The State of the Lions Salary Cap

So I was thinking of projecting out contracts for Goff, ARSB and McNeil, along with rookie draft picks for the next couple of years and

I can not tell you how impressed I am with the Lions cap situation. Before we do any extensions, for 2026, we have Frank Ragnow, Jack Fox and a bunch of rookies, that’s it and we have the entire NFC championship roster to decide who to bring with us going forward (Goff, ARSB, Hutch, McNeil, etc) and on top of that we haven’t mortgaged the future, currently we will have only $5.25M of dead cap allocated to 2026. :astonished: :astonished:

Plus we have BH and MCDC leading us . . . it is a good time to be a Lions fan.

leo GIF

We can do whatever the hell we want to do. BH will be smart though, even though he’s made mistakes (all GM’s do), they’ve been minor and he will be calculated. Can’t wait to see what he does.

14 Likes

Great to hear from our cap expert! The question I have is if they are willing to sacrifice this for a playoff run. My guess is no.

It is very possible we could see trade ups with picks, gap with free agency, and cap use on extensions.

2 Likes

With a little Mike Disner thrown in…

6 Likes

and Rod Wood, Sheila Hamp, Chris Spielman . . . we have a good group.

6 Likes

Our cap guru is gonna have a busy two weeks.

With Goff and ARSB accounting for 300 million, Goff will only be a difference of about 40 million but SB will add about 95 million to the books. I would love to add Wilkins (20 million per year) and Sneed (18 million per year)

BH watched Les Sneed build a Super Bowl roster, by first drafting well, then by making trades. I think everything is on the table, at the right price.

11 Likes

Given that the topic was salary cap, and given Disner is basically in charge of contract negotiations and cap management, I thought that merited his specific inclusion.

5 Likes

Don’t forget Dorsey has been huge as well. Great to have an experienced GM in the room. Especially when Holmes was first getting started.

5 Likes

I can never think of his name, but Chris Spielman talked about him in that long freep interview. There is some guy who works directly beneath Disner. He’s basically spent three years just being a big sponge and he’s about to get his fourth lesson. The appearance is that should Disner decide to leave, he will step right in and keep it rolling.

Lions have done a nice job of making sure their top people (office to coaching) have people under them.

1 Like

Brandon Sosna

3 Likes

I think we ought to start giving Ray Agnew some credit. He’s the man behind the scenes. He whispers in Disner’s ear, and Holmes would be nothing without his right hand man.

In fact, he should become a GM in the next next hiring cycle. Its all due to Ray Agnew, guys!! And it has nothing to do with beans.

EDIT:

Ah, there it is!

Happy The Office GIF

*Moseley Penciled in at $2m

step brothers bedroom GIF

1 Like

OTC has zero in 2027 and $49M total active and dead.

You can find your mistake by looking here.

What’s the difference, I know OTC is right?

Thank you.

Its Campbell and Gibbs 5th year options. My estimates are the current minimum but they will go up based on cap numbers and if they make probowls.

So its anyones guess.

3 Likes