The Athletic Mock 1.0

1 rd mock.

The 2016 and 2018 NFL drafts were considered superior to the 2017 draft for QBs at the time.

Mahomes and Watson were 2017.

Goff and Mayfield went #1 in 2016 and 2018.

The hit rate on late 1st round/early 2nd round QBs is abysmal. I’d wait til next year.

1 Like

Welcome to the bright side :wink:

1 Like

The third qb in 2016 didn’t go until pick 26, round 1. The next didn’t go until pick 51 OA. Hackenberg.

Mahomes went pick 10, Watson went pick 12.

Oh, the first two qbs from 2016, Goff 1Oa, Wentz 2OA.

2018, Mayfield 1OA, Darnold 3 OA, Josh Allen 7OA, Rosen 10OA. Then all the way to 32 OA before Jackson was selected.

Put Watson in either of those two other drafts, 2016he goes as third qbselected, I think 2018 as well.

I honestly don’t remember how Mahomes was viewed in his draft year.

Never said you can’t find qbs later. Just that this upcoming class isn’t viewed as highly as the last two. I’m not reaching just to get one.

I think this QB class is obviously missing a top tier guy. I will say though, this is the best class I can think of in a long time if you are looking for a quarterback in the late 1st/2nd and maybe even into the 3rd. IMO, Willis, Ridder, Strong, Pickett, and Howell all have negatives, but possess some serious upside. With the right coaching it would not surprise me if any one of those guys turns into a legit franchise QB. If also wouldn’t surprise me if the majority of them don’t do anything of significance in the NFL. I really have yet to dive in deep with this upcoming class, but I like the idea of grabbing a QB in the late first/second or maybe even the top of the 3rd.

Like the Cardinals did with Rosen and then Murray a year later, if you have to take multiple stabs at a QB it is worth it if you can hit on one. There is no position that can turn a franchise around quicker then QB, and if you don’t have one you will never go anywhere in todays NFL.

2 Likes

This!

This is exactly my point.
Everyone expected Goff and Wentz to go #1 and #2 in 2016 because they were viewed as top prospects.

2018 was considered a top QB class and being compared to 2004 or 1983.

2017… no QB was considered elite… or worthy of a top selecrion.

Mahomes was considered a “surprise” pick… at #10

We have an off-season approaching where Jimmy G, Rodgers, Russell Wilson and Deshawn Watson will all potentially be on new teams next year.

Big Ben surely retires.

Add in guys like Tua, Darnold, Mayfield, Bridgewater and Winston all likely to be either FAs or available via trade.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out as it will have an obvious impact on the draft and how many QBs go in the first round and where.

I still want to see Stafford win, but I’m not going to complain about getting better draft picks if things don’t work out with the Rams. Straight business son.

1 Like

Y E S

Agreed. :wink:

Hutch, Burks would be great start i could care less how they go from there. Your looking at 3 more picks 33,65,97 your going to get 3 more should be football players …in draft ya never know but with the day one picks these 3 added i am all in 5 solid possible players

1 Like

Hutchinson and Burks? Sounds like they copied my mock draft. Would be very happy with this.