Texas A&M RB Devon Achane - OMG

Just go ahead and give him #44 right now (Jahvid Best for the people in the back). He’s not the same player but he does come with a higher level of explosiveness but its not just in a straight line. He can manuever around traffic as well. I knew the kid was fast and I have seen his highlights. What I didn’t expect was his actual game film to back up the highlights (I finally got around to it). Even his 3 yard runs are “hold your breath” moments. He’s a smaller guy but runs with an attitude and has some power.

6 Likes

Ran a 10.2 against the wind. Would equate to about a 10,04 100m. He’s even faster than Best and runs harder too. Less refined both as a runner and receiver though.

And Devon is ab absolute wunderkind of a KR. 9 yards deep? Take it out, Devon.

4 Likes

Can he become more than a swing and screen guy in the receiving game? If so, look out.

I have always believed the speed is real. But you need more than speed to make it as a RB in the NFL. I had my doubts before doing my film study. I didn’t expect the power. I didn’t expect the attitude. I didn’t expect the short steps, sifting thru traffic and short area explosiveness. Those are NFL traits alot of people don’t know to look for. How does the guy perform in a phone booth? This kid’s got it. Put a great run blocking offensive line in front of him cough cough and you’ve got a legit weapon on your hands.

4 Likes

And at lesst 9 games on turf every year. Really interested to see where he goes. He’s very likely to be a big story in Indy.

I still don’t think he’s all that creative or instinctive. But despite his size in a gap scheme he’s gonna hit it hard. He’s featless. I also think he’s more like 195 than 185.

Keaton Mithcell has unreal juice as well. But I think he’s probably 180 soaking wet.

1 Like

I tell my doctor the same thing when checked for a hernia…:grinning:

2 Likes

190 lb RB is a gadget player in the NFL. Not saying he can’t be a useful gadget player, but that will kill his draft vaule.

2 Likes

He’s definitely not going to be a workhorse. He can be a Kenneth Gainwell/Raheem Mostert type though IMO.

He’s definitely bound for lower usage but I think he can be a second round pick simply bc how much most modern offenses prize explosives from their backfield.

3 Likes

I really like Devon. He runs between the tackles better than you’d expect for a guy his size.

The combine will set his draft position but if he’s sub 190 then his ceiling is likely a gadget player slash returner.

Any team drafting him will have to limit his snaps or lose him to injuries.

1 Like

He’s a Cordarelle/Hester type of KR. He’s special at it.

2 Likes

Damn! Talk about explosive speed.
Hell, yes!

2 Likes

If Dave Meggette & Best had a baby…it’d be him

1 Like

How would you guys compare him to Gibby?

Holmes is gonna get us a good one boys

I like Achane but I think after he runs a 40 at the combine he will go a little higher than I’d want to take him. I think if we want him we will have to use one of our 2nd round picks to take him. Even though he may only get 7 or 8 touches a game each one is a chance he takes it to the house. I’m sure Ben would optimize his skill set. Having him and Jamo on the field at the same time would put some scare into a defense.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say “gadget” player… but more of a rotational player… which is really what Swift is in reality.

Here are 3 RBs under 200 pounds that did play full time roles and had productive careers.

3 Likes

He is so fun to watch. Darren sproles 2.0

2 Likes

Please… dear, sweet, tiny, baby, Jesus. I love you & I promise to be very, very good…for a very, very veeeery long time.
Let us have Sproles 2.0.

3 Likes

I think Achane is shiftier than Gibby and sifts thru traffic better and more decisively. Gibby to me has alot of speed and explosiveness, but I’d prefer him in a one cut downhill type scheme. He’s more than a 1 cut player but he seems to have issues getting himself into space where he can unleash his speed. That’s what the film suggests. The highlights are obviously different.

1 Like

I like Achane alot. I’d give him a slight edge over Bigsby, who has a similar style, but I think Achane is a little more twitchy. Robinson and Gibbs are still 1-2 I think, but Achane might be my number 3. The Syracuse back (Tucker) is up there, too, but slightly slower.

I’d like to see our draft experts to weigh in, but there might not be much space between Gibbs, Achane and Bigsby.

Little Darren had a thicker base IIRC and was small but physical in contact. I don’t see that as a comparison.

Achane looks to have that acceleration and change of direction, but despite that speed it sure looks like he got caught an awful lot. I also didn’t see a ton of open field tackle breaking. Of course that could be because of the speed and cutting lol.

The only research I did was from the video you posted, so my knowledge on him is certainly less.

I am fairly certain I am going to figure out a way to get excited about whomever BH drafts.