The Matt Patricia-era Detroit Lions are almost completely gone

Kept the wheat; the chaff is gone.

4 Likes

Tonight Show Dark GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

2 Likes

The four they kept are key starters for this team.

4 starters. From 3 or 4 years.

Brad had 4 starters last year alone.

Dark days indeed…

2 Likes

Absolutely absurd how bad that pair was.

2 Likes

But not as bad as the worst GM in NFL history.

3 Likes

Of the 88 Players on the Roster.
4 Are from Pre Holmes. (Decker, Ragnow, Fox, Kennedy)
14 Are from 2021
12 Are from 2022
27 Are from 2023
31 Are from 2024

Thats how you flip a franchise

Oh and 22/23 of his draft picks are currently on the team. Only one not is Chase Lucas. Currently with the SF 49ers.

And I think Jefferson is the only one that wont make the team.
So 21/23 Almost HALF the roster will be Draft Picks

Oh and if you want to throw in Wright and Gilmore.

23 drafted or UDFA by Holmes could be on the 53 man.

Actually, there is one Caldwell guy left, though he was a Quinn pick we are missing

1 Like

Jalen Reeves Maybin?

4 Likes

Happy Days Thumbs Up GIF

1 Like

Fox had him tossed after ruining the greatest punt in the history of the universe.
#NeverForgiven

1 Like

Lucas tried hard… playing with and downing Fox’s balls . .hardest job ever :wink:

JRM, Glasgow, CJ Moore all left and came back.

If you look at it in its most generous light, the “old guard” would be:
16 = Decker, Glasgow
18 = Ragnow, JRM
19 = Skipper, Kennedy, Moore
20 = Fox

Of them, though, Skipper, Kennedy, Moore and Fox are undrafted Free Agents who may or may not have bounced around the NFL a little bit.

2 core players.
2 good players that have flown the coup but returned.
4 good UDFA/Waiver claims
Unknown number of players still in the league

If we’re using a SB team (Chiefs) for reference:
13 = 1
16 = 1
17 = 1
18 = 1
19 = 2
20 = 3

4 drafted players for the Lions, 9 for the Chiefs.
It’s the 19 and 20 drafts under Quinn + Patricia that seriously set the franchise back.

2 Likes

Gotta draft well. And develop players!

Wright, Mitchell, Barns, Iffy were not over night hits. It took 2 years for them to find their footing.

I think a similar thing can be said for guys like BroMart, Sorsdol, Green and probably half the guys from this year.

1 Like

Looking at it another way, it’s the 19 and 20 drafts that moved the franchise forward. They were so bad, those decisions helped usher in the early exit of Quinn & Patricia and led to the hiring of Holmes & Campbell.

3 Likes

Trying to be awesome vs being awesome. That thing had enough hang time on it that he could have taken a nap while waiting for it to come down. I thought it was a super-easy play. I was pissed.

Which shows they were good picks. I know this article is meant to throw shade at the prior regime. But several guys who were picked by Quinn and did move on, moved on to large contracts so that certainly doesn’t mean they were bad picks as other teams valued them enough to drop big money on them. I think if you run this exercise for any team that has a new staff come in, you’d see similar percentages of turnover after 3 seasons. I still contend that Quinn was pretty good at talent evaluation, he just massively screwed the Head Coaching pooch and the cooks burnt the grocery.

1 Like

cough Levi cough

1 Like

I never believe in players with back issues