The argument for and against drafting a QB round 1

Why not go with Goff this year? He has actually had success. Won a playoff game this very season.
As for drafting, there are “great QB’s” in the draft every year now it seems. The Lions can take one next year. Let’s see what we have. There are a LOT of new parts here. A rookie QB would just complicate things.

I hope Jeff pulls a 99-01 Kurt Warner time period!!

2 Likes

I have stated my thoughts on the situation but I will repeat it. The best possible outcome is for Goff to work out. Then we are not chasing our tails looking for another QB, and we would be able to use all of our draft capital to improve the team and not just find a QB. If we really want to see what Goff has, we need to build a team around him that he can win with. We would be doing the same thing with a new QB anyways, but would have less picks to accomplish it with. If we build a team for Goff, it means we have also built a team for another QB if we were to move on from Goff. Its a no brainer.

But if we use a high pick to hedge our bets against Goff, we have now used a pick that doesn’t help Goff win. So in trying to hedge your bet against Goff failing, you have also increased the chances that he will fail.

Just go with Goff for a few years and build a team around him. If he fails…no biggie…insert another QB into a ready made squad and take it from there.

8 Likes

I’m less convinced that outside of Lawrence any of the next 4 QBs are franchise players. Of the top 5, I believe 2 will be solid, but I can’t say who they will be. You can watch tape, evaluate, analyze all you want, but less than 50% of QBs drafted in the first round ever have a season where they throw for 4000 yds and 24 TDs. Additionally, only 50% see a second contract and fewer see a second contract with the team that drafted them. And for reference, 12 QBs threw for over 4000 yds last year, so that not an unreasonable stat.

If you believe a QB is an all pro, then by all means lobby, but understand the likelihood of selecting a QB that will be statistically better than Goff is below 50%.

1 Like

Like it or not, Goff is getting this year and next before the team even remotely thinks about moving on from him, which means 2023 at the earliest for a QB.

That means, the lions have 3 drafts and two more free agency periods to improve the rest of the team. In 2023 if Goff is playing well, we will have 3 options, extend him, trade him or cut him.

Drafting a QB this year robs the team of a potential building block for the 2023 season. There is no QB in the draft that is going to come in and start over Goff

2 Likes

I don’t really want to draft a QB this year. I think Goff has a lot to prove and this roster has a lot of holes. However, if this regime which includes Dorsey decides that there is a guy that they see as a league MVP type QB then there is no higher impact that a single draft pick can make. The ceiling is just too high.

3 Likes

That’s the rub. The premise here is that a franchise QB is available at our pick. The closer your roster gets to complete, the further you get from picking your next franchise QB. Atlanta is the team that really has to face that. Pick 4 is assured the 4th best QB… Is he a franchise QB or isn’t he? Do they pull they trigger or not?

In theory, we’re 1 team’s decision away from a potential franchise QB. How much further away will we be next year or the year after?

1 Like

There were issues between Goff and McVay. Heck, half the Rams staff is running away from that organization in unilateral positions with other teams. To me McVay comes off a selfish price that is a my way or the highway kind of guy.

Like has been mentioned, why draft the 4th or 5th guy and it would be between Lance and Fields IMO, neither of those guys are going to contribute next year. Goff is here until 2023. That is the draft I think they get a QB, either way

Its like San Fran just gave up a boatload to go get a QB. There is nothing more valuable than a franchise QB. I’m actually starting to want for Fields to be on the board at 7 and either someone offers us a boatload of draft picks including future 1sts or we draft him and use the next couple drafts to build around him. We may not be in position again to add such a valuable piece.

1 Like

This all comes down to how much they love the QB that falls to them, IMO. And also to how much they like Goff. We are talking about things in general, but the player matters most.

If they are jacked about the QB, they can’t pass IMO. Goff isn’t important enough to pass. You can dump him to a team, even for a low pick, and get out of most of that 30 million/year salary.

Exactly, I mean he falls at 7 and we two first rounders the next two years to build around him. Plus he already has an offensive line, which is usually a big thing with young QBs. It’d be insane to pass on a franchise guy at 7 because of Goff.

The other thing too is that while Goff is cheap now, his price goes up immensely next year. Any player we miss at 7 because we took a franchise QB can be made up for with the savings from Goff. Not to mention now we passed on a QB, Goff isn’t it, now we wasted a damn year, wait another year for the QB to develop, and might not ever get a shot at a franchise QB again.

The lions CAN NOT draft a qb in round one of this draft unless it is very late in rd 1 after multiple trade backs. The qb is the leader of the offense and a high draft of a qb when goff is new to the team is cutting him off at the knees. They could draft one next year if he fails this season. Drafting a qb early this draft will hurt the whole organization.

When they traded for goff they made this decision. Those who want a qb this year in rd 1 have already made the decision goff is not the answer. The lions can not make that decision yet.

1 Like

I don’t see it like that at all. Easy to say to Goff we stayed true to our board and your our QB and we don’t want you to let this rookie take the job from you. You let Goff play this year with a lot to prove and if you’re as good a coach as you think then we should be able to get some return from Goff next offseason.

Yes - I feel WAY below 50%

!00% to all of it

We may be able to trade out, or draft’n’trade. If we think it’s a franchise qb, other teams will too.
What if Holmes believes he has one already, even if Said pick @ #7 is better…howmuch better? What if we can trade out, get future firsts? Build the team, and be positioned to build the future better? Lots of questions. None of us know what they are thinking. This conversation will be interesting to have a year from now. Herbert’s gonna be the best QB from last year’s draft. Lots of people were totally jumping off a cliff because they wanted us to try for Tua. I don’t think he’ll be a good one either. Im not as impressed with some of the guys that the board like either…like Murray and Jackson. Not convinced they’ll have staying power. I have been wrong before. We shall see. QB feels like a giant crap soot to me.

1 Like

For:

1. QB is the most important position on the field.

2. Even if he sucks you could trade him later for a 2nd plus other picks (Darnold, Rosen), or even a 1st plus other picks if he flashes (Wentz).

3. Unless your QB is great-to-elite, you should always be trying to upgrade. Goff could be successful if the talent around him is excellent, but he is not great/elite. If our evaluation says one of these guys is, we should take him no questions asked.

4. It’s a good class to draft a QB.

Against:

1. Each prospect that will likely be available at our pick has a low floor to go along with his high ceiling.

2. It essentially ends Goff’s career with us before it gets started. He’d be playing to earn a contract with another team.

3. A rookie QB will have essentially zero impact in 2021…

4. …which would be a waste of a cheap rookie year QB contract.

1 Like

Two things I believe…

#1 - If a team has a chance to draft a QB they feel has a very good chance to be better than the current QB on the roster… they should always do it.

#2 - I don’t believe that the Lions can’t win with Goff.
On the other hand, I don’t view Goff as a guy that is likely to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. He is young enough to still improve, and has had success with the right players around him. Therefore… I think the Lions should always be evaluating QBs. If the right guy is available… and I do emphasize that it should be a truly special talent… they should consider it.

For me… I wouldn’t take Mac Jones at #7… but would consider Fields at #7. I might be wrong… but passing on a QB that becomes a true franchise QB with special athletic ability is what can set a franchise back.

I am not seeing “the rub.” If you want a QB in the future, go get him. We are talking about the 4th QB off the board and possibly the 5th.

3 Likes

What bothers me about this debate is looking at Goff now entering his 6th NFL season V. Stafford now entering his 13th NFL season.

If Goff going to be good here? The Rams didn;t want him (to Farmer;s point). BUT…would the Rams be interested in 01 Matt Stafford right now? OH HELL NO THEY WOULDN’T. Goff has a shot at a staff who love his skill set knowing his game needs work. Much like when Caldwell got to work with Stafford and maybe saved Matt’s career. Folks talk about hos good he is at reading defenses but he stunk in 2013 and his abilty to read a defense then was very, very much in question.

The point is the Rams gave up on Goff, traded away substantial picks for Stafford instead of going to work developing him like Caldwell did with Matt. Hell, Jim Caldwell was available for McVay to hire but instead of hiring a great QB coach and savig Goff they tossed hi to the scrao heap. McVay wold have done that to 2013/2014 Stafford too.

The Rams made a BIG mistake trading a young QB for an aging QB and they did us a favor.

I am not in favor if drafting a QB as I think we have a hell of a QB on our roster now who just needs work and confidence as well as a staff who believe in what he can do.

3 Likes

It’s not that hard to move up if all you need is a QB. KC had no problem and SF just did it. Teams do it almost every year. It’s not hard to do.

I am surprised by the number of fans who think this years 4th or 5th best QB is going to be better than the 2nd and 3rd best options in the next few years.

1 Like