Stafford now has as many rings as Farve & ARog

Los Angeles Rams QB Matt Stafford will be in the HOF .

1 Like

Oh, I have to disagree. The Lions wont be a true contender in 2022/23.
Let Matt get his 2nd while weā€™re rebuilding.

1 Like

This had me wondering about Mattā€™s narrative, and how a revitalized Lions fit in.

This first championship seals him as a 1st ballot HoF, but the narrative really is, ā€œYep, he was great all along, heā€™s elite, etc.ā€ Like, after this, we can no longer debate the word ā€˜eliteā€™ after so much ink has been spilled on it.

He wins a second, and puts together an amazing year in 2022, and heā€™s in the rarified territory: Peyton Manning, Big Ben, etc. He becomes historically elite.

But the Lions might have something to say about it if some of the positivity here manifests in reality. Iā€™m not that optimistic. I think the Lions (must) go 8-9 or 7-10. But man, itā€™d be fascinating to see Detroit make the playoffs and get a Wild Card matchup against Matt.

What a story line that would be, and we could turn the narrative upside down, and the franchise revives itself by exorcising whatā€™s got to be the biggest demon.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to think heā€™s in but Iā€™m not so sure.

He has no MVP seasons. Wasnā€™t the MVP of the Super Bowl and has only made the probowl once.

I just donā€™t think heā€™s a lock. He has more to prove before he is.

1 Like

Meh, heā€™s in. That final drive is probably what sealed it.

However, if he never played another down, Iā€™d understand the debate. But if he plays another season or two, and puts up numbers (and thereā€™s no reason to think he wonā€™t), heā€™d be in the top 5 in every major QB category along with at least one Super Bowl win. You canā€™t not put him in.

3 Likes

I think being in LA will help him out alot. It is a media mecca and they already flipped the talking points about Stafford 3 minutes after he left Detroit. I do think the notion that he could make the HOF without winning something is far fetched. He needed a Super Bowl to separate himself from guys like Tony Romo.

1 Like

It is amazing how THE TRADEe made him so much better without even taking a snap for LA.

Congrats to Matt and his familyā€¦just hope Kelly doesnā€™t throw any shade our way for why it didnā€™t happen sooner.

Michael Brockers said the same thing happened when the team moved from St. Louis to LA.

He is in. The pro bowl is stupid. The list of eh qbā€™s with more Pro Bowls then Stafford is longā€¦lots of them donā€™t have Super Bowl rings or 3 gw drives in that super bowl run. The Super Bowl cemented it. He does have more to do bc he isnā€™t retiring. But a few more 5,000 yard and 40 plus td seasons and he will be a 1st ballot HOF. I wouldnā€™t be shocked if he is better next year and they run it back.

People said the same thing about Vinny Testeverde. He had two probowls (one more than Stafford) and he was 5th all time in passing yards when he retired. Like Matt he spent his entire career on a crappy team.

Lucky for Matt he got out and won a Superbowl. Without that win I think he doesnā€™t have a chance to get in. Now he at least has a chance but I am not convinced heā€™s a lock. But like you said heā€™s not done yet either.

Matt holds every QB record in Detroit.
Calvin Johnson is in the Hall because of Staffordā€™s arm.
Detroitā€™s W/L record is not on Stafford. Look at his personal stats.
He just won a Super Bowl in his first season on a good team.
How many other active QBs would you want orchestrating that last scoring drive?
I asked my daughter that question as he was taking the first snap of that drive.
There are few better in that situation.

2 Likes

I think heā€™ll get the votes.

I figure most, if not all voters, look at the Lions as a trainwreck.

It wonā€™t be he should have won more in Detroit.

Itā€™ll be he would have won more if he wasnā€™t.

Nah, she throws pretzels now.

1 Like

When youā€™ve lived through what Kelly has, throw stones.

2 Likes

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Yeah, well, I have the same brain tumor and had the same surgery.
One thing I can say about Kelly and I, we can prove we have a brain. We have pictures.
Not so sure about some folks around here.

6 Likes

According to Barnwell over at ESPN.com, Matt Stafford has more 4th quarter comeback wins than any other QB since he entered the league in 2009. Thatā€™s more than Brady, Rodgers, Brees or Rothlisberger (or anyone else someone wants to name). He built that resume with the LIONS. What he did against not only the Bengals, but the Bucs and the 49ers, as well, was lead the team to a 4th quarter winning drive in the playoffs because he is a real competitor. The difference yesterday was that he had a defense that could shut the door with 1:25 remaining, not a luxury he had in Detroit. He received no real attention in the national media because the Detroit team wasnā€™t worthy of such coverage. When Stafford did lead the team to a victory in the final minutes, it was worthy of a mere mention on ESPN or other outlet (more of how the other team lost rather than how the Lions won). Matt Stafford is simply the best QB the Lions have ever had.

If the Rams would have lost, I think Staffordā€™s road to the HOF would be difficult, but just winning one SB changes the narrative. When you add in the fact that he brought his team back three times in the playoffs to claim the crown, it starts to develop a strong story all its own. I personally hope Matt makes the HOF when heā€™s done. He certainly paid his dues playing 12 years for the Lions.

I actually believe that there is something wrong in Green Bay when both HOF worthy QBs (Favre and Rodgers) have both only won one SB apiece in their careers. Thatā€™s two SB wins over 30 years with a HOF worthy QB at the helm. Might explain why Rodgers has been so unhappy in Green Bay. Maybe the packers are satisfied with just making the playoffs every year and being a contender.

2 Likes

Just think of how many more 4th Quarter comebacks heā€™d have if he had a defense that could do that in Detroit.

We lost a lot of games where Matt took the lead with under 2 min left and our defense gave up the game winning drive and left little to no time on the clock for Matt to come back from. GB did this to us several times.

Sponge Bob Reaction GIF

YES!!!

2 Likes

Yup - definitely some truth to that.

Yes to all of this (out of likes, bro).
Also was good to see the perspective one of our other dudes put up about all the WRs that had their best seasons under Staffordā€™s arm
Tate
Jones
KG
CJ (though he was never w/someone else)
OBJ looks like heā€™ll be a better player w/Matt
Kupp

Coincidence? big name WRs will be kicking in the front door to play on Mattā€™s team.

1 Like