St. Browns Upside?

if St Brown gets open deep, I think he can make any grab.

1 Like

I’m excited to see Chark, St. Brown, JRey, Kalif, Cephus, and Benson.
I think Cephus will see the field early and often.
I expect it will be an extended preseason for Benson.

2 Likes

Ball snapped at 42 yard line….

Sun God jumps up for the underthrown pass…
45 yards downfield…

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

5 Likes

Did he do this for the Lions? Was that his role?

Until he does it at this level, he is a short/intermediate receiver. What he did in college is now irrelevant. Every NFL WR dominates in college or they wouldn’t get to the league.

We now have 3 guys that can fly in Chark, Jamo and Kalif. St. Brown is going to make his living in the slot, underneath and over the middle. Hock and St. Brown should both have a lot more room to operate.

I’m not saying he can’t run the odd deep route too, but just don’t see that being his role.

Loved this play design last year, he’s running a drag route and then turns it upfield and toasts the defenders. We should continue to get creative with the Sun God!

2 Likes

@Mr.Peabody already alluded to it… but the title of this thread is……

”St. Brown’s Upside?”

It isn’t…. “What did a rookie WR do on a team missing several injured WR/TEs… when he was the main focus of the opposing defense?”

Regardless… ARSB average 6.7 yards before catch (ybc) over his final 4 games in 2021, and he had Tim Freaking Boyle for 2 of those games. For the year… he was only at 5.4 ybc because of the slow start with the whole offense… but it shows that number can improve. His aDOT was 7.1 yards for the season, and 7.8 yards in the last 4 games.

Diggs was at 8.4 ybc in 2021… and aDOT of 11.1 yards.
In 2018… Diggs had 5.6 ybc… and aDOT of 8.6 yards.
H

Kupp had 7.2 ybc in 2021.
Kupp was only at 4.9 ybc in 2020 with Goff.

Jefferson was at 10.5 in 2021.
Jaylen Waddle… only at 5.5 ybc!
Tyreek Hill… was at 7.2 ybc
Davante Adams… 7.8 ybc.
Chase had 9.9 ybc.
Chris Godwin was 5.3 in 2021, but 8.6 in 2020.

Looking over the stats… seems like the QB and the surrounding offense have an impact on the WR route depth. Diggs is the same size and only a step faster than ARSB. He is effective downfield due to his excellent route running more than pure speed.

2 Likes

St Brown could end up being called “Swiss” as in army knife as he can do so many little things….

My main take on him is he has shown he will be there and be productive when called upon!

2 Likes

I think people are overlooking the role Josh Reynolds played in ARSBs year. For the first eleven games, Amon-Ra averaged a little over 5 catches. Starting in week 12 he averaged over 11 catches. Week 12 is when Amon-Ra 'took off".

Week 12 just so happens to be the first game that Josh Reynolds started. You have other worthy talent on the team, and ARSB actually flourished. I expect more of the same form him this year, I think he’ll easily be our most productive receiver with 8-10 catches per game.

1 Like

St. Brown kind of reminds me of a shorter, slower Calvin Johnson. Really close guys.

2 Likes

I think Josh clearly helped Goff. Hock was also out for most of the games St. Brown went wild. Hock missed the last 5 games due to injury, that was 7 targets a game no longer on the field. They really featured St. Brown after Hock went out, heck he was even playing some RB because Swift missed some of those games as well. I really look forward to seeing them altogether.

1 Like

So you are just ignoring that one of or both our top offensive players were out those games. Swift and Hock were the players teams “feared” the most on Detroit, if you can call it that. ARSB flourished when they did not play.

He’s a good player, but giving him a player comp to the leagues elite is a homer thing to do. Not everyone needs to be a HOFer to be a home run pick.

Also, 8-10 catches per game puts him at 136-170 for the season. Put him in the HOF now if that happens.

85 receptions, 900 yards, 5 TDs…that’s my prediction. Really solid security blanket type of receiver.

1 Like

That would be a great season combined with all our other weapons and St. Brown loves to block as well. Love the kid.

Let’s take a moment to once again remind you of what the premise of the thread is.

“Just curious to see what everyone thinks his upside could be?” - First Post

This isn’t a 1 to 1 current player comp thread. We are having an offseason conversation imagining Amon-Ra’s potential upside. In the “best case scenario,” what would St Brown look like?

1 Like

Future Hall of Famer, and 2 time Super Bowl champion Hines Ward of course.

3 Likes

Hines was so good they named the field after him!

That was a bad joke about Hines vs Heinz…that is made worse by it changing to Acrisure. Yeah…I know…but I tried. :rofl:

1 Like

Sun God Field!!! I can see it now.

2 Likes

If our number three receiver gets these numbers, Goff is in the Pro Bowl

1 Like

Also - main take is handsomeness. Dude shaves his head and teh sky is the limit.

His YPC goes up, next year…and so will his total yardage. He will get a comparable amount of targets, as long as there are no major injuries. So many ppl to target that the ball will get spread around. I think our players will be wildly unpredictable from one game to the next.

Double J-will, and keep safeties deep…underneath guys shred you. Stay in nickel/dime…Offensive line just manhandles your front and our RBs shred you.

We are a nightmare to game plan against when healthy.

1 Like

I Kinda remind ppl of Barry Sanders, only better looking, with no talent, and much lighter skin…and better hair…and less deep voice, less money…nevermind

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

Loved it

5 Likes

How am I off on the premise of this thread? Every comment I’ve made is on par with the topic.

Or is it not allowed to disagree with someone else’s opinion of his upside?

Some act as if he just had a Ja’Marr Chase type season. I don’t agree at all with the lofty expectations some have made about ARSB. That’s a common stance from home town fans. They always have to be the next elite player.

Maybe I’m just really bad at reading comprehension. That or staying on task is literally just “aman ra upside is that of stefon diggs”…and zero context or debate.