The 15 worst value picks in the 2024 NFL Draft, from Michael Penix Jr. to Luke McCaffrey

I think that, for the most part, Brad Holmes would disagree with that concept.

Love reading some schmo tell the 49ers, who are in the conference championship every year and starting a 7th-round QB taken last overall, that two of their picks were poor value.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s like that guy from Yahoo last year giving the Lions a F for our draft. lol

2 Likes

I read the article and I am not following what concept Brad wouldn’t agree with?

They asked Ennis Rakestraw about the toughest receivers he faced in college. Ennis played in the SEC, of course. He started with his “welcome to college football moment” in his first start facing Devonte Smith and Jaylen Waddle. He brought up George Pickens from the past.
For current year players he brought up Malik Nabors and Brian Johnson. Then he mentioned Ladd McConkey. THEN he named Ricky Pearsall. He said he was a polished route runner. Then he took the time to repeat it and said “REAL POLISHED” a second time.

The NFL has a WR graveyard of guys who were great athletes who didn’t understand the game or didn’t understand how important it is in the NFL to run perfect routes and be exactly where you are supposed to be exactly when you are supposed to be there. And listening to Rakeshaw, Ricky gets to the exact spot at the exact time in the exact way he was coached to get there. That’s powerful. That also speaks to film study and a “Cooper Kupp” type mentality. The kind of kid that might eat his breakfast in the QB room like Kupp. The 49ers make alot of bad decisions. But they knew what they saw in Pearsall and how it is going to play into the offense and help Brock Purdy.

3 Likes

After taking a RB at No. 12 overall and a LB at No. 18 overall, I think Brad rejects the concept that you draft positions (which have more value), over players you want.

They really need to get rid of the concept of “draft grades”

Who grades after first week of school? Wait till finals end at least.