guys just care about getting paid. Goff is getting over $50m in all likelihood, it what it is. Just keep drafting well is the moral of this story.

In any event, glad to have him locked up for the next 5 years.

The Signing Bonus

4 Likes

1/5th of the signing bonus will be this year. (or less, depending on Void years)

@smann7 is looking at this the right way, IMO. (“Right” because it’s the way I look at it, too, LOL.) It’s an “Extension” so we’re stilling paying buddy a 4th round pick’s salary this year. So, part of that 77 Mil guarantee will be the signing bonus issued today, which fills the gap in the 2024 low salary (given his position and role).

4 Likes

I can get a sun god jersey!!! Woooooo

2 Likes

That number looks a bit high right now, but in two years it’ll be a discount.

Which is a big deal…because it doesn’t even kick in until after this upcoming season.

5 Likes

The initial contract numbers are 99.9% of the time inflated until you hear structure etc. Could be one big salary number in year 4 that neither side wants to actually see… not expecting it to be cheap just saying

Outside of freak injury, there’s basically a 100% chance that The Sun God delivers. This is among the lowest-risk big contracts one could sign.

This seems obvious from outside of the organization, and you’ve got Brad and Dan signing off on it.

I refuse to listen to any criticism of this move.

9 Likes

Never doubt that. Sun God, Hutch and Sewell will be Lions for life.

2 Likes

Agreed.
When it all shakes out, he’ll average 24+ per year (beginning this year).

1 Like

Piss Off Lord Sugar GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

3 Likes

Just one more thought to add…

IF this were any other team, I’d expect the contract to really be closer to 20 mil per year for 2024 through the 2027 season with an inflated 4th (2028) year of the extension, signaling the player will become a future “cap casualty” like Suh signed in Miami. Since this is Detroit and St Brown is no fool, I’m leaning much closer to the 24.6 average for 2024 through 2027.

I know most fans wanted a discount for St (25-27mil average) but again Holmes and the franchise puts their money where their mouth is and awards the model franchise player with a franchise type of contract.

2 Likes

So its a $24.7M average over the next 5 years. (Estimated)

Thats a 8.5% cap hit. Over the next 5 years. Thats not horrible. And goff will be a roughly 14% cap hit.

So thats 22.5% of the cap for those 2. Thats still 77.5% of the cap available

2 Likes

Sewell & St Brown & Hutch are the franchise cornerstones

8 Likes

Rap sheet on pat mcfee just said that the guaranteed money is only on the first 3 years. Meaning it will be very easy to restructure later on

3 Likes