The hidden value of DE Trey Flowers--a video analysis

I think what really doomed the play was that Philly had 3 receivers to the left and they all ran routes away from that side while Davis and Kennard collapsed the pocket on the other side flushing Wentz to the side that there were no longer receivers.
I don’t think it’s as great of a defensive scheme as it is just confusing…and then you get pressure and that makes any scheme seem great.

Yeah, I think it was widely advertised that Flowers wasn’t just a sack guy but did get a lot of QB pressures. So most knew he wasn’t going to be a 15+ sack guy.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I do think this video is weak though only showing one play to state your case.

Arm length is over-rated, Devin Taylor had great length. Aaron Donald has shorter arms than Flowers. So yeah…

Exactly, so while Flowers is not a big sack guy he is starting to get some pressure. Now add in his ability to help disrupt in other ways. That is just more value he is adding.

Flowers was near as I can tell the most coveted defensive free agent on the market this year, and the Lions signed him. He has 4 years’ experience in the scheme they run and is a SB champion. It’s precisely because they’ve gone out and gotten guys who fit this scheme, like Flowers, Tavai and a couple of solid man corners (sorry Nevin Lawson) that they’ve knocked off a couple of teams they were supposed to lose to and it’s only week 4.

Yeah, they’ll probably get their first L tomorrow vs. KC. But they’re not starting out in a hole and are right in the thick of things in the North.

1 Like