If we had kept CD3 and Amik, we wouldn’t be in this position right now.
We let our great finds go and hoped we could replace them with draft picks and more bargain finds.
It didn’t work out
Pff rankings #4 and #8 CB overall
If we had kept CD3 and Amik, we wouldn’t be in this position right now.
We let our great finds go and hoped we could replace them with draft picks and more bargain finds.
It didn’t work out
Pff rankings #4 and #8 CB overall
I heard a caller on 97.1 today make a point that Brad doesn’t retain FA signings like he does his own picks. Anzalone was brought up as one that they signed again. Couldn’t think of any other ones.
I thoughtu that it was an interesting take
We like our guys

yes it was…
I don’t think CDIII vs DJ right now is the difference. And Amik was looking pretty bad near the end of his tenure here.
The big mistake was not hiring an experienced coordinator when AG left. That’s clear with hindsight, but also a pretty reasonable assertion at the time.
I think Dan could’ve gotten Dennis Allen, and I think last season and this season both look a lot different.
They earned contracts here. They went with his MO, which is to play for a contract. They both did and they both got low-balled.
Well DJ Reed was a #2 across from Sauce
CD3 proved he can be the #1
And his size /length was something we once coveted for our DBs
Kerby, Iffy, CD3…
I’ve seen less talented defenses that were middle of the pack
There was no excuse for not hiring top-tier talent for the coordinator
A handful of Lion’s fans were low on CD3 when he was here, I laughed at them internally every time they put it out there
Just rename The Den and get it over with already. Welcome to The Monday Morning Quarterback Club!
We would be in same spot. I am not saying are secondary is even good but when you look close at the system it sucks. I was willing to wait few games new system takes some time but they are not even close. The secondary has no idea what they are doing an to have so many making these major mistakes its not ability its what they want or expect them to do an they are not right CBs to do the job.
Second point why do we continue to play same players who make same mistakes? The rookie Abby has not been given a honest shot same with Rake considering he has best rating CB. Is Whiteside that bad when you see the play of what they are using?
Actually, now that I look at it, that’s a better scheme than Shep is running. Less defenders bumping into each other.
We resigned Davenport, so there’s that…![]()
And Reed our #1 is rated to the 50’s

It’s definitely a talent issue also. DJ Reed, rock , Maddox and Clark not one of these guys are solid, they are a low end starter on there best days, and back ups on every day, and on a bad day they look like street FAs. That probably the least talented DB group in the NFL.
We all recognize that the money matters too. But I don’t know that we really saved a material amount.
When we let CD3 go, I thought it was an indication that we were going to be changing to a greater zone scheme. That personnel decision made sense IF we were going to more zone coverage.
This season may go down as a perilous tale of how hubris and the smelling one’s own farts can go very wrong…
When they posted the names of the secondary depth chart during a preseason game, that was truly a wtf are we doing moment for me
Amik is an indictment of Shep’s system, Reed is another, Campbell this year. I can go on and on.
The Lions have some clear holes in the secondary in terms of player personnel but when you see guys play much better elsewhere and/or guys regressing here, it’s becoming pretty clear what the issues are. Not to mention the eye test that not only I see but experts who have played the game seeing the confusion in the Back 7 and the disconnect between LBs and DBs. You should never be the worst defense in the league by a mile considering all the investments the Lions have on this defense.