Things I was Wrong About

Ngata was here to eat blocks, not go chasing down tackles.

2 Likes

Apparently he was able to do both in Baltimore. Weird

Yes, that’s what’s called a different scheme. They moved him around and you might even see him standing up like Okwara. We played him like a nose tackle.

1 Like

The problem is too many people get swept up in the kool-aid and wind up with unrealistic expectations. This was always going to be a bad team, the only question was what level of bad. Well the injuries, questionable coaching decisions, standard Lions luck have combined to make it very bad, but that was always more likely than some sort of surprise average season.

I expected something along these lines so I’m not overly worried. I want to see improvement, but I’ve already seen signs of resilience which is a step up from the last regime. The Bears game got away from us through sheer, overpowering Lion luck, but I’m pretty sure we’ll bounce back.

3 Likes

I feel it too - I’m was ridiculously overly-optimistic, with my 6-8 win prediction.
Next season, still lots more gelling with different position groups, we become the youngest team in the league by a mile, and still see a lot of rookie errors…
Also next year - we have more depth and talent, we are no longer taking WWII air planes against Stealth Bombers, smart bombs and fighter jets…we are learning to use the same weapons that other teams have.

Gonna be interesting, and a ton more turnover. Possibly close to as much as we had this year. I still want a big, angry fat guy that just owns the middle, and consistently blows the pocket up.
If I can’t have him, I want the 2nd coming of LT.
WR help is guaranteed to come in the first 3 rounds (probably our late first round pick).
If we’re rolling w/Goff long term, I feel a Golden Tate -type would best support him. His average pass is traveling 3.3 yards beyond the LOS. That has to be an NFL low.
It sure is fun watching Ramsey (Rams) and White (Tampa) play too.

1 Like

I still don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility that we eke out six games. That’s basically best case scenario at this point and highly unlikely, but I really do have high hopes for improvement as the season goes along. Four would be my bet, but I wouldn’t be shocked by six.

I also wouldn’t be shocked if our WR help comes via FA. Like a Michael Gallup type player. It’s like when Holmes and the Rams picked up Robert Woods in FA. He wasn’t a superstar signing, but he’s worked out very well for them. He needs to be young enough to see the other side of the rebuild, but there should be plenty of options. Maybe a WR in the draft too, but it doesn’t have to be a 1st rounder. Kupp was a 3rd rounder the same year they added Woods.

If I’m in charge I’m hammering defense the way Carolina did last year. Unless we pick between 7-10 and Willis is available, I’m all in on D. Give me a Kyle Hamilton, a Sauce Gardner. Give me Devin Lloyd at LB, or a coverage freak like Overshown. Give me Thibodeaux or Hutchinson. Just give me some damn defenders. I’m really envious of Cleveland getting Newsome and JOK this past draft. I’d love something like that.

1 Like

That is the early prognostication of Thibodeaux? is tis dude projected to be the Cajun LT? Is he Chase Young level? I’m almost feeling that, if he can be a superhero pass rusher. I’m just a dude who loves and appreciates a monster interior DL. I prefer a DT that can juuuust create chaos. I feel it’s easier to plan around a DE, in today’s offenses. If the pocket is just blown the ■■■■ up every snap, it limits the playbook so much and takes teams away from what they normally do. Helps the entire defensive backfield and the LBs can operate more cleanly without getting caught up in the wash.

I still want home run ability on O. I feel we are too one-dimensional. It would dramatically help our ability to come from behind, as well as create layers of respect in terms of being able to stack the box against us. Forcing zone or hybrid zone on one side of the field at least.

I was ridiculously over optimistic with my 4 win prediction.

2 Likes

I go into each offseason with some hope and optimism even though knowing the history of this franchise. For me it’s not worth supporting a team I can’t be excited about. It’s not until 3-4 games in that I realize hope is lost for the season LOL.

2 Likes

I hear ya, man. I know it intellectually, but as soon as that ball is kicked off, my inner fan takes over and the passion starts to come forward. LOL

1 Like

Those guys really don’t grow on trees though. After the freak Aaron Donald, the best DTs are space eaters with slight havoc-causing rush upside like Vita Vea, Dexter Lawrence, Derrick Brown, Akiem Hicks, Brandon Williams, Cam Heyward. I’m really hoping McNeil can join this group one day.

Aside from Donald, the best penetrating DTs are guys like Jeffrey Simmons, Grady Jarrett, Jonathan Allen, Quinnen Williams, Chris Jones, but they’re not having much of an effect on the overall defenses of those teams. The Titans, Jets, Chiefs and Falcons kinda suck, and WTF’s D is maybe the most disappointing unit in the league. Buckner’s good in Indy but he lines up on the edge as much as he does inside nowadays. Actually Dre’Mont Jones in Denver is probably the best one of these after Donald so far, but that has a lot to do with Fangio and the guys around him. Cox and Hargrave are great in Philly and probably both fit into this category, but Cox especially isn’t the havoc-wreaker he used to be (and just look what Dallas and KC did to them over the past couple of games). Osa Odighizuwa’s off to a great start for Dallas.

Basically, I question how much non-Donald impact DTs have on games overall. Vea’s impact is huge, but for different reasons. I know it seems like they should be very impactful - after all the shortest distance between two points is a straight line meaning DTs should get to the QB more quickly, and interior pressure means QBs can’t step up in the pocket. But the evidence doesn’t necessarily back that up.

For me the position doesn’t matter, just give me talented, preferably fast players on defense. Fly to the ball, tackle, dominate. If that’s a DT, so be it, but every position can and should be upgraded. I really regret missing out on JOK, that guy’s playing lights out.

2 Likes

Suh was great for plowing through the O-line, then having so much momentum that he blew right past the QB.
That’s what I like about a 4-3. You don’t find many disrupters in a 3-4.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You couldn’t have possibly known how bad of a in-game coach Dan Campbell would turn out to be

He inherited a horrible team. The only way this team wins any game this season is playing balls out and taking risks.
Seriously, look at the talent level of this team and tell me the coaches and QB are the problem.
This team will never be a contender if we continue to place the blame in the wrong place!
This is not a very talented team.
Goff. Ragnow. Decker. Sewell. Hock. Swift. Williams…and Offense is our strength.
Alim. Brockers. Romeo.
Cephus began the season #3 behind Perriman and Williams. He’s the best we have. He would be on the practice squad of most teams.
We have nothing behind the D-line.
To make matters worse, our Kicker sucks.
Yeah, Campbell is a bad coach.
Let’s spend the next 60 years searching for that magician that can turn shit into gold.

2 Likes

While it’s on my mind.
Why would anyone want to come here?
Think about it. The 3 biggest Stars the Lions have had in the last 30 years, quit!
I don’t know how you fix that?