The NFL is an entertainment industry and nothing matters

Sorry, I’ve gone down this rabbit hole, and yes the Lions lack of success has contributed to it… but I think I’m done with pro sports. I think all the leagues are fixed or manipulated in some way, and I’ve lost faith in “fair” competition throughout the leagues. From the NBA and the ref betting on games, the NHL and awful calls against the red wings to promote the up and coming Crosby and before that, the uphill battle they faced because they had “too many Russians” and Canada didn’t like that, which they definitely overcame… to the NFL and all of the awful, atrocious calls throughout the league. I mean it’s ridiculous. I read this and it’s so apparent - the NFL is entertainment, nothing more. Not that they are holding the Lions down, but once they decide they are the joke of the league and constantly kicked when down, it just seems all too much and too obvious. The league is not legit, and i truly think this is not fair sport competition but soap opera entertainment.

I think I’m done. But tell me I’m crazy… tell me I’m wrong… and maybe it’s because we are just so incredibly bad I’m separating myself for the rest of the year… but some of these arguments and discussions seem legit… simple google search of “the NFL is fixed”

2 Likes

Additionally, how good is it for nfl ratings or popularity to always have a team to kick around - like the cubs for a long time, just a team to always make fun of and never take seriously is also good for publicity… why they keep the lions on thanksgiving - hey we’ll get a lot of people to make fun of the team…

I still hope for the best with this regime but even if they find success I don’t think I trust the league anymore, and I think it’s all comes back to the mobs and the specially now Vegas, gambling is legal everywhere… Vegas never loses. It’s too much going on. Show me how the league is not fixed is a great question.

1 Like

In 2021, I’ve given up trying to talk people out of conspiracy theories. It’s everywhere and it’s exhausting and 99% of them require the intellect of a fifth grader to unravel. When someone questions the moon landing, my default response is now “you believe in the moon?” Because they’re assholes and that’s the response they deserve.

The NFL fixing things belongs in the silly conspiracy theory camp.

But if you’re looking for a debate, it won’t happen, at least not with me.

2 Likes

I’d only add there’s far more evidence that Detroit has been inept than there is the league actively working against them.

2 Likes

I’m not debating the moon landing, or even saying the NFL is fixed every game all the time. Let me clarify, favoritism is definitely apparent, and it’s no coincidence the same teams are usually always in contention for the playoffs. There is an obvious bias in refs, not just in the nfl but in other leagues as well. What I’m saying is with the gambling becoming legal everywhere, it’s pretty hard not to believe they have no influence on the game at the professional level.

Like I said call me crazy, and maybe I’m just sick of the Lions this year. But I think there’s a lot of money at stake and cash talks.

1 Like

it’s a good point. When we did have a legit difference maker in Suh the league penalized him for tackling too hard and made him out to be a villain

have you seen any of that since he left the Lions?

3 Likes

He … stomped on players who were on the ground.

1 Like

Also too what’s the definition of a conspiracy theory? Claiming the earth is flat or saying “hey they say they are entertainment and there’s a boat load of money involved” because I feel there’s a difference.

It doesn’t change how anyone feels about how Dan Campbell coaches but it does change the perspective of how much it even matters anyway.

the stomp was questionable. The tackle by the hair against Tiki Barber, the push tackle against Cutler…

those were all legal but called a penalty and ‘dirty’. ESPN couldn’t get enough of talking about how horrible Suh is as a person and bad for football. Also the stomp was pretty weak sauce. If Suh seriously wanted to ‘stomp’ on someone there would be damage involved

2 Likes

As opposed to players who have taken head shots, horse collared, done equally egregious things yet weren’t penalized? Also too, I’m not just talking the nfl, I’m talking all leagues and it’s already been proven in the nba. Why would any other professional league be different?

Just sayin… we can all hate the fords or Jerry Jones or whoever, but they are all part of the same team… if Dan Gilbert or Steve Jobs or Jeff bezos bought the lions it probably wouldn’t be any different… and yes I know Steve Jobs is dead. Just sayin

The lights out on the ravens 49ers… the no pass interference against the rams and saints… and so so many before that… it’s a lot. There is a lot of things to support the league has favoritism

I’m not looking for a debate. I’m simply stating how I feel.

If you can honestly watch that footage and come away with “NFL just wanted him to be a villain” than my point about conspiracy theories has been made.

It’s why sociopaths believe QAnon and other nonsense. Even actual evidence doesn’t matter some times.

The Lions have been a terrible franchise, and that’s far more provable than a silly theory about the NFL rigging games.

1 Like

That lineman was going for his knees all game and wasn’t letting go of his foot. Do you really think Suh put all his weight into a stomp there. It was more of a gtfo

And you must be forgetting all the other penalties he took that weren’t actual penalties. Remember the Cutler shove. I think he was fined and radio did 24 hour coverage on why he was dirty. It was a legal tackle

Remember the Tiki Barber hair tackle? I think he may have been fined for that too

I also think you’re indulging in a bit of irrelevant extremes. I didn’t say the league is fixed. I said it certainly seems like players and penalties are called and held to different standards. Same thing Goff said to the refs. Same thing Lang said. Consider when Stafford was a Lion the talking heads considered him barely above average. The second he’s with the Rams he’s suddenly an MVP and Collingsworth can’t contain his boner

3 Likes

Ok, not meant as a debate or even about the Lions… was just saying I think the league and all the money involved along with the multiple incidents involved in the past, including those not involving the lions, show the league is rigged or fixed to some degree. Only my opinion. Tell me I’m wrong, which you have.

As exciting as it is when your team does well, as great as it is when the lions win, or whoever wins, i just find it harder to get excited about when the final result is already predetermined to some point. And all we as fans are entitled to is “entertainment” and a “seat at the show.”

And a show it is.

1 Like

Exactly.

And when did tiki barber have hair??? My memory is failing me. He has always been bald in my mind

Sorry meant Marion. Thinking of the wrong Barber

1 Like

Ahh yes. The Marion barber hair tackle… right on I remember that

I will never forget that facemask in the preseason against the bengals, and I think it was Andy dalton - where he ripped his facemask and head right around - that was dirty! No argument there. If I recall correctly which I probably don’t that was his rookie year.

Anyway, the “stomp” was garbage. Much worse has been done in games.

1 Like

I seem to recall around the same time Matthews from GB launched himself at a QB out of bounds in a blatantly violent late hit.

The media didn’t talk about his dirty it was and how he was bad for football. They said he was a ‘hard-nosed gritty player’

Our very own Alex Karras God rest his soul was suspended a year along with Paul Hornung.

It runs very deep and even more intricate and complex today.

1 Like