Things I was Wrong About

This team is 0-4 and they are looking like an 0-4 team. At this point in the season I thought this club would become a tough out. That isn’t happening. Why?

I thought Jamie Collins, Trey Flowers and Michael Brockers would stabilize this DL. Nope. Jamie Collins mailed it in and got fired. F that guy. He is unlikely to play another down in the NFL. Trey Flowers? I love this guy and I bet the coaches to do but you can’t help the club from the tub. He isn’t helping. Brockers seems to be a shell of himself here. Those developments are beyond disappointing.

I thought Will Harris might show us something. Nope. Hot garbage. This guy cannot grasp the calls. The rest of this secondary appear lost. Just lost. That has to reflect on this staff at some levels. Okudah looked awful when he was healthy. To be fair good at points and lost at points. The young guys are lost right now. Tracy Walker might be okay but the garbage around him is unwatchable.

In terms of the offense, this OL is okay but losing Decker has hurt a LOT. Sewell is MUCH rougher than I thought he would be at this point. The WRs cannot get it together and while Goff isn’t as bad as it seems he looks scared to make plays when teams come after him. He looks a lot like Stafford in 2013. I don’t see a guy the staff are building up and making better. But I have also seen moments of brilliance to be fair.

Injuries play a role but I refuse to use that as an excuse. We were bad week one and we are bad right now. This defense gave up 41 points week one, 35 points week two, 19 points last week to the ?
Ravens (who were 2-3 drops away from killing the Lions) and 24 today. To a rookie QB.

I liked the heart I saw last week but that all went away today. The Bears played harder, hit harder, played with more passion and straight treated the Lions like a JV team and we sat back and took it. Time and again.

Good things are happening but the unwatchable mistakes and building. The Ravens convert 4th and 19? Today we knew they were going to run it to protect their rookie and what happened? 31 rushes for 161 yards. 5 yards a carry. 3 rushing TDs. I thought a Dan Campbell defense would show more heart than that at this point.

4 game in, awful injuries, awful play and a few moments if good football. That is the Lions right now. I have never seen a Lions team shoot themselves in the foot as often as this team does on both sides of the football. I don’t see a team getting better. I thought this defense would be mid-pack or maybe high teens in terms of defense but we are a bottom 3 team and maybe we are the worst in the league on defense. I thought we would be MUCH better than that. I thought the days of the shit show on defense were over. Guess I was wrong about that too.

7 Likes

Penei is just a baby. His last two games haven’t been great but he’s going to figure it out. If our top 5 OL can stay healthy it’s an excellent OL.

7 Likes

You’re going to be hearing from Coyote. :rofl:

2 Likes

I picked them to go 2-15 to start the season. Now I feel like a kool aid drinking homer. This team will be lucky to win a game. Not many NFL caliber players on defense or the WR core.

3 Likes

I hear ‘ya Curious and you are right. I know Sewell will be great but I didn’t think he could be this bad either. Decker struggled at times as a rookie but it feels like Decker was better as a rookie than Sewell is right now. I know Sewell will take time but he is struggling right now in a way I didn’t think he could.

It is frustrating to see two top ten picks on this roster struggle like Okudah and Sewell are struggling right now. Okudah is injured of course but he was even more up and down than I expected at this point before he went down.

Paging DT Levi. Are you playing?

I don’t see the tough out right now. Four games in and it feels like players are getting worse, not better. That ain’t good and while I expected to start slow I thought we would keep games closer. It feels like a Stafford team making too many mistakes and then we wait for a miracle. I thought that kind of football was done here yet here we are falling down 21 points to the Bears with a rookie QB.

We must be close to setting a record for the most big money players contributing jack squat.

Pretty much every player that got a big contract either sucks, quit on the team, or is nursing a sprained toe/finger.

It’s alarming.

2 Likes

Well Sewell flashed in week 1 and 2. He looked good. Okudah never did though injuries offered him little opportunitiy.

3 Likes

Deandre Levi
Haloti Ngata
TJ Lang
Rick Wagner
Snacks

Those 5 pissed me off. They literally did nothing after we signed them to big contracts other than milk the Lions and play as little as possible

3 Likes

Its a thing in the NFL right now. Get guaranteed money, then focus on your health. Wtf?

Must suck to be a GM. You want to sign good players, but in the back of your mind, you know there’s a good chance once Jimmy’s got the guaranteed $$$, he’s looking to spend as much time in street clothes as possible.

The Dick fish giveth and the Dick fish take away

3 Likes

LOL

Agreed with you 90%. Only, I think Sewell is doing unreasonably well for a 20-year-old who hadn’t played football since his sophomore year in college back in 2019. No way a normal mortal starts at LT in the pros under those conditions.

I also expected the D to be weak because it is literally rookies, cast-offs and the same DBs who couldn’t cover last year. I just hope our rookie HC and GM recognize that those young players are hearing from every family member and friend they know that the Lions are cursed. So they got to give 'em the roadmap and say “this year is about determining the heart of the team and seeing who we can build around. Every game is a test of who you are and we’ll add up that score at years-end.”

4 Likes

All I wanted was professional competent coaching adept at clock and game game management. And we get the SOL buffoonery’s. Silly me. I get the the team sucks… players suck… but at least don’t add to the suckiness DC…

Will Harris’ biggest problem is between his two ears. He has to be who Campbell was talking about when he said “were seeing the same mistakes repeated by some players” in his presser. He just doesn’t get it.

Here is what I am wrong about: I though Levi Onwuzurike would make an impact. There are a couple of LBs in that 2nd round that we could have used. I mean me we could have used JOK or Pete Werner. Both starting. We were thin at LB. I know its early, so lets hope for the best. I thought he looked really good in his preseason debut, but he has been MIA since.

I feel like the Bears were the first team we faced where we got beat up on both sides of the LOS. Although we did run well early.

My biggest take from this game is we aren’t as bad as what we saw against the Bears and we aren’t as good as we saw against the Ravens. We’re a young team with ups and downs and while we aren’t winning this year, the key is going to be how Campbell withers this season and how he develops this team throughout the rest of the season.

9 Likes

I thought the long snapper change would come back to bite us in the first 4 games

But so far

No notable game losing error on a long snap

I also thought Lions would’ve Paid off Calvin to say their name in the hall of fame speech.

1 Like

Gotta be honest, I had no expectations or hard stances about this team this year outside of they would be really bad except on the offensive line and injuries have made that a thing.

3 Likes

Punter is ok, that’s good news.
The bad news is the rest of the team and the coach.
Maybe it would be better if it was the other way around.
Greetings from the Lions fans from Zagreb
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really? My recollection is that he was kind of a lynchpin when he was here - like the defense statistically was way worse when he was off the field.

Am I misremembering?

He played OK when he played…but always ended up in streeet cloths. The question was how many games would it take.

Look at his stats BEFORE he came here…then look at them once he got here.
His 3rd and last year he held out from training camp because he supposedly had personal stuff going on then got hurt out for the season 5 games in. Then wanted out.
But even the first two years when he played 14 and 13 games his tackles were like 1/2 what he was doing at Baltimore

1 Like

Ngata chance he replaced Suh

3 Likes