The Lions have too many picks!

Its even worse than that! Look at some posts. Now we need to trade down from 34 so that we can pick up picks in the rounds that we don’t have picks. So we need to get a lesser player so that we can get MOAR lesser players. Need moar lesser weaponz!

1 Like

future firsts, bro!

1 Like

3-7 last year. Just throwing that out there.

In fairness here, the way Holmes crushes mid to late round picks, I’d like about 27 of them.

1 Like

Is that over 50?

Edit: just looked his stats again, yea over 50 he needs work on. But he is much better than what we have had the last few years at least.

You have to remember that those feel good stories are only possible on a team void of talent. If we had a full LB room, Shep made it clear Rodrigo wouldn’t have been on the field. James Houston was cut and barely got a chance to play on the 2022 team. He probably doesn’t make the roster and never hits the field on the 2023 team and beyond.

The late round drafting has been inspiring but the reality is less and less of those guys will have a chance to play going forward. So its better to take less shots and better players IMO.

I’d still like to see what Ford-Wheaton can do as a late flyer.

Hold on you don’t think Houston is going to make the roster this upcoming season…he had 8 sacks in 7 games for crying out loud. Maybe you’re joking and I don’t get it. haha

2 Likes

I think he’s saying now that the Lions roster is getting better, guys like that won’t get the chance to have the impact like they did in Holmes’ first two seasons. Eventually the roster will be so good that even if Brad is crushing his late round picks, they won’t have the same impact because they won’t have the chance

2 Likes

Such a great problem to have. When you’re drafting Kerby’s and St. Browns in the mid rounds and they have to fight and win training camp battles to even get on the field, that’s a really, really good thing.

It’s like when we draft a corner in round 2 today, that guy probably isn’t going to even start this year, which is great.

1 Like

We know what Brad thinks of Mock Drafts, I wonder what he thinks of fan forums?

No. What I’m saying is that if James Houston were a rookie in 2023, he gets cut the same way he got cut from the 2022 team. The difference is he probably doesn’t get called up on T-Day like he did in 2022. So in 2023 and beyond we may have another James Houston type late round rookie in our grasp. We may just never know because he won’t make the team and won’t get snaps to prove himself.

1 Like

I got you, opportunity is everything. Some guys take advantage of it, and other guys take a massive dump when their chance comes.

There are just so many injuries in training camp and during the nfl season, can never have enough talent and depth is where I’m coming from. We started a 5th or 6th string guard at one point. Last year we had about 20 guys on injured reserve at one point and still 53 more on the active roster.

I love depth (that’s what she said!). But I am saying that as we transition into having a better roster, it makes more sense to focus on taking better players earlier in the draft for depth and development rather than playing lottery tickets that we don’t have the time to see if they are a winner or not.

Guess the Lions took care of this today.

2 Likes

I was going to say–not any more.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.