Struggling

Hey brother, thanks for leaning on us and sharing your thoughts. Be strong, and remember all the good things about your Dad.

I’m sorry for your significant loss. You say you need to get it together, but my experience is that grief will have its way for a time and run its course over weeks, months, years as it wanes. You don’t need to be any particular way so soon after your loss. Hearts are unpredictable and don’t accept awful truths on any timetable. In the short term, reach out to people who know you or your dad. You may surprised by their compassion and willingness to listen, even if you don’t consider them friends right now. Take walks and exercise to take yourself out of your grief eddy momentarily at least. In the longer term, there are grief groups almost everywhere that many people find helpful.

2 Likes

Sorry you’re going through this. I just lost my mother in May 2019, and I just lost my dad November 1st. They weren’t very old and I was extremely close with them both. I am right there with you. it is a horrible feeling to lose someone so close to you, but talking to people and being around people does help you.

If you ever need to chat just PM me here.

3 Likes

sorry to hear this - my condolences.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss. As someone who has lost both parents I know what you are going through. My dad died 4 years ago (mom in 99), when I was 51. Even though I have a successful career it was strange knowing that I no longer had that security blanket of being able to go back to my dad‘s house if anything were ever to happen in me. I can say it does get better over time. I would also say to use his guidance as motivation to fulfill whatever dreams he had for you. Nothing would make him more proud than to see you succeed in whatever areas you guys talked about through the years.

One of my best memories with my dad involved golf. We never golfed really until about the last 10 years of his life. Not sure why but that’s just the way it worked out. I beat him every round we ever played… except for the very last one. He got sick after that and was never able to play again. I would not change losing that last game to him for anything. It’s one of my best memories with him. I have tears running down my face while I’m typing this. You are always going to miss him but the pain does get easier to manage over time. Good luck brother. You have friends here who want you to succeed so grieve and then fight like hell to make your dad proud!!

Sounds like he truly loved you… and you can keep that with you forever because it will never change.

You can also now know that there are others here who will never give up on you… because even though I don’t know you personally… openly expressing your grief and appreciation for him is a sign that you have what it takes to do good in this world.

Find happiness for yourself… and do something to make others happy… and your Pops will definitely be proud.

I’m sorry for your loss.
I lost my parents too, my mom last year after a severe and long illness in the middle of a covid crisis, where in the end I couldn’t be with her due to restrictions.
It’s not easy, but one positive thing about it all is that we bury our parents, not them us.
The worst is when parents bury their children, I sincerely hope that my children will bury me and that is my sincere wish.
Once again, sincere condolences from Croatia to the Lions fans.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you’ve lost your father.

I lost my dad almost ten years ago and I still think of him every day, but for me, the raw pain has changed to a kind of happiness were I think more of the good times we had together rather than the loss itself.

It did take a while to get to this point, but it will happen gradually.

Stay safe, and talk to your family about your feelings.

Thoughts and love from a UK Lion

1 Like

Study the Gospel of Mark!

1 Like

@JimLiohey, we haven’t heard back from you bud. Please say something, anything, we are here for you bud.

4 Likes

@JimLiohey

Sorry I missed your post.

Let me start by saying loss of a close loved one sucks and I know first hand what it’s like to be lost in the weeds. I myself have had to bury two of my children. I lost my only son on Christmas Day.

In recent months I’ve had to bury my closest sister and brother. Both to cancer. The two people I lean on the most in my times of need are now gone. Needless to say my support network took a huge hit.

No loss is the same so I can’t say I know what your going through but I can say I know what it’s like to go through the struggles.

I’ve buried both of my parents, 4 siblings and 2 children and none were an easy task. They are all hard.

The easiest way for me to cope was to look into the eyes of those I love but I found it important to talk about those I’ve lost. It does help.

So if you need a friend to talk to. Someone who knows the struggles then your welcome to reach out to me anytime. PM me if your interested and I’ll give you my number.

Good luck my friend.

7 Likes