TC Notes and Observations, 31 July

Comeback wins are nice, but not when you’re one of the reasons we had so many comeback attempts.

1 Like

I’ve always contended that asking Stafford to be someone else is stupid!
I can’t play like Jeff Beck, but, I’m a damn good guitar player when I play within myself. I can always do better, but, so can Jeff Beck.
We’re two completely different players with different styles.
Try asking Clapton to be Beck. And then there’s Jimmy Page, the most successful of the 3, but, is he the better player?

1 Like

Man, you guys have really short memories.
No QB is 100% accurate when he has .08 seconds to scan the field, read a defense, plant his feet, and then throw at a moving target while being grabbed from behind.
He has been phenomenal based on what he has been given to work with.

'http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915500/article/dak-prescott-matthew-stafford-among-top-10-tightwindow-qbs

2 Likes

There are also reads pre snap, which are arguably more important.

And don’t act like he’s getting grabbed from behind every snap. He has time to throw.

Dude had less time to throw than Tom Brady, who did what last year? Won the super bowl.

And you especially don’t need time to throw if you’re a dink dunker…

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-intended-yards

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards

Pretty much the lowest in “completed air yards”.

Now give me your spin that the poor guy just didn’t have time to throw down field…

1 Like

Which side are you on, again?
Nah! Nah! Nah!
You wrote it. You own it!:laughing:

Where is that stat?

I’m on the Lions side before I’m on Matt Stafford’s side.

I want him to be better, I’m just not willing to say he is until he actually is.

Same link as above, but column “TT”

Need to know how they measure that because I am calling bull shit.
Actually, I just read it. Just what I thought. That stat proves nothing.
That stat only calculates the time it actually took for the throw to transpire. Not how much time the QB has in the pocket to calculate and then perform a throw.
There are way to many variables missing to give that stat any weight or value.

“Time To Throw (TT)
Time to Throw measures the average amount of time elapsed from the time of snap to throw on every pass attempt for a passer (sacks excluded).”

But, you just said he has “less” time to throw than Tom Brady…
Well, maybe if Matt had time to throw he’d make it to a Super Bowl, too. X10 years! He’s gotta be hearing footsteps by now.
The best OL he’s ever had, with a decent run game came when Joe was trying to turn him into Drew Brees!

1 Like

TT - Time to Throw, does not necessarily translate into a measure of how much time the QB has to throw. There some offenses where the QB by design gets rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds whether he’s under pressure or not. So, if that’s his TT according to the stats, it does not mean that sometimes he couldn’t have held onto the ball longer. Some of the speedier and shiftier QBs like Wilson and Rodgers can buy time with their ability to escape the pocket, so their time to throw is not indicative of the pressure they face before they had to run.

One of the measures for QB pressure is just that: QB pressures. And hurries and sacks, do they count how many times a QB threw the ball away, or got flushed out of the pocket? Probably, they count damn near everything these days. A hurried QB is going to make more bad throws and mistakes cuz sometimes he doesn’t have the time to check down or somewhere to escape the pocket.
Maybe Brady is better and smarter than Stafford at getting rid of the ball. Of course, he’s also playing with one of the greatest football coaches f all time, in the same system for what, 20 years? People don’t make as many mistakes when they don’t have to change systems every 3 effing years.

If anybody wants to call all this excuses, fine have at it. But it also reality.

1 Like

Reasons are not excuses. You only need an excuse if you have no reason!

Because he made him take more snaps under center. They also cut way back on the long ball because they needed higher completion percentages and fewer picks. So more passes behind the LOS to backs. in 2015 over 25% of his yards were to backs behind the LOS.

Maybe?

Pressure can also say the QB was holding on to the ball too long.

System matters, of course. And since Stafford is every bit the dink dunker Brady is, I think it’s a fair comparison.

Why do you think a QB holds onto the ball too long? Probably because he doesn’t have an open receiver, no? But yeah, it’s Stafford’s fault, got it.

JBC, didn’t run pre-snap motion and shifts, rub routes and wheel routes to help confuse the opposition or get somebody open, but of course that’s Stafford’s fault too.

1 Like

Maybe Brady is better and smarter than Stafford at getting rid of the ball

Maybe?

Yeah, maybe. You left out the next line, which is that Brady has been running the same offense under the same HC for 20 effing years, you think maybe that Brady and everyone else in that offense knows precisely where to go and when to get there? As opposed to the Lions, who are working under what, the 4th OC since Stafford got here? You don’t think that makes a difference?

1 Like

Because we previously had no ground game and a porous offensive line. Why do you think Stafford is almost always near the top for getting sacked. Combine the getting sacked stat with the time to throw stat. Let me know what you come up with.

I get that and I don’t disagree with that at all. Is it my duty now to repeat everything that you say back and indicate whether I agree or disagree?

I think we’d still have Schwartz and Linehan if Stafford hadn’t choked away the 2013 season like he did.

Suppose, just for argument sake, that Stafford is the reason why he has had so many OCs. It’s hard to work with a QB that has accuracy issues and touch issues and probably decision making issues that management insists you make look good. The fact we’re still looking for a system he can play in after 10 years says what?

The fact Brady hasn’t had much system change says that he can actually play in the system they put him in. Brady is successful because he has the eye of the tiger and wills his team to win. Don’t act like it’s just been given to him. Dude wasn’t drafted with a red carpet under his feet. He was drafted in the 6th round and needed an injury to play. He doesn’t have a natural cannon for an arm, he worked at it.

How dare you dismiss his achievement in order to bolster your pro-Stafford propaganda.

We didn’t have a ground game because they built a team to pass.

Period.

The OL was made to pass block, not run block.

When you pass 75% of the time, your OL is going to look porous.

If the OL was so bad, explain 2011. Why so many points then but nothing close to that the whole rest of the time?