T.J. Watt could net the Pittsburgh Steelers their QB of the future

TJ Watt could’ve been the Steelers’ version of Matt Stafford in terms of trade value.

I wanted the Lions to draft TJ Watt and was rather surprised when Jarrad Davis was the pick since most draft rankings had him in the 35-50 range, i.e. the upper half of Round 2.

2 Likes

A lot of people, on here at least, had Davis as the pick. I didn’t want him (I wanted Foster though, not Watt), but pretty sure Davis, Taco, Foster and Watt were the most popular picks around here.

Back then, I was still on the old board and had not yet made the transition here.

Hmmm… I think I might have been as well? I can remember who I liked in the draft but I can’t remember what day it is, so who knows, but wherever I was I know Davis was a popular pick.

There were a lot of folks mostly critical of the Davis pick. One of the arguments was against using a top pick on a WILL linebacker and that the WILL was of lower value. Like, it wasn’t even just the pick , it was the instant salary you’re paying him as a 1st rounder.

I defended the WILL position as having value, not so much Davis himself, just sort of responding to the freak-out.

I don’t remember anyone “liking” the draft pick except for a couple that like everything. My recollection is it wasn’t a popular pick.

Birkett got wind of who they liked and prepared us for it happening, so some guys were like gigging over having had a clue beforehand.

Happy National Football League GIF by Detroit Lions

The Will Harris of linebackers. Pure heart and effort just not very good at football.

It was his Florida teammate who was a much better linebacker.

Alex Anzalone Yes GIF by Detroit Lions

My general recollection is that Quinn justified the selection by stating that he was drafting players for Teryl Austin’s 4-3 defense and Watt wouldn’t have been a fit. After Davis busted and Watt unsurprisingly succeeded, Quinn later suggested that had Patricia been the HC with the 3-4 defense, Watt would have been the pick. Of course, as we all do from time to time, the product of total hindsight.

These smaller DEs are a problem.

That is why Hutch is such a good find. Having a legit DE who can hold
The point but with enough speed and bend to also turn the corner on pass rush downs is a tough find.

Usually they are more of a hybrid OLB. Which depending on your defensive set up can be an issue.

This is why Pitt has such a good defense. It is set up for these types. So no one wants them but Pitt LOL

When running this 4-2-5 defense it is hard to justify having a DE that struggles to hold the point.

He admitted at the end of a presser announcing Patricia’s hire “at least I’ll know how to scout Linebackers now”. LOL

Then he drafted Tavai in the second.