Steelers WR James Washington requests trade

Fortunately… the salary is a higher percentage of the formula… so I don’t think it is possible to drop to lower than a 4th. I think @DeadStroke had mentioned that it might drop to a 4th rounder if he misses 1/2 the season.

Why couldn’t you? You simply make the terms of the trade your 5th round comp pick OR your 6th round pick if you don’t get one. Right now, based on salary of what players are getting paid, we have a pretty good understanding of where we are likely to land. BUT, as has been pointed out, if that player only plays so many games it can affect what might happen. Teams make trades all the time with conditional picks.

Deadstroke posted this some time ago, that we are in line for a 3rd, 5th and 6th…

Ok, so a 4th then…

We’ll end up getting a third for Golladay. He’s out 2-3 weeks. They paid him a sh!t load. He’ll play.

2 Likes

I’d offer the Steeler a 6th that can become a fifth with reachable escalators. I’d think the Steelers would find our fifth (potentially) as a fairly competitive offer

Again, a conditional offer, no different than offer our 5th round comp.

But we don’t have that comp pick yet

It’s no different than making any other pick “conditional”. In fact, based on past criteria we have that pick until we don’t, meaning that you would have to have a situation where a player didn’t play. It’s a conditional 5th at best or a 6th at worst. BTW, that condition could also contain stipulations from us with re to Washington’s contribution or lack there of.

1 Like

I’ll take your word for it. I don’t know the minutia of what can and cannot be. I’d think it would be illogical for you to utilize a pick that you aren’t yet rewarded, but what do I know?

Think about it this way, we just traded for some future picks and we have no guarantee where the Ram’s will finish this season or next. So we have no guarantee where those picks will be. You actually have a better idea with a “comp” pick as the formula for awarding them has been fairly well established. If I offer a 5th round “comp” pick, one we will get for Marvin Jones, I actually have the slot for that pick right now. Refer back to the post that Deadstroke made that I reposted here. If I make an “either or” trade, worst case scenario is the 6th. The 5th is out of play if Jones is lost for the season. There is no certainty where those 1st round picks will be and yet we made the trade. Those comp picks have been awarded for all practical purposes, the contracts given to the players established where they fall. We get 3, the 3rd, 5th and 6th rounds. There was a time when you couldn’t trade those picks AND the formula for establishing them was mostly unknown, neither of those things are still true.

Does it really matter what we trade?

Our receiving corps is pretty bad right? Goff could very well be our answer at QB the next 4 years, as he’s 13M per year cheaper than any relevant QB will sign for the next couple years, he won’t be a bust, and he will allow us to use a top 10 pick on an Edge, WR1, or transcendent DT or LB talent instead of a 50/50 at QB.

I watched Washington make Mason Rudolph look like a stud at OSU. I watched him net .83 yards per target over the last 2 years in a crowded Pittsburgh receiving room.

Diontae has 236 targets to get to 1600 yards and 12 tds

Juju had 198 targets to get to 1393 yards and 12 Tds

Washington took just 136 targets to get to 1,127 yards and 8 tds.

Washington is averaging more yards per target, more yards to per catch, more tds per target and getting 33-48% less looks.

I’d be pissed too!

The combo of Washington and St Brown after the catch could be a version what SF has in Samuel and Ayuik. Stocky bullies after the catch with huge verticals and guys who play faster than their 4.5.

3 Likes

Not really. Since playing time is a factor as well, you can’t bank on them the way we can bank on LA having a 1st round pick.

A comp pick might fall a full round or more.

Perhaps a team could offer their comp pick on the condition they have it. If they don’t, then there’d have to be an alternate pick. If we offered our 3rd round comp pick, we theoretically would back it up with our 4th rounder … But we don’t have one of them this year.

Perhaps a later comp pick could be part of a deal. I don’t know, it just seems like that’s too iffy for typical NFL business.

And that’s why I suggested a 5th round comp or a 6th round pick.

1 Like

Has any team ever traded a comp pick before they got it?
I’m asking because it doesn’t seem like something teams do…or have ever done.

Not that I can remember.

So maybe it’s not really an option.

Why wouldn’t it be, If we trade next years 5th we, and whoever trades with us, has no idea where it will be. In my scenario we were trading either/or, a 5th comp or a 6th round pick.

I’m just saying, if no one has ever done it before, there’s probably a reason or rule we might not know about.

If no team has ever done it before how did we end up with a compensatory pick as part of the Stafford trade? He was traded on Jan. 31 and the comp picks weren’t announced until March 10 of 2021.

1 Like