This explains why Duce is all over Swift

Because of Swift’s talent, either play was a makable play…it could be argued that either was good. I don’t think it’s sour grapes or carry over. I really felt like he had a better chance on the inside, even though he was gonna score either way.

Black as your soul?

2 Likes

Watch it again.
Vaitai whiffed on his block on the tackle, so Swift could not go right.
He was patient in the backfield and let Brock Wright (I think) come over and take 47 (Atlanta’s SAM) out of the play. He read that block correctly and had to go left. Once he was there, he had no choice but to take it wide to the pylon. I can’t see any other path to a TD. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C4_kAEd14&ab_channel=NFL

2 Likes

I think the overall teaching point to Swift is that yes, from time to time your innate talent will allow you to make plays out of structure like the one above. But over the long haul you’re much better off if you stay in structure and stick to the play as its blocked. He probably wouldn’t have scored on that play, you’re right, but the coaches are looking at much more than that one play.

It’s like poker. If you get in hands where you’re more than a 50% favorite, over time that will show in your pocketbook. The crazy aggressive plays will work from time to time but it’s no way to stay in the black.

5 Likes

I’d rather die…than give you control!!!

1 Like

Yeah. The other way to look at it, is give me a TD. I don’t care how you score, just give me a TD. That’s what Swift did. There’s an opposite side to it as well. If you’re always following the scripted play, even when you see your big right guard make a huge mistake, you need to be able to adapt. That’s what he did. Granted, Swift may need to follow the script more, so that may need to be the main message to him, but you don’t want to take away creativity when its needed. And sometimes it is needed.

1 Like

I took it as left over, "so don’t be celebrating, yet.":rofl:

1 Like

Oh sure you say that now…. Let’s see how you feel after we get a couple gin fizzys in you. :rofl:

1 Like

If my soul is gonna be black, it will be from my own mistakes.:rofl:

2 Likes

Well said, especially when teams send run blitzes into the backfield, you gotta be able to adjust as an RB. Not every play is going to be perfectly blocked, but when it is, follow the play design.

3 Likes

I hope that’s what it was. If Duce is saying, yeah, that one worked, but you still have alot to work on, OK, I think Swifty needs to hear that. But if Duce is saying, no you should have cut that one up the middle too, I don’t care if you get buried for a three yard loss, then I got a problem with that!

2 Likes

For sure and there’s a happy medium. I think it’s just easier to teach as ‘follow your blocks’ then have him create off of that than in reverse. Like I said earlier Matt Waldman called Shady McCoy a guy who learned how to do that and we know he went off-script plenty. But Swift just has to reduce those instances of freewheeling from that video above or he’ll never be the guy Duce and the rest of us believe he can.

2 Likes

I’m going to be kinda dickish. He has Duce coaching him. What, does he think Duce would tell him wrong?
Want a second opinion? He has access to Barry freakin Sanders!
Frankly, I’d like to hear Swift say he’s the best in the league. Then, fuck up the people that laugh.
Once he says it, he only has two choices and one of them is unacceptable.

1 Like

Right, OK, we’re on the same page here.

I just have very bad memories of this:

Bobby Ross: Barry, you WILL run behind your full-back, because I say so.
Barry Sanders: Man, this isn’t fun anymore. No I won’t. I quit.

Well he did say he’s looking to have a 1000 yard rushing and 1000 yard receiving year! Those are some lofty goals! Only been done 3 times in history. If he gets even close, we will be dancing in the street.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2022/08/18/detroit-lions-dandre-swift-1-000-yards-rushing-receiving-2022/10352526002/

2 Likes

Right you never want to take the wand out of a maestro’s hands, but that’s not at all what’s happening here. Swift is worse than he could be because of his decision-making, whereas Barry’s improvisational skills made him who he was. Swift can’t be Barry. Nobody can, he’s the greatest of all-time for a reason. Ross was an old school buffoon.

1 Like

That was the year Barry had 2000 yards. Bobby Ross’s first year as coach in 1997. 2053 yards to be exact. Barry had 53 yards total in the first 2 games and then went for 2000 in the next 14 games. Unreal season. We signed Tommy Vardell in free agency and Barry exploded with a FB and averaged 6.1 yards per carry, by far a career high. Bobby was right.

1 Like

LOL
This is why I don’t really drink.

3 Likes

I agree. Dude is definitely a softer energy. Someone like Jamo will be like, “I’ll show you, MF’r!!!” Then get along fabulously later…after he has proven himself “right”! LOL

This is an awesome analogy… And yes, some people are better at vision than others… but also, talent can cover up for a lot of things sometimes… but I think you also proved a point in that you learned how to look at things the way the better bikers did, even if you didn’t make the “best” decision… but learning patience and learning from mistakes especially when you have talent, can open up a lot of avenues. And even when lacking talent, learning from mistakes and making better in the moment decisions you start to learn the more reps you have.

Side note would love to get into biking! Gonna start with roller blading though which kicked my butt a bit today

1 Like