The Ford’s don’t care about winning a Championship

Or you grew up playing hockey and football in Northern Ontario winters, and aren’t a pussy! haha I guess I’m in the 1%. But the big house is getting over 100, 000 fans in the freezing cold, remember the game last year in the snow vs OSU. Football in the snow is a freaken blast and it can be a massive advantage when the opponent is not used to it.

“Playing” is moving. Playing in a cold weather game is nowhere close to the misery of attending one. I would urge you to put it on your bucket list to attend a cold weather football game. And don’t “pussy” out by wearing a bunch of gear. LOL

I’ve spent a ton of time outdoors in the cold. I have only attended one cold weather football game. I said “never again.”

2 Likes

I’ve attended tons of football/hockey games below zero, probably coached in even more, played in a bunch as well, you’re right though it’s much easier to play in when adrenaline kicks in. The worst is outdoor rink hockey practice when it’s -30 in Feb. It’s not any different than people who like ice fishing!

No, we cannot do what Arizona and Vegas are doing.

From a FreePress article where the Lions spent $750K to replace the turf in 2019
“No,” Ford Field vice president of operations Todd Argust said Thursday. “There’s no indoor facility that you can grow grass in, unless you’re in a situation like an Arizona where there’s actual trays that can go outside. We don’t have the footprint here to accomplish that.”

Romeo was hurt in Chicago
Vaitai was hurt in Pittsburgh
Chark was hurt in Minnesota
Walker was hurt in Minnesota
Cephus was injured at Ford Field $971K on IR

So how much of an issue is Ford Field?

Also here’s percentage rates of players on IR from Turf to Grass.

If 1% warrants a change then do it or is it just an acceptable variance.

It cost $750,000 to replace the turf in 2019 (which was approved by the NFL/NFLPA) and it’s scheduled to be replaced again in 2024. Personally, I don’t think there is significant data to suggest that the turf at Ford Field is worse than any other turf or natural grass. It’s just a series of injuries during the Packers game that brought it up. Again, Cephus is the only player to sustain his injury at Ford Field, the others were all at other facilities.

If you took your time, you could look up and disprove your comments without having me do it for you.

1 Like

The nfl players are bringing this up and the NFLPA seems to suggest there is important variance and considerations including
The players input.

You cite the cost like it’s an obstacle yet it’s insignificant really in comparison to the valley of franchise and cost of doing business.

There’s indoor grow facilities imo it’s a matter of money and will to make it happen

And it likely doesn’t move needle much for owners who get paid even if $69m is on IR.

Now what about attracting too free agents ? If this is voice of players wouldn’t that up considerations and possible costs or even ruling out of players ?

1 Like

Then why didn’t they negotiate it into the last CBA?

I’m citing the cost to show it isn’t an obstacle. If the Ford’s need to shoulder the cost so be it, but if the NFL approved the use of slit turf, then the NFL should shoulder the cost . . . or better yet take the cost to replace the fields straight off the top of the shared revenue (since the NFLPA never thought it was important enough to negotiate with the CBA.

Where?

1 Like

This is the key to me…

“Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass”

Imo
You dismiss one of my most important points

Attractiveness as a destination

So the optics the lions are incompetent , cheap and don’t care about their players

Add the the cost of doing business

Imo
The owners have always outmaneuvered the NFLPA which likely has the weakest union given how many players are in the league and how quickly they churn through them and how many of the players think they’ll be long term players yet only last 3 seasons

How informed are the members?
With emphasis on safety now I imagine it’ll come up and if a team makes the change
It likely pressures other owners to step up to

Interestingly is while nfl owners can bear the cost , or even nfl players

What about all the fields in use at places that don’t have billionaire backing ?

If those numbers are accurate, I’d say that all Turf needs to be replaced. But it doesn’t agree with other numbers that I’ve seen on the internet (posted by Ian Rapport).

The Raiders and Cardinals have room to put their playing field outside. I know that Ford Field does not have room to store the playing field outside, so I don’t know what the solution would be.

1 Like

At this point, it might just all be an information war… sounds familiar in the current state of the world. It’s hard to know what to believe these days. Everyone has a stat that approves their opinion these days and I’m guilty of doing this, I really need to do that less often and listen more. @DeadStroke - Nothing but love and respect for you brother!

1 Like

I think its hilarious that billy sucked you guys down to his level to have a tit for tat argument about grass vs turf fields.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

2 Likes

I will add to the absurdity. Here is a pic of Ford Field, which is shoe horned in across the street from Tiger Stadium. The damn stadium itself barely fits. Now look at the Cardinals stadium. Notice a difference?

1 Like

Wait, wait, wait wait…wait a got dan minute.

You’re telling me the Airline where you can’t move your seat back has a giant building with a moveable roof???

Who do I sue for the leg cramps I got from saving $157 RT to Tampa…

3 Likes

no they can blow money , but that sure as F don’t equal wins here.

The cool thing about the “fords don’t care” argument is that it’s so vague and broad, literally anything can be offered as evidence for it.

2 Likes

they chose The Spartans/Lions as their fucking billionare hobby . they threw money into the hobby when they decided to mess with it, yet just slapped in any old dickheads to run the thing no matter if they had experience or not . that’s neglect and a sign of not caring if this team wins scheduled games. I began watching hard in 1978 I was five years old and just watching casually UNTIL, we kept losing and losing and losing and the damn Lions were the punchline/butt of jokes and an embarassment ! next thing you know 0-16…SO I sat there waiting to see what The Fords were going to do…I thought NOW THEY’RE GOING TO FIX IT." but they did no such thing none of The Ford’s no changes made by our staff, no adjustments, nothing NOWHERE !!! That is proof that nobody cared enough to really turn it around then. I was blown away. look what happened from 0-16 nothing but revolving doors at :HC , DC, GM, QB, RB, WR, and more. defense ONE time in my life…and they destroyed it when it WAS on top Who The F does that ??? , The Fords and the crumbs they placed to run this team back then. Our defense has never been close to that again, who doesn’t care again ------- here we are fast forward all the way to 2022 GREAT fucking 2022 !!! Here we are still losing our ass off and without a defense most times STILL why? there is no excuse to have a pathetic defense for 30 years ! But everyone that runs the team??? apparently IT’s JUST FINE… toss your money around like you give a damn.

You can absolutely argue Fords under Russ Thomas and chuck schmidt did not care. What evidence is there for that? They treated the team with total indifference. Refused to invest money into signing top players or keeping their own top players. Refused to make personnel changes for years and years. Basically, just spent the minimum to keep a roster that could suit up on Sundays and never went beyond that other than by sheer luck.

Since then? The Lions have no doubt been historically incompetent. But the constant changes, the vast amount of money they’ve spent, The millions they’ve burned signing GMs and coaches, then eating the dead money for those GM’s and coaches, signing high priced free agents and then eating the dead money when those free agents suck, are not the behavior of an indifferent organization. They’re the behavior of an incompetent one.

1 Like

Stare Down The Good The Bad And The Ugly GIF

It’s just conversation

Still in the news. Still isn’t helping sell Detroit as a destination that is first class all the way and cares about their players.

6-7 fields out of 32

Plus lions chose to build with this field
Maybe they did need to investigate it further ?

Why didn’t nflpa care earlier ? Does it matter if they do care now ?

Imo these little things add up
So unless lions win despite these impressions
Because joining a winner is a selling point

The bad press or narratives may not help the lions whether they’re true or not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.