Sunday Night Football: Packers lose Aaron Rodgers, another game as Eagles

Aaron Rodgers hurt again.

Eagles rush for 363 yards

If only we could get the OL healthy by game 17

3 Likes

They were eliminated from the top seed as well!

6 teams in the NFC are now officially eliminated from the #1 seed!

And we are not part of that!

2 Likes

Jordan Love played better than I would have expected coming off the bench. We’ll have to see what he looks like after defenses have spent a week preparing for him versus Dickwad Double-check though.

5 Likes

Hoo boy… let’s extrapolate, because it is fun in this particular case.

If Rodgers is done for the season (certainly not guaranteed, but possible), what does the Packers offseason look like? Do they stick with Rodgers and his eleventy-billion dollar cap hit? Or do they try and trade him and eat the ludicrous dead cap from that contract? Will anyone want to pay the necessary salary (and draft picks) for a dude who kind of mailed it in for this season, is older, was recently hurt, and is kind of a drama queen?

Several of these possibilities look rough for the Pack. I’m not really sad about it…

2 Likes

Here is a source that tries to break it down (writer is Jason Fitzgerald), since Rodgers contract has so many moving parts. The way this guy makes it sound, there isn’t much difference between trading Rodgers in 2023 or waiting until 2024. Typically if you wait there is less of a cap charge. But in this case if they wait a year there is another option that gets exercised so they are back at square one again.

I think what they do with Rodgers is completely up to how Love plays the rest of the season.

That is just nuts to rush for almost 400 yards in an nfl game in the passing era. The all time record is 423 yards in a game it goes back to 1950!

2 Likes

I think the Packers would still get a nice haul for him if they decide to part ways after the season. A healthy and motivated Rodgers could still take a contender over the top IMO, and Denver overpaying for Wilson set the point from where the Packers start negotiating. They could get something comparable to what the Seahawks got for Wilson since Rodgers hasn’t declined as visibly as Wilson. Give him an offseason to get healthy and the drive to win with a new team and it would not surprise me at all if he went back to being a top 5 QB.

Figuring out his contract and how much of it GB will have to eat should keep the accountants busy. Turning that albatross into something more palatable for both sides would be their Sistine Chapel.

That’s my biggest concern, really don’t want the Packers getting a bunch of magic beans. One major difference between Rodgers and Wilson is Wilson was 33 years old at the time of the trade, while Rodgers will be turning 39 this week, that’s going to impact the beans return.

The Seahawks thought they were getting a franchise QB for 4-5 years, it has clearly been a disaster so far. Any team trading for Rodgers knows it’s probably only for a year or 2, considering he will turn 40 during the 2023 season.

2 Likes

Is that right? I didn’t realize it was that special. You see the huge rushing yardage in college so often that I didn’t think it was that special. Plus you just had Fields breaking rushing records, so I have built up an immunity to being impressed.

3 Likes

Yep, the Eagles performance last night is the 15th most rushing yards in a game in the last 100 years.

Only 4 teams have ever hit 400 yards rushing in a game.

4 Likes

So Packers defense worse than Lions, and Jordan Love looked good, it was nice knowing y’all. See you on the other side.

3 Likes

In garbage time!!! haha don’t crown him yet.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking about brother!!! haha the Bears are who we thought they were and we let em off the hook!

2 Likes

The league really misses Dennis Green. He was awesome.

3 Likes

Perfect if drama queen gets upset that they play love and decides to retire.

1 Like

Great find and info, thanks!

As I read it:
-If he plays for GB in 2023, they will owe ~$31 million for cap charges, kicking the can further into 2024
-If he retires, they will owe ~$40 million on the cap, divided (probably) between 2023 and 2024
-If he is traded, they will owe ~$40 million on the cap, divided (probably) between 2023 and 2024

That is actually not as bad as I thought for them. The numbers above are just cap numbers for the Pack, not for whoever might trade for him.

2 Likes

Just another article on this issue. Their take is that they need to use the last 5 games as an audition for Love in order to figure out what to do at QB moving forward…

3 Likes

It’s a fair point, Love at least needs a chance. He will be entering year 4 next year and has barely played. They also have to make a decision on his 5th year team option, which they are unlikely to pick up unless he plays really well, but at least they need to see him start a few games you’d think!? They gotta decide on the 5th year option this offseason.

2 Likes

What that guy pointed out is that the only thing we shouldn’t expect is for Rodgers to be cut. The numbers for cutting Rodgers are DRASTICALLY different than the other options…due to the guarantees. Being extremely loose with the actual numbers it seems like keeping Rodgers and trading Rodgers are both $40M decisions. While cutting Rodgers is a $100M decision. Just to illustrate how strange the difference is and why cutting him will be off the table.

1 Like