TC Notes and Observations, 31 July

What the blue blazes hell are you talking about ? In no way did I dismiss Brady’s achievements, that is total BS on your part. And I will say this, there’s no way on God’s green earth that Brady would have even one SB ring had he played his career in Detroit instead of NE with Belichick. Who is BTW a football genius, we haven’t had one of those, ever.

You are entitled to your anti-Stafford propaganda, say whatever you want. If you want to say Stafford choked away the 2013 season, that’s your opinion. Stupid though it is. If you want to question Stafford’s decision-making, knock yourself out. Even though you don’t really know shit about who was supposed to go where. If you want to claim that the Lions are still looking for a system he can play in after 10 years, go ahead. He’s had some good seasons here, but ever mind that. Yeah, all those penalties and mistakes, blown coverages, whiffed blocks and missed tackles, yeah they’re all his fault over the past 10 years. Probably the ones that have been happening for the past 60 years are his fault too, even if he wasn’t born yet. Go for it.

Sure, blame it all on Stafford. He has his faults and shortcomings, nobody denies that. But only a total fool would say that it’s his fault that Schwartz and Linehan aren’t still here. Go ahead, hate on him all you want, it’s a free country and an open forum here. I sure wish we had an Ignore button.

1 Like

Propaganda? Facts. And Inconsistent arguments that work for Stafford but not for anyone else. Like Caldwell. He gets blame for not getting Stafford over the top, yes? But does he get credit for Manning? Probably not, right? So on one hand, it’s easy to be a good coach when you have great players, but it’s not fair to Stafford he’s never had a great coach. How do you know that if Bellichick had him he wouldn’t just toss him out for not having the accuracy, touch, or decision making skills you need? He’d let him walk as soon as he demanded 15% of the cap.

You want to spin things, but then condemn me for spin. Really fair, guy.

Actually, they do. I’m saying he has issues with touch and accuracy. Significant issues. I’ve seen exit interview type comments from receivers he’s had. Seems he only knows one speed, “fastball”. Seems to me that if you’re going to have one of the highest paid throwers, you’d reasonably expect greatness in the game.

I’m willing to account for all circumstances and dissect plays (like that one in Dallas where the pre-snap SCREAMS to throw to CJ who is single covered instead of following the called play like a robot. A long developing play to Pettigrew, who had 15 targets all year…

Stafford obviously choked 2 of the last 4 games. He got outplayed by Foles in the snow game, too.

And you can go ahead and love on him all you want. But if you start to spank it too loudly, I’m going to call you out.

If you want to debate the point of Stafford getting Schwartz fired, then I’m happy to do it. Just calling me a “total fool” doesn’t exactly win the debate. Chump.

I believe I have identified your problem, you don’t seem to know the difference between propaganda and fact. There’s a saying that “you are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts” , but you don’t seem to know the difference. It appears that if you believe something to be true then that alone makes it a fact, or that if someone agrees with you then that is proof. Everything you just wrote is all opinion; perhaps shared by others you don’t know how many others relative to those who disagree. And even if the majority do agree with you, that still doesn’t make it a fact.

You can hate on Stafford all you want, but it’s all based on unproven opinions. Spin in other words. I’m done here.

And Stafford built the team.
Got it!

1 Like

Stafford didn’t build the team. Let’s not be ridiculous.

I’m hearing an assertion that Stafford was hindered due to no run game. I’m disagreeing with that. We can either have a discussion or you and your buddy Wiseasser can keep taking personal shots. I find the people that start with the insults are the ones who aren’t so secure with a premise they believe to be true gets challenged.

So you’re saying he got no benefit at all from not having a run game? None? I’m saying he got more of a benefit than a burden.

If you want to have a discussion, fine. But if you just want a flame war, tell me, and I’ll decide whether or not to respond.

I know exactly the difference.

Your tone took a very rude turn early so don’t lecture me.

A fact is a fact. An opinion is an opinion.

I’ll thank you to not put labels on things that I haven’t.

There are facts along with my interpretations of them.

When I say “I think” I am admitting it’s an opinion. So I really don’t understand where you get off asserting that I’m stating opinion as fact.

Chicken vs egg.

They built the team to pass because we couldn’t run the ball. Or, we resorted to so many short passes because we couldn’t run the ball no matter how hard Caldwell and JBC tried.
That’s why Stafford had those game saving second half’s.
Did you watch any of those games? How many times did we hear something like…“Jim Caldwell and the Lions are trying to establish a run game”.
Those types of comments were mainly stated by color announcers in the first half.

Do you think the current brain trust in Allen Park can’t see what was obvious? Why do you think we have been drafting O-Line and now tight ends the last 3 seasons?
Why did we bring in a new OC that’s known for establishing a strong run game and why did we hire a new O-Line coach?
It’s because the organization SUCKED at running the ball no matter how hard they tried. Stafford didn’t have any kind of ground game to rely on. Did you ever play any level of football? Do you know how easy this makes it for an NFL defense?

2017 -

2016 -

2015 -

Stafford has been hindered, and not by just one thing. Do you seriously think Brady would be great in a JBC scheme, with a porous line, and no run game?
Do you think Brady would be successful being taught to be Drew Brees?
Do you think Brady would have 5 rings in 4 systems in 10 years?
There are reasons, and there are excuses. You keep making excuses for why the reasons don’t count! Your false premise gets shot down, and the circular argument begins.
Basically, Stafford sucks because that’s your opinion and yours is the only rational that counts.

1 Like

Egg came first.

It hatched a one dimensional horrible looking chicken.

Why acquire small backs with good hands and yac skills if you don’t intend to use them that way?

Why stay put with Jeff Backus and Dom Raiola if you’re not going to use them for pass pro?

If your HC says “we have an arm, we’re going to use it”, was that just some kind of bluff or did it foreshadow pass all the time?

Two times we tried to put Stafford under center more. 2014 and 2018. How good were those years?

They barely gave lip service to the run game. I watch the games, not listen to the pundits. Years in a row of fewest rush attempts in the league says “they didn’t care about the run”.

Go ahead and blame the symptom for the disease. I don’t care.

I watch every game, so don’t go there. It’s rude.

Did you notice, also, that we had 2nd to last in attempts? Hard to get yards when you don’t attempt rushes…

Let me ask, does rushing from shotgun advantage or disadvantage the run game? Whatever your answer, please explain why you think so.

How is your opinion not the only rationale that counts?

We didn’t have a run game, why?

I think we didn’t because we didn’t run the ball. It’s hard to run when you’re in shotgun all the time. Do you know those stats?

The reason Brady didn’t get multiple systems is because he didn’t suck in the one he was in first.

I suggest you review Stafford’s 2012 and 2013 years and get back to me. He was good in neither year, even accounting for all of your excuses and then some.

Brady won the super bowl in year 2, 4, 5 of his career and he spent yr 1 on the bench.

Stafford was in the same system for his first 5 years. Then the offense sucked so bad in 2013, they changed coaches.

But of course, the sucky offense wasn’t Stafford’s fault in any way whatsoever. It was the coaches, the supporting cast, the OL, the RB, the #2 and #3 WR, the TEs…

Oh, yeah. What a great supporting cast. Raiola, (on your) Backus, who were the best on the line! Who was the next man up when Burleson went down for the season, Chris Durham. Yeah, he had a great career after he left Detroit, as did our RB’s and TE’s.
Yeah, you’re right, I had forgotten that he had such a great team to work with, not to mention healthy! Thanks for reminding me.
Martin Mayhew was a genius! That’s why he’s been in such high demand as a GM these last 4 years!
Back to my original point. If you had said, “Stafford had MORE time to throw than Brady”, that might come closer to making your case. Instead, you’re making mine! You do understand the meanings of “more” and “less”?
If a glass is 1/4 full of water, that is “less” than a full glass. If a glass is 3/4 full of water, that is more than 1/4. We’re not counting the air. Just the water.
Brady’s glass was 3/4 full.
Stafford’s glass was 1/4 full.
Brady had more water.
Stafford was disadvantaged.

2 Likes

I’d trade Stafford for a dominant run game and average QB any day

Seems this regime is the first in Staffords tenure getting serious about putting in a run game and moving away from a dump-off offense that Linehan and Cooter loved

Can’t say we haven’t given him the resources. We have invested more in Oline, TE and RB in FA and draft the last few years than possibly any team in modern history

I’d say this is the year that Stafford needs to prove he’s a contender of fraud but hell…I don’t even care about Stafford all that much. I just want the lions to win

1 Like

If Brady had Calvin Johnson, what do you think would happen? Dude could have you and me as 2nd and 3rd option and he’d still kill. Or consider Rodgers or Brees with CJ? It’s not a nice thought at all. Or are you so enamored with Stafford that you think he got the most out of CJ?

Martin Mayhew is the same guy who picked, and stuck with Stafford… 'member?