Stafford to the Jags for No.2 overall

Joe Flacco and Stafford are not in the same point in their career when Flacco got a 4th round pick. Stafford will command a higher pick if he wants to leave. Some fans in Detroit may look at him as a diminished talent who is worn down but it seems as though there are those in the NFL amongst his peers and coaching ranks who do not share the same belief.

And honestly, Joe Flacco is not the qb that stafford is.

2 Likes

Not close, IMO

2 Likes

Bad teams like redskins might give a 2 Nd round pick . But teams like saints might give only A 3 rd considering hill is their first choice

This sounds about right to me.

#2 overall? LOL.

1 Like

Matt Stafford:

Joe Flacco:

And he won a Super Bowl. I would say pretty even. 33 years old when traded.

2 Likes

I was already aware of their stats before I commented. There is a lot more there then just raw numbers. They are not even. Flacco was a shell of his formal self his last few years before the trade and he hasn’t been good since the trade. Stafford is still performing at a high level and will continue to do so if he is traded or if he is kept. Contenders were not considering trading for flacco when the ravens decided to move on from him…contenders are entertaining the conversation regarding Stafford. You are underselling Stafford by suggesting a what you are suggesting.

3 Likes

Flacco always had a solid defense and sometimes had a really good defense. He also usually had a better than average running game. Stafford never had a running game and usually had one of the worst defenses in the league.

Flacco was not a good QB when he was traded.

2 Likes

We’d be hard pressed to get anything more than a 3rd round pick for Stafford. That’s just the reality. Anyone that thinks we getting a first round pick is dreaming. KG could fetch us a 1st.

LOL

2 Likes

This is really out there.

2 Likes

Just wanted to point out Stafford’s completion percentage is wrong in that chart… if those are his career attempts and completions his percentage is 55%.

I was looking at that and thinking “how does flacco have more completions, less attempts, yet a lower percentage?”

Anyway, I would still argue Stafford is the better qb and has been on worse teams… but the numbers for sure are comparable

2 Likes

This is beyond delusional.
It doesn’t make sense why a team that has 1 win this season is going to trade a pick that assures them of either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields for a 33 year old QB. And why wouldn’t the Jags want to get one of those guys on a rookie contract and build a roster with the extra cap space?
Outside of Patrick Mahomes and possibly DeShaun Watson and Josh Allen, there isn’t a QB in the league that makes sense for this draft scenario.

3 Likes

You beat me to it, buddy. this almost looks like I wrote it (minus the grammar errors I would have maked).

2 Likes

Some of you are arguing that it doesn’t really matter what a QB does, because it all depends on every other player on the team. So why would a team make this trade if any QB can lead a team to the SB?

I would say that you approach it like any other business transaction. If you have an asset, you assign it a value, even if you don’t advertise it. If someone offers you above your internal appraised value, you simply say, “I’m not sure, I can certainly see why you made offer and how much you’ll benefit, but I don’t think I can take this offer to the owner and expect a favorable response. Is this the best you can do?”.

I can definitely see Jacksonville taking a swing at acquiring Stafford. With a lot of recent failures and a seeming never-ending rebuild, a new GM may well want to take the shortcut route in what’s expected to be a buyers market in free agency with lots of cap space. Acquiring Stafford would be huge in attracting free agents. Stafford with Chark, Cole, Conley and a boatload of cash to spend and draft picks galore.

If Jacksonville wants to compete in a tough, AFC South, they need help. They need to market more than hope for the future, because they’ve been selling that, and people are not buying it anymore. In one offseason they can put together a competitive team.

I don’t buy into the argument that it makes no sense for them to acquire Stafford. If one were to follow that line of thought, it would have made no sense for the Colts to get Rivers. They would have simply drafted a quarterback and started Brissett. A veteran quarterback can make a big difference on a young team. It all depends on what the architect wants.

The Colts didn’t trade the #2 pick in the draft to get Rivers. He was a free agent. You honestly believe the Colts would have traded the #2 pick for Rivers? If you say yes, you are not being honest with yourself. The Colts were 7-9, the Jags will finish with 1 victory.

No one is trading a shot at having a future All Pro QB on a rookie contract who might play at a high lever for 15 years for a 33 year old middle of the pack QB who could very likely be on his last legs. I know you guys have a huge mancrush on Stafford, but by every metric he is somewhere between 12 and 20 in the QB rankings. Rating 17, QBR 19, % 28, INTs 9th most, TD 13…
but yea…a team is going to trade the #2 pick for him.

You realize football is a team sport, right?

If you have a good defense and a good running game, you can win with guys like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco.

When you have a great QB like Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers . . . you can win despite deficiencies with the rest of the team.

When you have a crappy team that is typically near the bottom in both rushing and defense (like the Lions), you aren’t going to win despite have a good QB . . . no matter who it is.

3 Likes

Of course I do, but many of the arguments contradict themselves. It’s all about every other player on the team for some people on here. When the Lions lose, it is everyone but Stafford’s fault. When the Lions win, it all because of Stafford. When every other team wins it is all because of the entire roster, never because their QB played great.

And the Ravens won the SB that season in large part to Flacco’s play in the playoffs.

Here’s what I would be asking for from the Jags. A first and a fifth this year, a first next year, QB Gardner Minshew, and WR Collin Johnson.

If Jay Cutler was worth a similar haul, with his many deficiencies and a well known diabetic condition, I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to try and get that for Stafford.

I don’t want to take anything away from Flacco. He did what he did. To me, the comparisons are not legit. Dude always had a nasty run game that made the O less predictable, and big, nasty, athletic WRs that caught everything. I feel the OCs are equally as important. You have to run the plays they call. Run/run/pass - won’t work. We have had historically bad OCs. Historically bad OL. Historically bad D. We’re not talking “below average,” we’re talking really bad, perennial bottom-dwellers.

IMO, comparing Flacco’s situation to Matt’s is apples to ant hills. Literally not even the same thing.

I would love to see what Matt could do with a healthy situation around him, that’s all I’m truly saying.

I’m just a fan, and you should never bet based on any of my predictions. I am wrong a lot. With that said, I feel strongly about what I say here.