TCLion's Mock Fine`

Welcome to TCLion’s Mock Draft version Final, where I try to get in the heads of the leagues GM’s and try my hand at Mindreading 201. (Having failed 101 twice previously) Without further ado, here we go…

With the 29th pick in the NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions…wait, there’s been a trade? :flushed: Getting the details now…it’s the Falcons. The Lions have sent picks 29, 61, and two 2025 4th round selections to the Falcons in exchange for picks 43, 74, 79, and a 2025 2nd round pick.

It’s a deal that makes a lot of sense for both teams if you believe that the NFL is going to make an example out of the Falcons for tampering. I do. The Falcons can lessen the blow by burning a pick next year that might have been taken away and feathering their bed with a pair of mid round picks that will allow them to fill next year’s holes, plus gain a fifth year option, preserve a 2nd round selection, and get the Morris era off to a good start. The Lions drop 27 total spots between the 1st and 2nd picks traded, but gain back another top 100 selection they spent on Carlton Davis, 92 overall, and improve 13 spots on that to 79 plus 201 from the Bucs, essentially making the Davis acquisition for free(villain), and converting two fourth round picks next year into a far more valuable 2nd round pick that the Falcons stand to lose anyway.

43 Christian Haynes, IOL, UConn. I’ve liked Haynes from the first, and not much has changed my opinion that he is a plug and play plus starter from Day one.

I greatly struggled with this pick, and I must have changed it a dozen times. There’s a lot of good players that can easily make the grade at either 29 or 43 that would make great Lions, but there’s a subtle cold calculus of value, expiring contracts, positional talent similarities, etc. Haynes might be a compromise pick, but a happy one for me. Thinking about the promise this team holds, the age and health of our interior offensive line, and Colby Sorsdal, love ya big guy, but I’m not willing to pin the season on your making a big leap if one of our interior guys goes down for the year in preseason.

73 Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson. Alternatively, you could pencil in Michael Hall or DeWayne Carter here. I think all of them bring something to the table that the Lions will like, and can compete immediately for snaps behind McNeil. One of them will be here, and I really don’t think the Lions could go wrong with any of them.

74 Renardo Green, CB, Florida State Alternatively, you could look at Max Melton if available. I love what these guys bring to the table in coverage and competitiveness. One of them should be here. Again, I don’t think you could go wrong with either one for the price point.

79 Brenden Rice, WR, USC. The more I have watched of Rice’s tape, the more it’s grown on me. A prototype X receiver, Rice has fantastic hands that will make fans quickly forget Josh Reynolds. Call it a reach if you want, but this is my Vontae Mack no matter what pick. The Lions can use an X with great hands, don’t overthink it.

164 Sione Vaki, S, Utah. Vaki is a sound technician in every aspect. Nothing that’s going to blow you away, just a solid, dependable Safety that offers surprising versatility on offense and Special Teams.

201 Erik Watts, DE, UConn. Watts is a high motor, high effort player that can use some better techniques to improve his performance, but the tools are there to become a solid rotation player in the Paschal mode.

205 Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana. This is a Hank Fraley special. The raw clay, willingness, tools, and motor are there to be molded. Losing Matt Nelson gives Thomas a pathway to the roster if he can make the most of it.

249 Isaiah Wooden, WR, Utah State. This kid is lightning in a bottle and could immediately challenge for the renewed Kick Returner role under the new rules. He is electric.

There you have it. One eye popping trade, which is sure to be scrutinized and poo-pooed by many, but oh well, I think it’s a good deal and has a legitimate shot depending on who is there/not there at 29. This draft looks like a solid haul to me, and has the potential to go down as another great draft. What do you think? :thinking:

Special recognition to @stephenboyd57 , @Nate , @Thats2 , @LineBusy , @FreebirdPartDeux , @frm710 , @Bols , @BigNatty , @Weaselpuppy ,
@CuriousHusker , and so many others (I’m only allowed to list 10). All of you make the Den what it is, and thank you.

5 Likes

John Mulaney Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

@TCLion is back baby…

Happy Roman Reigns GIF by WWE

I have no clue what to expect…except…AWESOMENESS!!!

Love that you took into account the new KR role too.

2 Likes

Submit the pared down version of that with only 7 picks and their draft slots on the Official Mock Draft Contest, and you may win cash and prizes. Well, actually, there are no cash and prizes, but maybe you’ll win the esteem of all the members of the Den. Well, actually, the horse has been out of the barn for a long time, so maybe not that either. But self-satisfaction is attainable… :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

Lol. I won last year. I’m declining to enter this year so someone else can have a turn. :wink:

Anyone who cares can run my mock through the numbers and see how it pans out though. Hehehe…

2 Likes

I love Green but im not sold on Melton… he is fast and played 45% of his snaps in man… but he had a ridiculous 27% missed tackle rate. The Lions dont like corners who dont tackle…

If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

1 Like

This would be an amazing trade. I would add if we did this, the likelihood of us trading back up a few picks would be high.

1 Like

I think it has a legitimate shot depending on who is there at 29. Fontenot, the Falcons GM, Campbell and Glenn have shared time in New Orleans, so there is a connection there. I do believe that the Falcons are going to make a move in anticipation of punishment, they’d be foolish not to.

In addition, Cousins is Mr Right Now, they can’t afford to dither around slowly adding pieces. They need firepower right now if they are going to make the most of Cousins at his age, so I definitely anticipate that the Falcons should be looking to make a move similar to this, and of all the teams, the Lions are in the best position to make the move down and offer the Falcons some much needed mid-round currency for next year.

All of these reports about the NFL wanting to make an example, I think they do, in this instance I think where there’s smoke there’s fire. They dropped a six game suspension, initially, on Jameson Williams that most people didn’t even know was a violation offense initially. The Falcons took the Vikings franchise QB, and unlike other violations before, consumated the deal with a huge contract. The Dolphins lost their first round pick for just TALKING to Brady and he didn’t even sign with them, so yes, I think the NFL is going to drop a bag of hammers on the Falcons. The Falcons have to realize this, and they would be utterly foolish not to try and maximize what they can do right now.

1 Like