Targeting 2 players from picks 10-20

Yikes–those Garrett Wilson highlights are impressive. He looks so fluid getting open.

Could this guy have a Jamar Chase / Justin Jefferson impact in his first couple years?

No one puts Wilson in the top 5, but if he could have an impact like Jefferson, Justin Jefferson’s production definitely warrants a top 5 pick in this draft

Wilson is Chase with not as prototypical of a frame. I’d argue he gets better separation and is better after the catch.

He is going to be an absolute stud.

I wanted to tank in reverse so we would draft him at 1A.

I dont want to trade all the way up to 11 to take him, but I would gladly trade down and take him.

He would absolutely transform this offense into a top 15 unit overnight. He will be a top 15-10 WR in the NFL.

And for people that call me a homer…

A. Watch his tape
B. Go read what I’ve written about Olave.

This is going to be a very silly question and I’m just catching up on draft stuff… but is there a chance jermaine Johnson is our pick at #2 if we don’t trade down?

He’s nothing like Chase.

Wilson is closer to a Stefon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, Mecole Hardmin type of WR.

He’s a true possession receiver type.

There’s a lot to like about Wilson. He’s an exception route runner who gets solid separation. There’s not a lot of flaws in his game either but if I want to nit pick I can … I would say I want to see him be slightly more physical. I also think he can work on his hand usage. But these are red flags or big concerns and I think in the NFL that he will continue to develop here.

I like WR’s who are good route runners and can create separation. Guys like him are always productive. I believe he will be off the board by mid round one. The only way we would draft him is if we trade down from 2OA or trade up from 32. Which I think is unlikely.

He’s my favorite WR in the class and I’d love to have a player like him. But unfortunately I do not think we will get the opportunity to draft him.

Not a silly question.

I doubt we would pass on KT or Hutch. The only way I see is taking Johnson is if we trade down from 2OA.

I honestly think we will take Hutch. I think the Jags really need to invest in their OL.

2 Likes

Wilson is more talented at jump balls than I think some people give him credit for. He can go up and win the 50/50 ball and has a lot of natural talent at doing it.

I feel like a lot of people say he is a slot in the NFL because of the fact he did it in 2020 and thats he’s only 6’0". The guy will be a great outside receiver.

Hell I think Dotson is really good at 50/50’s too and he’s 5’11".

Chase definitely has a better frame and I’d say he’s more talented, but I think Wilson can play the same role.

Ok, so I guess my question is, do people see this jermaine Johnson dude as potentially having a better career than Hutchinson or Thibodeaux? Or developing into a better player in the long run?

And thank you for answering and not making me feel like the draft idiot I am!

I certainly don’t have anything to back this up other than to say I think safety is a bit different. Multiple outlets have said safety is one of the most important positions in AGs defense. I was just reading the Athletic article identifying the Lions biggest need as safety. And it was the position they see the lions being aggressive in upgrading. I think Holmes philosophy on safeties is hopefully flexible given his coaching staffs needs/requests. We’ll see how it plays out.

I just love the nasty MFz.
Love the way cup Stiff arms in fights for yardage.
Love the Way Golliday used to shove his arm into peoples face and shove a would be Tackler to the ground.
Love the way golden Tate was both sneaky and tough and shifty.
Love the Way Saint Brown gets down with blocking and fighting for yardage.

I want another tough guy, if there’s one available.

I’m always picking a guy energetically over stylistically. I’d rather have a bad ass that fights, then a pretty boy who is slightly more talented. If we can get someone who has both, that’s fantastic.

If you mean they can be an X WR or that they both can line up outside then sure (I guess) but Chase is the prototypical X and Wilson is more of a Z or slot type.

But these two guys are nothing alike. They’re strengths are different and if you want to get the most out of Wilson then you’ll play him to his strength and make him a Z receiver.

Don’t get me wrong. He can line up outside and make plays there and I suspect that he will take snaps there but I’d bet that wherever he lands that the majority of his snaps will be from the slot or the Z role.

I’ll start by saying that I like Johnson and if the Lions decide to trade down it’s because I think they can and still get Johnson.

Hutch is clearly the best edge prospect in the draft. When I watch him play I see Jared Allen and Hutch is better coming out than Allen ever was. I think Hutch has the highest floor and Is the safest Edge pick in the draft.

KT is the most athletic of the 3 Edge players. His upside is the highest but he’s also the most raw of the 3. He won in college mainly off his speed rush. He’s going to have to develop his pass rush arsenal and if he does then he could be the best Edge guy in the class.

Johnson in my opinion falls between the two in terms of NFL readiness. He has a higher floor than KT but a lower ceiling. He has the skills to be the best Edge guy in the class. What I like about Johnson is that he is aggressive with his hands and he can string together multiple pass rush moves. He’s more NFL ready than KT is but I’d still take KT over Johnson if no trade presents itself.

Here’s how I see it …. If Hutch is there at 2OA then it’s a no brained and you take him.

If Hutch is gone and you have no trade partner then I’d take KT. I think he’s good enough now to be an NFL starter and he’s just scratching the surface of his potential.

However if a good trade opportunity presents itself then I’d trade down and that’s where the S Hamilton, WR Wilson or Edge Johnson come. Into play.

I think this draft offers enough Edge prospects that the Lions can’t afford to dismiss a trade down option. They have to seriously consider one. I do think there will be some decent Edge prospects available in late round one. So if they get the right trade we could move down and take a S, WR, Or CB with our first pick and still add a pass rusher in the latter part of round one.

But as far as prospects go I think Hutch and KT are better prospects than Johnson. That doesn’t mean Johnson won’t have the better career.

1 Like

Williams has a higher upside IMO. He’s just a riskier bet to hit anywhere his ceiling. Wilson has a plenty high upside but also a high floor. I think both have a chance to be a primary weapon for their future team.

I’d really like for us to move down. Seems quite unlikely though.

1 Like

The Jags new brass watching Burrow get sacked in the SB +should+ tell them all they need to know about their draft path.

OT 1OA
OG 33OA
WR Rd 3

1 Like

I still want Dax hill if we’re going safety. Speed kills time n the nfl. If you have the chance to add a safety that has 4.3 speed you do it. It also gives you insurance since he can also play corner. You get depth at 2 positions in one player.

That’s the rub. If we want one of the guys that has potential to be “elite”, we’d have to move up. If we want a guy that is likely a “solid starter”, we stay put.

Lately in my “fun mocks” with trade ups/downs, my goal is to get Lloyd, Ojabo and Burks, turning #2 & #32 into 3 1st round picks.

Listening to the guys who are really plugged in with the league (Zierlein, Brugler, etc…), it seems the draft community has Lloyd, Dean and Karlaftis rated way too high. Once they start to release more of their mocks the rest of us will catch up, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Lloyd or Dean were available at 32. I also wouldn’t be shoked if we passed.

Dean at 32 would be amazing. Big fan of Lloyd’s as well but I’m the biggest Barnes honk around and I think Dean’s game compliments Barnes’ much better.

I don’t really have much interest in Dean or Karlaftis.

Lloyd, on the other hand, is what you need in today’s NFL Tall/fast LB’s. I don’t think there is a chance he makes it to 32.

Wilson reminds me of DeVonta Smith alot with a little more weight on his frame. I’d probably take him over anyone in this class. Love Drake London, but I think Wilson is the best in this class. Unless we trade down, I don’t think we are going to be in position to take him.

1 Like