The biggest pick ups for the lions might not have been in the draft

The 2 new defensive coordinators Williams for the line and Townsend the new cb coordinator .I believe will be and have proven to be 2 of the very best in the business, one of the main keys for this club is player development and these are 2 of the best , the lions will have a top ten defense this year and these two coordinators will be major reason why imho.

8 Likes

I can’t wait to see Steele Chambers play. Don’t know what we’re going to do with another LB, but, I don’t think he’s really a long shot.

How did this kid not get drafted?

3 Likes

Everybody looks good in their highlights. Im not expecting much out of him.

4 Likes

He’s multiple. ILB, OLB, RB, I’ll bet he makes the team.

3 Likes

As a new staff of first time coaches (I now Campbell had a stint as interim HC), coordinators, and GM, the Lions have had to work through a few bumps with the staff. First and foremost, those bumps were handled in a very professional manor. But it still took a while to work through what was wanted and needed on the staff.
Dan had to demote midseason, and ultimately replace his first OC.
I seems like AG has replaced everyone on his staff except Kevin Sheppard. As a former DB, it appears AG has had a particular hard time with his DB coaches.
The results haven’t been there with the secondary so hopefully AG can take a more active role or has learned to get an understanding of how he wants them to play his defense and what he wants communicated.
There’s a fine line as a Head Coach and Coordinator in letting your coaches coach, and being sure your scheme is being communicated and coached properly.
Hopefully this is the staff that will take this team to the Super Bowl.

4 Likes

I sure hope so. It’s been musical chairs at defensive position coaches. We need some stability and coaches that can develop players.

Someone like Iffy, entering year 4 has had a different position coach every year.

5 Likes

I’m not sure the Lions would consider him at LB.

My first thought… considering the Vaki pick…

is that he might be a practice squad guy that play special teams…
and be a backup RB.

2 Likes

Special Teams is a given. He’s not likely to crack the rotation for a couple of years. Like the rest, he’ll have to earn his stripes on ST to get playing time.

The biggest asset imho is the way coaches develop players . Most if not all the lions players are getting better ( some game by game ) the 1 position that took a step back last year was The defensive line . Hopefully Williams which I think he will develop and scheme much better then the last coach from penn st. Im telling you guys barring injuries this defense will be too 10 . Imho

1 Like

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/steele-chambers/32004348-4113-1677-56a4-a22ead29d76e

I guess i don’t see the surprise about him not getting drafted. He was not suppose to get drafted. When you look at the guys at the position right now: barnes, anzalone, campbell, JRM, Rodrigo. With all the talent on this team and with other development pieces going to be needing an active roster spot, seems highly unlikely that they would earmark a spot for a 6th LB who is just a ST guy over others…who might have a higher ceiling.

I just said I was intrigued. I wasn’t planting a flag.:rofl:

2 Likes